TRU Animated Cybertron Mode Ratchet

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by kylash327, Jan 28, 2010.

1. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    Picked up Cybertron Ratchet today, Arcee's were all sold out. I like him alot more than the original, and having a new animated toy is always awesome.

I couldnt get the Lockdown EMP to stay in his arm though, the little pegs on each side rubbed smooth real quick and wont hold it =\, thought it works fine on the original ratchet. The alt mode looks suprisingly larger than the original Ratchet alt mode, but to be fair, the underside is quite hollow, it just looks bulky. It sort of rolls, but since each leg can be positioned, its somewhat hard to get them all even. It is pretty solid overall though, everything pegs into place.

The transformation is really fun, lots of moving and sliding parts on tracks, and everything has a place to go. The paddles can also be stored on the back in Robot mode, like in alt mode.

Overall though, a big improvement and I cant wait for the Ironhide version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    I am so buying this and repainting him into Kup. He's perfect for the old codger. Nice review! :D 

3. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm gonna buy both :lol 

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I adore his turtle-tank mode.

5. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    EXACTLY!!! :lol 

if someone makes a real version of that I would buy it and turn it into a one person RV

6. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    the transformation for the feet is really cool when you do it. Basically you start flipping out one of the treads and as you do it, the heel come out from inside it and then stops where it should as you pull the foot out the rest of the way, its pretty tricky how they did it.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Got him today and am very pleased - Ratchet's my favorite Animated character and I'm quite happy to have two of him now. The thing that impresses me the most is how, when you compare the headsculpts, you really see just how much older and sadder the Earth Mode Ratchet is. I'm so glad we finally got this guy.

I kind of want to get a second copy of both Ratchets and put the Earth Mode head on the Cybertron Mode body; recreate his appearance from the debut movie.

8. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My 2cents

To me, he looks and feels big. He's not really physically that much larger than most deluxes but he's very bulky and solid. He really gives off a great feel of strength and has this sort of youthful confidence where as you look at the Earth mode Ratchet figure and see age and experience. The Animated line does such a good job at capturing the spirit of their characters. His bot mode is probably my second or third favorite after the deluxe Optimus figures.

Transformation is in the sweet spot: not too easy but not too hard. It's got a couple of neat steps and I was pleasantly surprised during the first transformation to find that his robot mode shoulder pads actually do intigrate into the alt mode. For some reason I just figured they were faux and would end up being hidden away somewhere.

His vehicle mode looks pretty nice at a glance but as others have noted, he's pretty hollow. I wish the back end closed up more. You really need to have the weapons attached or else you'll be staring at Ratchets forearms and hands plain as day. My only real issue with the mold is that the rear treads don't peg onto the vehicle body very solidly. Actually just the left one tends to fall off the peg while the other stays put pretty well. It's a tad annoying but I know its probably just my particular figure and not an issue with the mold.

Overall a great figure and a worthy addition to the Animated line. I'm eager to see if Ironhide gets new weapons in addition to a new head.

9. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    now i hope Reprolabels makes a decal for the black stripes that are supposed to be on his upper chest...

10. mitchsantona

mitchsantona Seeker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agree with everything I've heard so far. A great fig. Just wished the back legs were a tiny bit tighter when plugged into vehicle mode, but there is too much good that outweighs any bads IMO. I did have some trouble getting those paddles (which are probably the lamest part of this guy) into the tabs in vehicle mode, but there's a bit of a trick to it and they're on now. Comparing his faces between the young and old is very impressive. The old Ratchet's browline is down cast andhis cheeks are sunken in along with some weathering and scowling. Both are must haves for anyone that remotely likes Animated.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A little bit of awkward jointing in the arms and legs, but a very strong toy overall. I enjoy the "turtle camper" mode a lot too. As much as I like this toy, I suspect I'll like it even more whenever the Ironhide remold shows up. The big barrel-chest and huge meat-fists seem particularly well-suited to that character.

12. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    some more robot mode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *shakes fist at his slow TRU*

14. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Got him today. I'm a fan of Cybertronian modes and IMHO, this is an utterly fantastic figure. Great transformation, great robot mode, great articulation, he's a fantastic TF and my new default Ratchet in my collection. (I don't like Earthmode Deluxe at all.)

15. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here bro, same here.
    I just hope I can get both Arcee and Ratchet on the same day.

16. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

*Does likewise.*

17. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This looks like a nice figure, but I'm not a real Animated guy. Do want Arcee though, and Rodimus, when they get here.

18. Matt Booker

Matt Booker Fantasy Adventure Author

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My nearest TRU is a couple of hours away and when I got there I saw they had restocked animated figures!

The pegs were overflowing!

With stuff I already had.

And then the store manager walked by and asked if we needed anything. As it just so happened, I did. And as it just so happened, they had a whole box of Arcee and Ratchet in the back. :D 

Internet buyers beware, the paint apps were frequently bad and the plastic chipping\sprue bits were rampant. I got the best one of the lot, but there were varying degrees of good and bad in the others- moreso than usual. Arcee seemed to fair the worst, though. I got the only one with a non chipped windshield tip.

(It should be noted, that I tend to be very picky about this stuff. Still, I managed to get a Ratchet without any flaws, so the qc isn't all that bad. It just seemed to be worse than usual.)

Ratchet is very cool, even though his elbows are a bit tiny (still posable, but they're tiny) and his crotch hangs down in vehicle mode.

Still, after getting used to ROTF deluxes Ratchet feels huge in hand. He towers over Arcee, and just feels hefty compared to the likes of Sideswipe and Skidsflap.

It would've been nice if they'd continued the front tread paint apps and maybe given him a bit more facial paint but over all he's exactly as he should be.

Recommended!

~Matt Booker

19. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice pics and review.

20. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    I better get him at the only TRU near me and the Blasted impossible to find ARCEE (punk ass Scalpers)