True Exclusives?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by misterd, Sep 25, 2006.

1. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Once you cut through the hype about power, controllers, and other tech specs, in the end it's the games that sell the consoles, particularly the exclusives. But as GCN owners found out with RE4, and now PS owners with GTA4, there is a difference between third party exclusives and 1st/2nd party exclusives.

While I expect to see little porting to and from the Wii, the longer it takes to declare a winner between the 360 and Ps3, the more likely a developer will begin to port their formerly exclusive titles. So the only titles that Microsoft and Sony can safely rely on are those they directly control. In that case, what does each console have to offer as guaranteed exclusives?

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    With Microsoft, several first party exclusives may end up on PC as well. Don't forget that.

3. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Almost every Xbox/Xbox360 game gets ported to PC. Halo is on the PC, Halo 2 is being ported for Windows Vista. The only ones that don't are from 3rd company parties that want more money and end up porting to other consoles.

And GTA was ported ever since GTA2. GTA2 was on the Dreamcast and PS1, GTA3 was ported to the Xbox and PC, along with Vice City and Andreas.

4. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is why i can't see why people want to spend so much money on a PS3, the only reason people used to were for tomb raider , GTA and crash bandicoot which have all now been made multiflatform. Nintendo on the other hand has metroid , mario ( times about 10 games per system) , zelda , smash brothers , wario ware , starfox etc etc and averages about 10 - 15 amazing games per system, look at the DS

Mario 64
    Mario Kart
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Starfox
    Wario ware
    Sonic Rush
    Nintendogs
    Phoenix Wright
    New super mario Bros
    Trauma centre

etc etc and microsoft has the great halo which sells consoles all by itself. The lack of first party products means sonys the only consoles i don't buy

5. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

Doubt it. They know what their PC base is hankering for and with the exception of the Halo's, their 1st party xbox games are not one of them.

6. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

There are only a few from Sony that come to mind such as SOCOM,Gran Turismo and God of War. Microsoft have Halo and PGR. Nintendo obviously have and will always have the best lineup of exclusive titles. These games alone are the reasons why their consoles sell.

In some cases you have companies who are multi console developers,but they seem to release their biggest profile games on a certain system. Square Enix with their big RPG franchises (the main FF games,Grandia,Star Ocean,Kingdom Hearts,Mana series etc),Konami (seems like MGS is sticking with sony systems for the time being) and Namco Bandai (Tales of series,Gundam) seem to keep their highest sellers on a certain system for the most part.

I think it comes down to the genre of game as well. Shooters and sports games are obviously going to be ported back and forth to milk whatever money they can,whereas RPG's will most likely only reach one console.

In the previous generation of gaming,I picked each console for its own reason. I bought an Xbox to play the exclusive games I couldnt play on the other consoles,and having superior technology (less loadtimes,5.1 sound) even made ported games better. The PS2 was for RPG's and the simple fact that there were so many more games made for it made it the best choice for a gamer. The Gamecube was for the Nintendo franchises.

7. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Nintendo's exclusives are literally legendary, and while its fun to hang them over the heads of PS and XB enthusiasts, it's about as necessary as listing the NY Yankees' championships. They know it, they get it, and they'll never match it.

You are short selling the Sony exclusives. Final Fantasy has been their big seller since the PS1 (indeed many credit FF7 as the title that put them over the top) and GTA3 cemented PS2's position as top dog. Other titles, like MGS, God of War, Devil May Cry and Jax and Dexter really helped (where no one gives a shit anymore about the 'coot). Of course, manyof these have gone or are going multi-platform.

Similarly, Nintendo did fabulously with the N64 exclusives, but with the loss of Rare and a slow down on 1st party titles, they simply couldn't build up the same quality library that the 64 had. Of course, Rare didn't really help MS either - I doubt "Grab the Ghoulies II" is in our future.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Remember when Crash Bandicoot was sorta the PS mascot...then it went multi-platform.

and i still think Nintendo got royaltly screwed with RE4...instead of waiting til the game came out, they announced a PS2-port just before the GC launch.

and with Killer7, they figured it'd get low sales on the GC so they bought it over to the PS2...but between both, it sold like crap (though i liked the game)

9. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

"This is why i can't see why people want to spend so much money on a PS3, the only reason people used to were for tomb raider , GTA and crash bandicoot"

Wow could i ever not disagree more..im an Xbox fanboy and even I know what makes Playstation great and its definitely not even close to Tomb Raider. RPG's man no system has as many RPG's or licenses under their belt as sony not even the mighty Nintendo (gameboy excluded because gameboy especially the SP is the shit and has a sweet number of rpgs) Final Fantasy comes to mind, then you have innovative games that ive never even seen on another system like Katamari Damaci, the Romance of the Three Kindoms series (4 for the snes is the best) Armored Core series, DEVIL MAY CRY...no mistake about it PS has STAR power bhind it....not to mention i get a raging boner every time i see a MGS 4 preview.

That being said Nintendo is SMILING because they have all they will ever need Mario + Zelda = multi million dollar BONANZA... Nintendo could just make mario and zelda games and that would probably still turn a tidy profit. when you consider owning the license to POKEMON too.... Nintendo knows its shit.

Xbox right now has the best and in my opinion the ONLY online system thats worth dick, for consoles.... the interface is smooth, and the integration of other software licenses near flawless... with the exception of EA because their servers suck penis. No FPS comes even close to ANYTHING hosted on a xbox live server doesnt matter the title... and i know PS fanboys will bring up some ridiculous argument about SOCOM but when it comes down to it its the interface, an interaction with other user accounts that would make SOCOM better on Xbox.

10. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

You see, this is where I see Sony falling big time in Japan. Big name titles like Final Fantasy and MGS are 3rd parties. Now just looking at Final Fantasy, SquareEnix (I hate that company for this very reason) only makes their big titles for 1 console. This is the console with the highest number of units sold. Its happened with PS1, PS2, and is happening with the DS right now. All the other consoles just get the crumbs of that company. That is the shit Im sick of. My thought is that if the PS3 starts looking not-so-hot, they will sink the console even further by making FF14 for only the Wii or 360 (by a longshot in Japan). There is no reason to keep a big game like that on one console for that company.

That being said, I now feel that Sony has a very respectable first party lineup. Within the last year, Sony has put out some great first and second party exclusives. God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, The Ratchet and Clank series, Jak and Dakter series. I see those as all respectable games. They have some great looking stuff coming to PS3 as well. Lair looks really cool, and is made by Factor 5. Warhawk looks like all sorts of pure awesome. Resistance looks cool for a console FPS.

Microsoft's first/second party lineup is less impressive however. People seem to love Halo, but I for one cant stand it. PGR is cool, and I like it. Thats about all the big big games on Xbox. I would have loved to play Crimson Skies but I nobody I knew with a Xbox had it. Also, I have not been impressed by the first party Microsoft games for 360. PDZero was none of the PD, but all of the Zero. Kameo seemed cool, but I dont know anyone who bought it. PGR3 was cool from what I played. and Viva Piniata just looks like “WTF?!”. Gears of War however looks AWESOME! But it also seems like one of those games I might have to spend some time with to see if I really like it.

Now Nintendo. As far as Im concerned, they have a killer lineup already. Zelda, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros, Excite Truck, Battalion Wars 2. All those look really really great to me. And its got a nice mix of Single player games like MP3, Zelda, Mario. As well as possible party games like Smash Bros and Excite Truck. Im not including titles Im really interested in such as Disaster: Day of Crisis, and Project Hammer, because of how little we know and have seen about these titles.

So as far as first party exclusives go, Im sure Nintedno will dominate again. Sony looks like they've gotten into the swing of things, and Microsoft could be quickly catching up. But Im really at a loss as to who will have the better 3rd party exclusives. It could split into three even pieces. Microsoft has some great third party stuff so far. Im not sure about the PS3. And Nintendo seems to be gaining a lot of support lately. So this is going to be an interesting battle. I would like to see fewer 3rd party exclusives, but I fear that things may just go the way of the highest bidder. :(