Triple Changers vs Combiners

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, Dec 13, 2010.

?

Triple Changers vs Combiners

1. Triple Changers, three times as cool

29 vote(s)
    33.7%
  2. Combiners. Prepare for extermination!

57 vote(s)
    66.3%
  1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

One is a robot who turns into many things. The other is many robots who join to form one. Which is more the essence of Transformers, and which do you prefer?!?

Me? I feel like the whole point of Transformers is to turn into something besides a robot. So while I love me some Devastator, my attention deficit hands seek out the Trips.

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Triple changers make more sense.

3. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I do not prefer one over the other, but if I were to pick one I think I'd choose a combiner. It's really a hard choice because on one hand I love messing around with Warbot Defender and his three modes, but Legends Devastator is a great figure too. It depends on the day.

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I chose combiners simply because I just really want to see them done properly again. Triple changers are amazing and a very cool concept (hence why Blitzy is my avatar), but Hasbro needs to show us they can still do combiners PROPERLY, as in each piece is a vehicle, limb, and robot, not just a vehicle and limb.

5. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I'm rooting for Combiners, simply because I would like to see the very first one making its debut on TFG/United line. :popcorn 

6. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm more partial to combiners myself.

7. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i enjoy how combiners will form to one huge mass and just start destroying everything in site. that's how it should be.

8. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

Triple Changers... 2 alt-modes + 1 robot mode in one figure > 1 alt-mode + 1 robot mode + 1 "part" mode in one figure =P

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Being that this is toy discussion i thought about this from the stand point of toys. Triple changers always seem to disappoint in some manner. At least one mode always seems to suffer. From what i gather this is not the case with Warbot Defender but thats on a level hasbro and takara wont do for retail toyy simply due to the complicated engineering and transformation. Just not where the money is. Animated Blitzwing is a good example of the standard triple changer. I love his tank mode. Bot mode is cool but the arms are junk and his jet mode is pretty lame. And he grabs his ass in alt modes.

I think combiners are awesome toys if they are done well, and the only time they were not done well that i can think of is the energon combiners. Some may argue PCC but i think that the PCC figures are fun as combiners. However the best example of a recent combiner is Legends devastator that little guy is awesome!

So toy wise i like combiners more.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    What they need to come up with is a well-engineered combiner whose limbs are well-engineered triple changers.

11. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Either one is cool, given certain criteria. A good triple-changer should have a good robot mode, and at least one good vehicle mode. Too often you see trips like G1 Astrotrain, where they focused on the alt modes, and the robot mode sucked. It seems, as of late, that Hasbro has forgotten (or, some may argue, never known) how to do a good triple-changer, so I bring up, as exhibit A, Warbot Defender. This is a prime example of a good triple-changer. He has a perfectly executed robot mode, where nothing is gimpy or lame. His alt modes, due to the style of the figure, are stylized, but definite. Furthermore, there is definitely some work and transforming that goes into changing him from one vehicle to another. I'd say that the best Hasbro trip to date has been the Classics Astrotrain. Gosh, some of their previous triple-changers don't even count, like Broadside.

On the other hand, combiners have a different set of functions required for them to be good. First, they must be composed of individual robots, each with their own alt mode. Second, a good combiner MUST be a good figure. It must have elbows and knees, which Hasbro so often ignores. In my mind, Power Core Combiners are, every one, weak combiners, since they do not meet those simple guidelines. The previous Energon combiners similarly were weak. It took Fans Project to give us a good combiner, I would say the best combiner so far. FP Bruticus has five separate robots, with five separate vehicle modes, each one solid and impressive. The combined mode is solid and articulate, detailed and precise. And you don't lose anything in the combination. Hasbro has NEVER given us a good 5 robot team. Their last great combiners were God Fire Convoy and JRX.

In short, I think comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges, each does different things for different reasons. If a figure meets the criteria, then it has taken a big step towards being a good figure. It's just sad that Hasbro so rarely meets that criteria, and we have to depend on third party figures to satisfy our collection goals.

12. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    triple changers, 3 times the fun for the buck.

Though I wouldn't be adversed to some combiners done up via scouts and deluxe again in classic or RTS styling.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Triple changers. They're harder to kitbash than combiners.

14. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

well if you think about combiners are made of triple changers. each part of the combiner has 3 modes. eather way Im gonna go with the combiners.

15. fa11enwing

fa11enwing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think its gonna be difficult to engineer combiners if each piece and the combined are fully articulated. They might be fragile or unstable, and I bet Has/Tak are thinking the same, along with the safety drop test.

Legends combiners like devastator is a stable one due to the less number of pieces. The simpler more solid?

16. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    there IS actually a combiner that is a triple changer.

From the brave series, there is a combiner team called "Bombers".

3 of them form a robot called Tri-bomber, and their individual bots have 2 alternate modes: a beast mode (lion, phoenix, dinosaur), and a train mode.

An additional member allows for a 4 robot combination called Battle Bomber later in the series, and this one has a train and a triceretop (spelling) as alt modes aside from Robots.

So... its been done.

Yeah, this is technology of the 90's though, so the combining robot toy (by Takara) does not have a lot of articulation (about a bit more than the typical G1 combiner maybe). But what can you ask for? It has 2 different combiner forms (3 robot and 4 robot), each of them are a triple changer

17. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

combiners..simply because u get 5 or more bots who turn into different things..PLUS THEY COMBINE..now thats beast..if u were to ask me would i rather have warbot or the crossfire set..id pick the c/fire set every time...plus one of my fondest memories of transformers growin up is when devy was introduced...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Also, isn't the combiners triple changers anyways?

From ROBOT to ALT MODE to LIMBS!

Every combiner that have a bot and an alt mode is ALREADY a triple changer.

19. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Triple Changers for me. I'd love to see a Classics/United/Reveal The Shield Blitzwing sometime soon!

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I prefer Triplechangers. I loved my Sandstorm and who doesn't love Blitzwing?