Troop Building

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Have you ever done it before? ya know, buying the same ty over and over to make an army (thats called troop building, right?) i've always considered doing it, but then always end up deciding against it because i like to give them all seperate personalities, and usually only have one of each anyways due to cost. But with TF: Prime coming out, i've been tempted to do this with the... Eradicons, i think they're called.

So since I'm seriously considering it this time, i have a few questions: Is it worth doing? Does it look cool? Is it annoying to have 10 of the same guy around? What is usually the best number of soldiers for a troop-built army? Also, if anyone has some cool shots of their own troop build results, please, post them here! would love to see how a full fledged battalion looks.

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
  3. Computron34

Computron34 Butt + Hurt = TF Fans

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have, but not with Transformers. GI Joe and Star Wars.

4. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

predaking makes a good troop building figure.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It's hard to troop build TFs outside of Terrorcons/Omnicons from Energon. I do troop build, but only Star Wars Clone Troopers.

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

The extent to which I have troop built is simply buying repaints.

Someday I hope to have an army of Topspins and Twin Twists. I don't know why, but I want one.

7. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

When I bought the Robotmasters Seekers, I used my G1/reissue Seekers as clone troopers. The RM Seekers had more character in the faces, the G1 visor look really lends itself to the faceless, generics. They seem colder, more machine like to me.

I also have a few KO's of the Classic Seekers. Even getting one of them along with the terrible bland coloured Starscream i.e. the original Classics Starscream, repainted as the generic purple Seekers from MTMTE.

8. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I troop build with ravages...gotta have a pack cats for leader shockwave when he comes out....

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you count buying the named Seekers as troop-building, then I'm guilty. I've completed my original trio set (with a customized Thundercracker, because the official offerings are too "geewun" to fit with the updated-deco Classics/Gentei releases), and my conehead trio, and that's enough for me on that angle. Don't really care about the glorified generics (Acid Storm + any others in the future). I do have a pile of spare junker Starscreams and Thrusts, and the odd Ramjet or two, though, after splicing parts to make my Thundercracker and other minor retouches, and cannibalizing the chrome cockpit pieces from Thrust to bling out my original trio a bit.

If they were to make a Classics-styled Insecticon set, though, I'd be sorely tempted to buy a few sets.

And I'll probably have to get myself at least two "Sweeps".

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    If we get Eradicons, I'll be troop building the shit out of them.

11. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

see sig pic.

Also, ROTF Skystalker/HftD Sunspot make cool drone troops.

12. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

Going to troop build with scourge and perceptor. there aren't a lot of troop building with the autobots cuz they had a lot of characters in the G1 cartoon.

Oh yeah I wanted to get a load of sharkicons if igear made the mini ones cheap enough

13. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like this?

[​IMG]

For me it isn't really fun, but its cool to have for the occasional picture.

14. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I bought 2 Energon Starscreams because they reminded me of Megatron's Dream Wave clone seeker army bots. And I have 3 Acid Storms to rep the old school generic seeker mob from the G1 cartoon. Makes for a menacing seeker mob on my Classics shelf.

Can't wait to add 3 or 5 of the Scourge mold to that.

15. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

So awesome!

16. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    As far as Transformers go I have only done the troop building thing with the Energon Scouts and the Scrapmetals from Cybertron but only really got two of each with some exceptions and not counting repaints. Things like my ROTF and HFTD Leader Primes and Battle Blades Optimus Prime on display right now I don't consider as troop building as I have them separated and I buy just about every mold, remold, and repaint.

My main experience in troop building is G.I. Joe (I have some pics in the old 25th Anniversary thread in the Toyark section of TFW). For the most part I consider four the minimum but have one or two on a select few for various reasons. As far as a max it depends on factors like availability, price, space, size, and when I think I have enough of a particular trooper. Be warned as it can get out of control quickly.

I originally only wanted about four or six Cobra Troopers. Then as I would see them I would buy more. Soon six became ten, ten became twelve, then fourteen, then sixteen. I think I stopped at twenty-four or twenty-six silver logo Cobra Troopers, not counting all the repaints. It looks awesome, well it did when I had them on display, but it gets expensive quickly. It's like Pringles, "Once you pop, you can't stop." Avoid that pit fall if possible and it can be fun and make for a nice display.

17. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I'm trying to build a troop of ROTF Legends Stealth Bees. So far I have 7, can that be considered a troop or just a squad? I'm not familiar with military terminology.

18. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Well I'm not sure either but I looked on Wikipedia, I know not the best source but still, and a squad is about 8 to 16. I'm a little confused by a troop. I would just call it a squad and call it a day. Troop building is just a term for buying troopers/soldiers from a toy line to add some peons for the big wigs to boss around anyway. I mean could you see Cobra's hierarchy (Serpentor, Cobra Commander, Destro, Storm Shadow, Baroness, etc.) with a lone Cobra Trooper? Transformers is a little different as all we have are Seekers, Sweeps, Sharkticons, and a few others but in most media they are usually surrounded by named characters and not a bunch of no name, no face cannon fodder.

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    We need to get the board member who army-built with Leader Brawl. Now that was one mean army.

20. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I bought a ton of Energon Terrorcons when that was happening. In more recent times, I wanted to troop build ROTF Skystalker, but only ever found two of the little guy. I also bought three reissue Piranacons from BBTS.

...I've also inadvertently come into possession of three different Cyclonus'. I purchased the Sharkticon-trio from this year's Botcon. I'd like to purchase three Generations Scourges and a United Scourge to boss them around. ...and if the Reflector redeco of Perceptor pans out, well, there's another three weird track-trucks for me to get.