TRU Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FatalT 71, Feb 2, 2012.

1. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Has anyone noticed if TRU, in general, charges more for the "hot toys" than other stores do?

I ask because while I was picking up some stuff at Wal-Mart today, I of course had to hit the toy section to check the TF section (nothing but movie toys warming the pegs...but I noticed the store had finally gotten to the Air Raid wave! Maybe they're getting to the end of their movie stock! But I digress...) and the Monster High doll section for my daughter - she has an obsession with these things, and they've added a new dimension to father/daughter hunting trips. As usual, the shelves were bare of dolls of any sort, but I noticed that they DID have one of the vampire convertible cars on the shelf. Then I noticed the price - $22.97 (I think) - about $12 less than what I paid for one at TRU a week earlier to hold in reserve for her in case she came home with all A's on her report card or did something else reward worthy (She really wants that car). Then I noticed tags for the new line of dolls my daughter talks about, the 1600 line, and they were all $10 less than what I saw them for at TRU... ($22 vs $32)

I'm not sure if this is Wal-Mart aggresively trying to undercut TRU, or if TRU is taking advantage of the supply/demand situation for these toys. I'd take back the one I bought already to TRU, but the way these things disappear off shelves, I'll just hold onto it and enjoy her reaction when she gets it.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    TRU charges slightly more in general, because they're a "niche" store and probably don't deal in quite the volumes that walmart does, and also because they maintain a larger selection, which costs more. Basically at TRU you're paying slightly extra for a "better" chance or finding what you want and/or for wider selection.

Walmart does seem to try to nickel and dime everyone by having slightly lower prices though.

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I usually expect TRU to be a little more expensive (for the reasons you gave), but I've never seen the difference in price that big before.

4. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Maybe Walmart was trying to liquidate them to bring in new merch, and TRU thought they had the room and the time to wait and sell them at full price. What were other stores charging?

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Toys R Us charges more because they know you walked in there looking for toys from the start.

You went to Walmart for new wiper blades, passed by the toy section, and saw a nice deal for a Deluxe Optimus Prime that they have plenty of.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    There are more Wal-Mart stores. Economy of scale.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I don't think Wal-Mart is trying to clearance them since this is the new line of dolls, and they hardly EVER have them in stock - before Christmas there were one or two shelfwarmers as I recall, but since then I've seen mostly bare shelves with a few rare exceptions. Apparently Monster High has been a hot commodity for a while now.

I've seen them at Target also (sporadically), and the prices, IIRC, were in line with Wal-Mart.

True.

Plenty is an understatement :lol 

8. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

If I have a "better" chance at finding anything at TRU then I'm in trouble,because my local TRU sucks.It's actually a really nice store,but they rarely stock anything,and it's always a disaster.

9. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They charge more for pretty much everything, I think. It's really bad with Lego. Most sets have approximately a 10% markup at TRU, especially exclusives.

10. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Being surrounded by toys does horrible things to the psyche of everyone. It turns us all into psychotic wallet murderers.

11. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    Maybe in the case of TFs, but for LEGOs it's well warrented

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Does your TRU have at least more different types of things than a walmart (assuming we're not comparing a tiny TRU to one of those giant superwalmarts)?

13. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only thing they sell is toys and games, chances are they're going to sell things top dollar unless they wanna go bankrupt.

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, I think all of em have their good & bad. I mean, I've bought shit from Wal-Mart, TRU, London Drugs, Zellers, Superstorestore, XS Cargo, Canadian Tire, as well as from board members & online stores, so as a consumer I just do what I can to make the best of the many choices I have.

However in terms of TRU being more expensive, their regular prices are actually equal or lower to what other places have, the main exception being the large human alliance figures. Other than that, they usually have stuff that other places don't, a lot more variaty, people who aren't assholes to me when I ask to borrow somebody with a ladder, and they also tend to have really good sales that in 2011 anyway, came pretty often.

Granted, I'm talking about the Canadian TRU, but it still counts. I've also gotten to like London Drugs a lot, and ever since the DOTM line came out, they one in my area's been really good for having shit.

15. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gettin' outta collectin'

I realise that this is about the US, but I find that - here in my neck of the UK - the Entertainer charge more that TRU. Both TFs and ThunderCats are more expensive than TRU.

I recently discovered that the SW Scout TFs were £3 cheaper in TRU than the Entertainer, and I'm a bit miffed about it. :(