trnasfomations

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Driller, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Driller

Driller Cybertronian wildlife

im not sure if i haven't looked hard enough or if I'm right, but on the cgi models of most of the characters (autobot and decepticon) i see a few parts that don't seem to fit in anywhere in or on their vehicle forms, which has led me to believe that like the movie toys, they have robot junk hidden where car parts or engines would be

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Precisely.

They're not real cars, and don't necessarily have all the parts that real cars do. In lieu of such parts, they make space to stow their limbs and so on.

3. Driller

some examples are optimus's kneecaps, bumblebee's shoulder and forearm armour, and dorm megatron's kneecaps

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's always been cheated in the Bay movies. The ILM crew confirmed as much back when the first movie was made. From what I remember the robot modes and the alt modes are designed/decided separately and then transformations have to be cheated going from one to the other, usually to make the shot look as cool as possible from the chosen angle it's shown. Car parts and robot parts were hung off the robot modes in a way to make them look cool, not to be accurate to both modes. I think it's also been pointed out that on some of the TF they have two or more of certain mechanical car parts on their robot mode when the vehicle mode would only have one. So really it should come as no great surprise that the robot modes also have armour parts that don't match up to their alt mode.
    It's not shameful. Transformations have been cheated since the very beginning of Transformers. As much as it would be cool to have CGI models that can transform exactly as they claim to in the films it's also nice that even with this multi-million dollar 'realistic' film it still does what an old 80s cartoon did to get by.

5. Driller

another thing that i noticed is in the first movie when optimus transforms in front of sam and mikaela is that his fore arm plates were blue, but when they went off screen for a moment and came back they were red. they went off screen at the exact moment optimum's head popped up.

6. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Has anyone noticed that Roadbuster has the hood of the car on his chest, yet when he transforms into a car, there really isn't that much of a hood on the car.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fixed ;) 

8. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

Yeah with DOTM megatron's shoulders he has some random pieces that look to be from the front of another truck! A lot of the transformations do make sense but some are jut nonsense :crazy: 

9. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Going from the Josh Nizzi concept art just released, I think he was another truck, without a trailer. It looks like the robot design didn't change, but the alt mode did. So that would make sense.

10. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I just think of the metal and parts doing a lot more folding than we're used to...

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Well, if you go by the figures, Optimus' big blue kneepads basically fold down onto his shins (where there's those big silver parts). And 'Bee's shoulders, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about there, but they probably end up somewhere inside his car mode. And DotM Megatron's kneecaps... again, not sure what you mean. He doesn't really have any kneecaps that protrude or anything.

Precisely this. Whether it's simple 2D animation like G1 where parts sort of morph into other parts and disappear (Optimus' tires) or BW's CG animation where it's just...I don't even know how to describe it other than "morphing". TFP Arcee. Or even Bayformers where parts momentarily fly off-screen and become dirty or shift down to an area where they weren't, there was always cheating and will always be cheating.

12. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I think it's more likely that the transformations are too complex for everyone to understand, rather than just random pieces strewn about.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Nah. I'm not going to go dig out the articles but it definitely isn't a case of complex transformations instead of cheating. There are apparently pieces of vehicle parts on some robot modes that the actual cars they transform into don't even contain.

14. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    i don't believe you.

15. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i believe in the 2007 Movie's home video release, one of the designers mentioned how some vehicle parts were doubled up to give a nice bit of symmetry.

16. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

Unless they can bend their metal.

17. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    Yeah sometimes the cheating is really noticeable when you look at the concept art. For example, when you look at Arcee's ROTF combined mode, you see that her pink component seems to have three wheels, while the other.two have only one wheel to be accounted for.
    Or when you look at Devastator's Rampage component, you see treads sticking out of the knee, when it is clear that the treads of the bulldozer end up as the toes.

18. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The cheating is obvious when you consider that the front spoiler on 70s Bumblebee is plastic, but when it transforms into his forearm armor it becomes metal.

19. ThunderbeePrime

ThunderbeePrime Loved Botcon 2012

Just like the time in the 2007 movie where Bumblebee (as a '76 Camaro) transforms into vehicle mode in front of Sam and Mikaela after he defeated Barricade. Those lower door wings on his back aren't really part of the Camaro. Coming from someone who knows cars, the Camaros never had four doors. But at least they corrected this when he scanned the concept Camaro.

20. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    According to the artwork from the designer - the doors split into two- with the bottom portion becoming the lower wings...
    But instead of it being 50/50 (like the toy) it was more like 80/20.