TRU releases top 15 X-mas toys - ROTF Devastator on the list

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by DeathStorm, Sep 24, 2009.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
  2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Ah, another of those "Top 15 toys the manufacturers want you to buy" lists.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that's more what this boils down to.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Translation- "We have a shit-ton of this product and it isn't selling, so we're just gonna act like it's the one of the hottest things you could possibly get your kids for Christmas."

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, sure... ROTF Devastator's on my must-have list, but he's not on my Christmas list because I know nobody will buy him for me.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    5-7 age for ROTF Devastator there is no way id spend $100 on a single toy for a kid of that age id rather get them several less expensive ones

7. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I thought Devs was selling fairly well? From what I understand people snatch him up fairly quickly. I mean to collectors he may not be much, but to a kid that thing would be awesome.

8. smkspy

And where did you hear this from? My understanding is that he just sits there with a $100 price tag and no buys him, but that is just my area (and we can only judge by our areas).

Though I agree, to a kid he'd be great. It's that hundred dollar price tag that is a killer. Even at Christmas, those high-end items have a hard time moving.

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Yeah, Ultimate Bee was on that list once before too and he's no where near a Hot toy. Devastator is gathering dust on shelves around here. I don't think anyone is buying it. It's horrid.

10. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I think the whole strategy of the "big ticket" item each year is that it is released in mid/late-summer so kids can see it sitting on the shelves for a few months and start desperately wanting it right in time for the parents to buy in the holiday shopping season.

I wouldn't expect Devastator to actually be selling a lot right now, but sales should pick up for Christmas. I don't know if it really will be the hot item, but I think many collectors are underestimating it's kid-appeal and potential for selling well during the holidays.

11. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    It worked for Ultimate Bumblebee.

12. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Devastator is a top toy for the Christmas holidays? He sure as hell ain't movin' at my store. Guess it's different at other stores.

13. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    I for one loved Devastator. He's my favourite TF toy thus far.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, its totally a hard sell...i want one, but i sure as hell don't have 100 bucks to spend on it...even if it was 50 it'd be hard to shell out for it...maybe i'll get lucky and get some cash for christmas and not spend that 100 on something i want more...like botcon exclusives...

15. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Unless people are going so far as to "mark" the boxes they see on shelves to know for sure they aren't selling, then nothing has been proven one way or the other. Since Devs takes up so much space they may restock him quick whenever one sells instead of leaving a huge gaping hole on the shelf.

Seeing two Devastators on the shelf a week after two were seen on the shelf, doesn't mean it's the same two and he isn't selling.

16. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I can honestly say that we've sold a few at my Wal-Mart... don't know whom bought them, but I can't imagine it's parents buying it for kids (unless they're really well off, buying early for Christmas, buying for a B-Day or the kid is really really good at saving their allowance). I suspect that more collectors are interested in this item than they are letting on. Right now, this kind of reminds me of Ultimate Bumblebee... people hated the thing and talked smack about it from day one, but for some it became a guilty pleasure... I think you'll see that with Devastator (I for one am actually considering importing the Takara-Tomy version simply because I think the added paint applications make it look that much better... psychotic right?). I still think it's a rather expensive item for what you get though.

17. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Well, as a stocker, I kinda know that he isn't. :) 

18. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, it differs by area though. I work overnight at Wally World and I pull items from the back room to be refreshed on the shelves (we only pull what's sold during the day) and I've pulled at least four cases in the last two weeks. So... some have sold at my store. Again, we can really only make conjecture based on what we see in our areas and that is inconclusive conjecture at best.

19. smkspy

Yep, like I said, our perception pretty much depends on our areas. Though I'm not really understanding the need by some to defend this toy. Seems some are offended that I called it a shelf-warmer.

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Note that with top they don't mean MOST ARTICULATED AND LOVED BY TFW2005, they mean the BIGGEST AND MOST EXPENSIVE THING AROUND.