Troop Building: Yea or Nay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Mar 20, 2011.

?

Is it a problem when other collectors troop build scarce figures?

1. Yes.

33 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. No.

41 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. I don't care.

44 vote(s)
    37.3%
  1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    With the last couple of waves of RTS and Generations extremely scare in most areas it has become extremely frustrating for alot of collectors.

Especially because time seems to be running out on these lines. While it remains to be seen, it is highly likely that most retailers will lose focus on the RTS and Generations lines in favor of the fresh DOTM toys that are coming out in a few months.

This is sure to compound the problem because RTS and Generations may disappear completely as a result.

While we are a great group of collectors who are willing to help each other out, there has been alot of talk lately about troop building when other collectors are starving for a certain figure/wave.

I am on the fence about this issue. While I am happy for those who have been able to find multiples of figures such as RTS Wreck Gar and Generations Scourge, I also agree with the other side of the discussion at well.

It is frustrating at times to see collectors on their 5th, 10th, and 20th Wreck Gar and Scourge when there is so many fans out there who haven't seen hide nor hair of either of these figures AT ALL.

This is especially true when collectors here post links when they find an online store that has these scarce figures to help out their fellow collector and they sell out so fast because you have collectors post in the thread that they bought their upteenth copy of the figure.(exaggeration)

So where do you stand on this issue?

2. Sideways77

Sideways77 its movie time here come the manbabies

News Credits:
    Well, I think Scourages and Insecticons would be the only figures people would buy for army-building.

Then again, Sunspot would be a good army-builder...

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say nay. Why? Because the last thing we need is a troop builder that costs 12 bucks per figure.

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it can be a bit of a problem. Some places don't even get the figures on the shelves until the figures have been sold out for weeks online. If someone buys up all of one character they can find that means someone is going to miss out.

If it's something common it's not a big deal so you could build a huge Skids and Mudflap army without hurting the kids or collectors looking for that figure.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Myself personally, I usually only get one for my collection, but if I were army building, I'd never take the last, I'd always leave one or two behind, unless I'd never got that variant. Though my idea of "army building" is to get two of a character so they can flank a unique toy who acts as their leader!

6. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    I don't care. My local stores haven't even gotten those waves yet anyway. Granted, I may never see them, but there's online stores. I'd resort to eBay if need be.

On the topic on troop building though... You know who would make for a GREAT troop builder? Tuner Mudflap. Anyone with me?

7. omega145

omega145 Autobot

Ebay:
    I can see how this came from the thread about wreckgar being available on tru online. I'm still looking for wreckgar and haven't been able to order him online because he sells out so fast and im sure there are a lot of troop builders who purchased him while I don't even have one for my collection. Realistically I don't see anything wrong with it because either way if a troopbuilder buys it, at least its out of a resellers hands who is only ordering to make a few bucks off of them. If you have the money then order as many as you like, that just means you beat me to the punch. My 2 cents for all its worth.

8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    It's a big problem.

I had a really hard time finding a Wreck-Gar for my dad because everyone and their dog bought two or three each. Now I'm having the exact same problem with Scourge.

People, PLEASE wait until a particular figure hits saturation before troop-building. Give everyone a chance to have at least one.

9. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i got 2 of my Scourges from stores and the other in a BBTS thing with Kup, Wheeljack, and Thundercracker, so i dunno if i'm part of the problem-but I know that I'm hoping to find two more, but don't plan to go overboard after that. this is my first time troop building, so... ya.

10. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's kind of selfish of everyone to get upset over this.:2c: 

11. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say yes to it. They should Over Produce figures they should know people will want many of but theirs probably some reason they don't.

12. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    If a collector wants 2-3-10 or even 20 of a figure, it's his own business.

I for one did most of my troop building with online pre-orders. And those were up for weeks. If you really really want a figure, just pre-order it. most pre-orders are up long enough for you to get in on the action. As mentioned countless times, you'll save yourself the frustration and probably a few bucks in the end as well, with the price of gas as it is.

13. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I dont have any problems with it. I can see where it could be frustrating in a place where distribution sucks though.

14. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I don't have a problem with it aside that it is frustrating, especially given as uneven distribution can be sometimes.

15. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Since I buy mostly online now, it's not so much of a problem for me personally. But overall, I never really saw the point of having 10 of the same figure to build an army. Waste of money and supplies for other folks.

Now, if they were all a little different. Then I'm a little less against it. (Although it's still a fine line.)

16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Having one figure and then buying another or two more is alright with me. Its when a person starts buying over five when it becomes annoying to me. If somebody did this stuff 10 years ago, I'd would never find a Vehicon figure in the stores. There really needs to be some type of common courtesy rule with troop building in the fan base. I only saw ROTF Skystalker only once after I got it. I have yet to see the PCC Dinobot team. Perhaps its the area that I am in sucks at getting some stuff, but it hurts when its hard to get them online as well.

17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I joke around about the matter but truthfully, IDC. Let's not be haters about it.

18. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem with it either. It's that person's money and they are doing it for their own collection. Sometimes people do get carried away, yes. However, that should not stop them from wanting to troop build.

I will say the case assortments are an issue as well. But you can't blame that on retailers or their customers, that's down to Hasbro.

19. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I have no problem with it, I have bought my fair share for both myself and local collectors, and pasted on numerous ones. If people want more than one, can find more than one, can afford more than one, more power to them. If they beat me to the store (doesn't usually happen), good for them, they wanted it more. As G1 Junkie stated, they were on preorder for quite some time, and I am finally learning that even if it costs a couple bucks more (which on a lot of them it is actually about the same price when you use a POL), BBTS or TFSource will save you a lot of frustration, gas, and time. If you are stalking the stores, you gotta and you know it is gonna be rare, you gotta learn the stock days and be willing to go either at opening, or when Wally World is putting out stock. It sucks, but that is the reality of the hobby, and not just for troop-building figures. Hell, I can tell you the stock days of the 5 major stores around me. Also, network on the site, 99% of the people on here cause they love to talk shop and help each other. Sure we want to get our fill, but if you have a strong local contingent, it really makes things easier and more fun.

It also isn't just scalpers or troop builders. I was at Target about 3 weeks ago and saw a dad and his kid with Wreck-gar in hand with the kid making a comment to the affect of "this is the last figure we need". Kids know what is out there as well, and I am glad that I didn't get there 5 minutes earlier or he would have still been hunting.

20. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only preorder anymore...... with the exception of most movie stuff as it is easier to find. Usually I will preorder with later waves of movie stuff. The only troop building I did was two RTS Wreck-Gars and three Generations Scourges, all ordered online and ordered months in advance. I am also owning United Wreck-Gar and the future Scourge as the main figures.

- Gregg