Non-TF: Tron: Legacy 7" Sam Flynn (no helmet) WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by LemonPrime, May 18, 2012.

1. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I don't follow wrestling at all, but I saw a toy for "The Miz" a few months ago and thought he'd make an excellent head donor for the custom helmetless Sam Flynn I wanted to make. I kept putting it off since that particular WWE toy is like $18-20 dollars, but today I actually found a cheaper version of The Miz without the light-up arm gimmick and got right to work. I was worried The Miz's head would be too small, but I think it turned out okay.

[​IMG]

I cut off Sam's head and the part of the neck molded to the front of the helmet as well as the back of the head. I then removed The Miz's head and cut off his neck. Would have been a hundred times easier and quicker if I had a Dremel tool instead of the box-cutter and hobby knife combo. I unscrewed Sam's body and removed the light-up face unit. By simply cutting the 3 or 4 wires attached to the face unit, and leaving the speaker, circuit board, and battery pack alone, the figure retains the chest lights as well as the speech feature!

Sam's articulation has been improved slightly by carving off small bits of the rubbery plastic behind his knees, inside his leg joints, and just above the ankles where the feet meet the lower legs. The Miz also donated his left hand to Sam. They use the same type of joint to plug into the wrist, but The Miz has a cool swivel joint within the hand and actually grips the identity disk a lot better than Sam does. Unfortunately, I neglected to heat up the joint before pulling it apart and ended up ripping off the top of the peg, so I'll need to do the ol' screw head fix or something.

Next:
    -I need to secure The Miz's neck to the inside of Sam's body. I'm thinking of using a 2-part epoxy or maybe fashioning something out of Apoxie-Sculpt.

-His hair also needs some blonde or light brown highlights but I'm not going to bother sculpting or reshaping the hair as I think hair style is close enough for this character.

-I hope to salvage what is left of Sam's helmet in order to give him a disk battle face shield that can simply slip over the new head. I have already begun work carving the bottom of the helmet off as well as the inside along the sides. As it stands, I can fit The Miz's head inside the helmet but it doesn't look quite right since in the film, Sam wears a face shield that covers about 3/4 of his face.

I'm really happy with the results so far!

Attached Files:

2. takarei

takarei auto bot wanderer

nice. and yeah get a dreamel ull love it u can get one with a basic bit set at walmart for like 30 dollars

3. luap184

luap184 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Can't wait to see the finished piece :D  The lack of an accurate head-scuplt really put me off getting this guy previously, that may all be changed soon... ;D

4. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Thank you. I'm keeping an eye out for a decent one at a good price. I'm happy I can achieve what I want with limited tools, but it's such a pain to do so.

I didn't care for the 7" Tron stuff either when it was seemingly peg-warming in stores, but I found all but one of them (Black Guard) at Ross for $4.99 a piece and saw customizing potential in them. I'll post more pictures when he's finished.

5. scottie_bee

scottie_bee Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    looks cool man! can't wait to see it finished! that was a awesome movie