TRU to start taking PreOrders for toys...

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lumpy, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    just went to my local TRU, didn't find much, but a manager there informed me there have been emails going through the company to prep for stores for in-store preordering...

not sure of any other details, but I assume that if they do it like the video games, you'll put 5 bucks down on a new toy, and pay the rest when the toy arrives. I think its a great idea and hope it works well...

He also said they're expecting the Insecticons and Perceptor within the next few weeks.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Sweet! My brother and I are planning on going on a TF hunt within the next few weeks, so that would be the best thing for us if we can find the Insecticons and Perceptor at Toys R Us.

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting. Hope its true!

4. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Interesting. I know I'd use it all the time if this is true. At least for all of the items that hit local retail around here.

5. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    If this is true, I'm curious about how it'll actually work. As most of us know, brick & mortar stores generally track toys by price points and assortments, not by individual figures, so I'm a little doubtful that I could walk into a TRU with $5 and have an ROTF Lockdown guaranteed for me.

6. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, he mentioned it when talking about the reissues, so maybe they'll start doing it but only for special toys...and then see what to do from there...

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This would greatly change the way I do toy hunting, if it was for any upcoming figure. If it was just for TRU exclusives...I haven't had much trouble finding them, so no biggie.

8. Squallte

Squallte Summoner of Shiva

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW, that does sound cool. But I wounder what limitations that has because I can't see that on EVERY toy!!! I think that may just be on there exclusives, but that would be fine! That's kinda the only reason I go to Toys R' Us anyways, they're always more expensive then Target or Wal-Mart!

9. SpicyRichter

SpicyRichter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man that would take all the fun out of it. I love seeing a sighting then hauling ass to a store after work

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Honestly?

I think this is more of a Christmas lay-away deal with the economy still in the shitter. There's absolutely no way a pre-order system for Toys'R'Us would work because they track toys by UPC. They would have to change their entire stocking system, ordering system, and so much else ... especially since Hasbro likes to do "case refreshes", and pack older figures in newer cases.

My call is lay-away, and this guy didn't know WTF he was talking about.

EDIT: I must state that I'm aware of their system as of summer 2007. If it's changed in 2 years, cool, but that's a pretty big system-overhaul to prepare for it.

11. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's to stop scalpers from just getting a team of people and mass preordering the toys?

12. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

TRU Starting to Preorder Collector's Figures

Runamuck knows what he's talking about, and even provided images!

For stuff like ROTF, this probably won't work, but I can easily see reissues or other TRU exclusives covered under this.

13. Lumpy

News Credits:
    oh cool...i guess that's more confirmation then i had...and like i said, ive got no idea how it'll work...i haven't worked at TRU in more then 6 years, so i've no idea about their systems anymore...but still, even if its just for things like the reissues, that's still cool...those should probably all have individual SKU's right? or maybe they'll collect all the little sheets that every brings to the register and literally have some kid pull each figure that's reserved from a box...so if something will be shortpacked, maybe Electrostatic Soundwave as and example, they'll order a bunch of cases, but once all those are purchased, they'll be put aside in the back and no one will have a chance of finding them on the shelves at TRU...and if that's the case, i actually may shop there less...especially if i'm looking for something more rare...since i'm very particular about the toys i buy and like to inspect them to make sure there's no glaring paint flaws...

14. Armada_MK

Armada_MK Emissary of Primus

News Credits:
    Hm, it could be a good thing , I hope it works, Maybe more chances to get figures we missed

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So I can preorder a toy AND pay more than anywhere else? Awesome.:rolleyes2 

I may use it for their exclusives, but that's about it.

16. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    That's probably what it's for.

17. Lumpy

News Credits:
    you know what's weird, for the longest time my TRU had deluxes for a buck cheaper then anywhere else, and had a decent selection...

and yeah, i really think this will be for exclusives...i mean, TRU doesn't even do preorders for every game, so i'd just think it'll be special items...i may try to run back to TRU tomorrow and see if i can get more info for everyone...

18. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know when KB toys was still in business and I waiting for some of the exclusives to come in, I would just give them my name and number, and they always called me when the toys arrived. Granted, I am sure Toys R Us does more volume then KB toys every did. But I have noticed that everywhere you go, that more and more business are rolling out ways to cater to the customer.