TRU Reissue G1 Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by megatroptimus, Dec 28, 2006.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Got it this morning. Box is pretty small (17 cm x 22 cm). Packaging itself is beautiful, my favorite since GF Primus.

Included are Soundwave, its original accessories, 2 tapes (Ravage and Laserbeak) with their respective guns, a sticker sheet and 2 little tape cases (really cool).

I love the little details in Soundwave's alternate mode, like the opening tape deck, the volume control, battery compartment, on/off switch... Transformation is pretty smooth and the robot is an impressive piece for a mold that old! The tapes are fun to transform too, I will get more for sure. Oh, and there's die-cast in both Soundwave (feet) and the tapes.

All in all, I love it! Nothing will ever surpass the G1 stuff in my book. I'm all for modern TFs, but nothing has the appeal of what started it all.

2. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

:useless 

3. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have yet to put the stickers on.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Any thoughts on the bigger chest? Pro or con?

5. MoreThanMeetsTheEye

MoreThanMeetsTheEye Well-Known Member

I can't wait to get my hands on one!! Is this going to come out in Jan. or Feb.??

6. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    I don't mind it, I actually think it looks cool and it's pretty fun to be able to store 2 tapes at the same time. I plan on getting a tape combiner so it'll make even more sense. And somehow, it reminds me when Soundwave is producing those empty energon cubes.

7. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

ohhh..............
    *Drooooooooooolllllllllllllllllsssssssssss*

Pure sweetness!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pics dude!

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That is one of the awesome things with the Soundblaster mold. Having Beast Box and Squawktalk in there, popping them out and transforming them directly into Squawkbox is really cool.

9. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

did u get it from bigbadtoystore?

10. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    No, from my favorite (Brave) seller : Liqdeal.

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wait a minute, did you say there was a sticker sheet in there? I just got mine yesterday and didn't see one.

12. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

[​IMG]

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hmm, that's the Soundblaster sheet isn't it? Or was the original G1 Soundwave the 17th release in Japan?

14. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

Looks nice...better than the Takara reissue because the clear chest sort of gives the illusion it is making an energon cube!

C'mon Toys r US..

15. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I got mine from Digital-Toys last week and he is just Great.
    [​IMG]

16. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Reissue TRU Soundwave

Review in a nutshell: This thing costs twice as much as big Tit Soundwave and is roughly 6 times better in every concievable way. Take that cost-to-ass-kicking ratio as you will, but to me it sounds very favorable to Reissuewave.

Review:

First off, let me say there is a huge HUGE rush of nostalgia with this toy, even with the Soundblaster mold being used. This nostalgia is powerful and positive, and it is impossible to write this review without being swayed by that nostalgia.

That being said, if this toy was being released for the first time ever exactly as-is instead of being released as a 20+ year-old reissue, it would still be fantastic.

The main point being, it looks spectacular and majestic in 'bot mode (well, as spectacular and majestic as a toy can look anyway ;)  ) and convincing and satisfying in deck mode. Articulation is an issue no doubt, but the arms move well, and along with the turning head and swivling upper thighs, a lifelike "at-ease" pose is simple to pull off. As long as I can display the 'bot in at least one fairly organic pose (not stiff like a board, in other words), I'm happy.

We all know Soundwave, so I won't go over every inch of the sculpt in excrutiating detail. But we don't all know Soundwave in perfect mint condition! I've had my '85 rubsign Soundwave by my side every day since my childhood. I was still taken back by the appearance of a brand-new Soundwave with shiny, flawless chrome, metal feet free of tarnish, stickers free of wear, and gold chrome trim free of chips. Like I said, majestic... A stand-out representative of a toy-design era long since past.

The double door: I love it in robot mode with two tapes inserted. It really gives Soundwave more of a rounded powerful humanoid chest. I also love that changing the front tape totally changes the deco of Soundwave himself. Personally, I think he looks best with Ravage up front, tape decal side facing out. Rumble comes in a close second (Rumble is the blue one for all you mixed-up chowda' heads :p  ). In deck mode, the double door doesn't fare so well. Since my brain cannot get past a tape totally outside of the body of a tape player, I simply cannot display him with a second tape in the "front" of the door. I put one tape in loose and tilt it to fall towards the back. That looks acceptable to me.

On a small note: Ravage is the best G1 mini bot EVER and Laserbeak's not to shabby either. Thank God this didn't come with Buzzsaw instead of Laserbeak, because who gives a damn about Buzzsaw? I found it interesting that this reissue Laserbeak does not form a rectangular tape shape as well as the KO Laserbeak I recently bought. It fits in Soundwave, but not as well. Hmmm...

So... Buy this! Without question. I'm getting a second the next time I'm out to keep MISB, and I never do that. The toy is that good.

17. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Just got mine. My first impressions are on the differences between the reissue soundwave/tapes vs the original ones. The colors weight and the plastic all seem different. Anyone else notice a difference in the elbow joints? Not complaints mind you, just points of interest. Its nice to have a new Soundwave, Ravage, and Laserbeak again!

18. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

After a day of having it, I think I actually prefer the new mold to the old. I remember looking at the old one, and thinking that his chest looked too flat. The Soundblaster chest looks nice, and is more useful. I also appreciate that the rubsign is on his shoulder, instead of on his chest. Darn rubsigns should never compromose the toy's aesthetic! WE ALREADY KNOW WHO THEY ARE AND WHO'S SIDE THEY ARE ON!

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This edition owns the original G1 version. The dual deck is so awesome and fun to play with. I wish it had been like this since the beginning. This reissue is definitely a darker shade of blue than the original, almost making him feel like a new character. Ravage, who I've never owned until today, is fabulous. It's so neat to have a G1 Soundwave toy where the deck actually works and all the joints are tight and *clicky*. Soundwave's right leg is SUPER tight trying to flip it down at the thigh. Laserbeak strangely doesn't fit together as snugly in tape-mode as either of my two original Lasebeaks I own. Also Laserbeak's weapon atachments fit quite loosely in bot mode and can fall out during aerial manuevers around my apartment. Another nit-pick is that the volume control on this reissue spins freely like a wheel, instead of the realistic slow dial on my original. But aside from these minor complaints, I love this reissue and I feel like it's Xmas of 84' again.:thumb 

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    real reason for the rubsigns originally was so you knew it was an official transformer product and not something made by "the other guys".