TRU Reissue Perceptor & Insecticons vs. Takara Reissues?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Thundarr74, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Thundarr74

Thundarr74 Autobot Scientist

My cousin told me these are finally on clearance at TRU. So I'm thinking about purchasing them, unless the Takaras are better. My question is: which is better - the Hasbro TRU Reissues or the Takara Book-Style Collector's Series Reissues? I already know that some Insecticons were re-named in the Hasbro and that the Takara Insecticons came with Energon Cubes. I've tried to find a definitive answer on various Transformer boards, even YouTube reviews, but nobody specifically compared the TRU to the Takara Reissues. For each set (Perceptor and Insecticons), I would like to have the following questions answered:

1) Which version (Hasbro or Takara) is constructed better (i.e. will hold up to multiple transformations)?
    2) Are the materials the same in both versions (plastic, diecast, etc)?
    3) Which version is closer to the original G1 toy (in appearance and molds used)?
    4) Are the stickers worse on the TRU versions (in appearance and stickiness)?

Thank you in advance for your kind advice to all who answer below.

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Go for TRY reissues.

3. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, i just saw some of these at toysrus. they look pretty cool.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    perceptor's missile launcher is neutered on the tru one

5. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Yeah the figures are the same between the two except the launcher on Perceptor (it doesn't launch at all or hold the missile well) and the lack of Energon cubes on the USA Insecticons. Both use the same materials and colors. The USA versions have all their stickers applied while Takara's only have some applied and the rest on the sticker sheet.

If you can get the Takara Perceptor at the same price as the USA one go for that version, but if not (I'm betting this is the case) the extra money isn't worth it for the functional launcher.

Randy

6. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you are waiting for the TRU reissues to go on clearance, you may as well buy them because the Takara reissues cost a lot more and my be beyond your budget. Takara is probably better.

7. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Opened the TRU insecticons and the decals are NOT applied! There's a decal sheet...

8. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I have the Hasbro version from TRU and I would perfer the Hasbro version myself cause they stay pretty true and well at that they where orginally made by hasbro in the 80's.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have both of the Takara reissues for Perceptor and the Insecticons, and I bought my sister the TRU Perceptor because she's a nurse and wanted it for being a microscope. The Takara and TRU versions look pretty identical and both feel sturdy, with the exception of the missile launcher thing (taking the spring out is fine, but rigging it so the gun can barely hold the missile is a bit lame). As for the Insecticons, I only have the Takara versions and love them, but the stickers on mine were not very sticky (Bombshell's and Shrapnel's have had trouble sticking in some spots); however, I bought them in early '08 so that was a little while after they came out, so I don't know if it's a flukey thing or what (though some of my older Takara Collection reissues, like Megs, Smokescreen, Prowl, Inferno and Hound have not had the same sticker issues). The energon cubes were a nice touch and I always find the little trading cards Takara's stuff comes with a plus, but at this point I'd recommend the TRU reissues, unless the price for the Takara reissues has dramatically dropped within the past couple months.

10. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is almost never a difference in build quality/materials between a Takara and Hasbro release. They almost always come from the same molds/materials/place. Thats like asking the difference between a Chevy and GMC truck. There might be a few small differences but for the most its the same damn thing.

11. Thundarr74

Thundarr74 Autobot Scientist

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I was just checking if anything was "shortened" like they did with Optimus Prime's smokestacks. I wouldn't want Perceptor or the Insecticons to feel "inadequate". :wink: 

I forgot to mention, I already own the Takara Insecticons, so I guess based on the above responses it is not necessary to get the Toys R Us version of those.

12. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

just get one set of ehobby insecticons...then army build the crap out of the TRU insecticons sets to have as the clones the ehobby ones lead into battle....i know this is the ass backwards way of what ehobby intended since they call their set the clones of the insecticons...but to army build ehobby sets is to invite bankruptcy on your TF funds....

13. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet:

The TRU reissue uses the original Diaclone mole for Kickback's wings with pointy tips, and not the 80's Hasbro mold with the rounded wing tips.

14. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but I'd rather ask here than create a whole new one.

I know TRU Insecticons have no diecast parts. How about Takara's TFC set?

15. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    The stickers on the TRU reissues are garbage on the insecticons because they don't stay on, but if you do care about the stickers order some off of reprolabels.

16. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i heard if you pre-fold them they will stick.

17. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, that's generally a good practice for stickers that have to bend over (specially 90 degrees or more), as they won't be pulling away from the surface as much. If only I was this smart when I was 10... qq

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go for the TRU ones. Your wallet will thank you. All you miss out on is the energon cubes tehy come with, and if you want those, there's plenty of acceptable substitutes on Ebay for $5