Triple Takeover- Campiest G1 ep. ever?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SoundShock, Aug 22, 2009.

1. SoundShock

SoundShock Go home, Steve.

One day, I was bored, and wanted to see what the G1 series was like. So I watched these eps in the following order.

1-Fire in the Sky
    2-Fire on the Mountain
    3-Transport to Oblivion
    4-A Plague of Insecticons
    5-The Insecticon Syndrome.
    6-Triple Takeover.

The 6th ep I watched brings us to this topic. Here's what happens:
    -Starscream leads Megatron in a sewer, and both of them get frozen,
    because Starscream and Megatron get "Starscream'd" by Astrotrain and Blitzwing.

-Astrotrain conquers a Train station while Blitzwing captures a football stadium. Astrotrain reconfigures a bunch of trains to follow his command. He then commands the trains to harvest energon by collecting energy lines.
    Blitzwing seeks tactical advice from, of all people, a football coach. He then orders the Constructicons to build a "Zone Defense" which is some kind of Incomprehensible maze or something like that. Then fires "Long Bombs" into the city...And somehow gives himself shitloads of points.

-Prowl, Tracks, Bluestreak, and Skids apparently become trapped in the "Zone Defense" causing Blitzwing to hand them their skidplates. But with the help of Powerglide, Hoist and Smokescreen save their skidplates. With Blitzwing crashing into Scrapper in the process.

-The Seekers then arrive at the train station to check on Astrotrain, who is eager to show them what his troops can do. But apparently, the trains are tangled trying to harvest energon, causing the the seekers to laugh their skidplates off. When one of the trains finally break free, he urges it to collect more energon, it apparently crashes on a water main. The resulting flood frees Screamer and Megs. Who then search for the traitorous triple-changers.

-Prime, Ironhide, and Spike spotted the 'cons. Only for them to be distracted by the water main flooding the city. Prime then rescues Spike and handing him to Powerglide to take him to safety. While Trailbreaker uses his force fields to push the water back, Ironhide and Prime get to the station to seal the main. Encountering Screamer and Megs. Megs leaves to put the triple-changers in their place, while the Seekers place their bets. Optimus, however, just sits back and waits.

-Blitzwing now has a thousand-something points and the Constructicons demand a share of the power he promised. Blitzwing then becomes an asshole and tells them to build a bridge and jump off it. This pisses the Constructicons off and they form into Devastator. Then the water reaches the stadium, depositing Astrotrain...god I'll just stop there. I liked the episode because of the realization that Astrotrain sounds like King Zarkon.

I'm sorry for summarizing the episode. It wasn't my intent. I only wanted to explain how campy it is.

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Anytime you want to start explaining that...

3. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Campy or not, Triple Takeover is awesome. One of my fave G1 eps.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I love the triple changers.

5. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    And your argument that it should be considered 'the campiest G1 ep ever' is...? You haven't seen the other 91 episodes to make a proper judgement about that.

--Moony

6. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Some pretty funny lines in it but definetly NOT on my list of favorite G1 episodes.

7. ironarm

ironarm SHALL RETURN IN NOVEMBER

same here.

8. SoundShock

SoundShock Go home, Steve.

What makes me consider it campy is the Triple-Changers' antics in the episode. But then again, the Decepticons build other crazy contraptions(That griffin-thing, anyone?) and do other campy things like get hammered on energon.

Besides, I'm a fan of shows in which contain lots of campy occurrences. The Batman show, starring Adam West, for example.

9. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I love this episode,and the one where they're throwing whatever it was around a baseball diamond,and Soundwave goes,"safe!"

10. kidnicky

Whoops! I just checked TFwiki,and that baseball episode was actually "Child's Play",the only G1 episode I dislike.

11. Optimus Sledge

Overthrowing their leaders and attempting to recruit others to their cause? I'm confused. Do you think Freddie Mercury was a military tyrant?

12. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

I believe "BOT" to be the campiest, although, I may mean crappiest.

13. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Yes indeedy.

And it is awesome because of it's campness.

Plus...

"Tell me what's on your mind, or I'll splatter you against the wall and see for myself!"

The best line in G1.

14. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO, best episode of the original series, if simply because of it's campiness. It feels as if that was what the creators were aiming for.

15. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

It was pretty campy, but in my opinion it's nowhere near the campiest episode.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 3 episodes that induce far more laughter. I might have enjoyed these episodes as a child (and I still enjoy all G1 episodes), I am an adult now and can see how silly it used to be.

"Prime Target" had this insane big-game hunter try to hunt Optimus Prime and mount Prime's head on his trophy wall. He put the Autobots into bizarre death traps, and Astrotrain and Blitzwing meander foolishly into these traps by accident. At one point, even Optimus remarks on the triple changers' stupidity and says, "Amazing. A booby trap that actually catches boobies."

"The Girl Who Loved Powerglide" and "BOT" need no explanation. I nominate "BOT" as worst AND campiest episode of G1.

16. Optimus Sledge

There must be some global difference in how the term "camp" is used. John Inman was camp, not cartoons about giant robots.

17. kidnicky

There's no global difference. It means the same thing in America,but some people misuse it. Kind of like the word "ironic."

18. Optimus Sledge

Ah, that makes a little more sense. I was beginning to worry that there was an Are You Being Served? dub of G1 that I hadn't seen.

19. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Well, isn't that ironic.

20. Optimus Sledge

Let's ask Alanis Morrisette. Or maybe not.

I've always enjoyed this episode. It's good to see that some of the other Decepticons are getting tired of Megatron's failures, and demonstrates that power really does flow to the one who knows how. Desire alone is not enough.