Triple changer

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mr.ToyFan, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Mr.ToyFan

Mr.ToyFan Well-Known Member

We have Astrotrain and Octane so why can't Tak/Has finally engineer a Blitzwing?!

2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm probably in a minority, but I hope if Has/Tak makes a Chugurs Blitzwing that it's an homage to the Animated incarnation ala Lugnut and Lockdown instead of a strict G1 homage.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Because good triple changers are hard to engineer.

4. Mr.ToyFan

well as far as the triple transformation goes, I think Astrotrain & Octane came out pretty damn good, soooo...why not a blitzwing?

5. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

just because it's hard to engineer doesn't mean it can't be done

6. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Well they haven't had very many successes with recent triple changers.

7. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Doesn't mean it's worth it, either.

8. Mr.ToyFan

So you guys are saying that you would not like to see an updated classics version of Blitzwing?!!! Man Ya'll carazy!!!

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Nobody is saying that. We're saying we would rather wait until the engineering can create believable triple changers.

As of now, most people just end up ignoring third modes because they look terrible.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I definitely want a Blitzwing. I really don't think Astrotrain and Octane were that bad. The robot modes were decent and while both alt modes weren't winners you can tell what they're supposed to be. They're engineered MUCH better than the complete shitstorm that Animated Blitzwing was.

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Truth. This man speaks it.

12. Mr.ToyFan

In my opinion I think the Takara Astrotrain is damn cool, all modes are believable seeing that the old-style locomotives would not seen (only in a museum) on the tracks nowadays, so with that being said I think the engineering is there. Look at the engineering involving Wreckgar that's coming out soon...that shit is sick. All I'm saying is that Blitzwing is an iconic character and we should have him.

13. Mr.ToyFan

Yes sir!!!! Who want's an animated Blitzwing anyway?

14. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Triple changers always will be tricky feats of toy engineering to perform - but saying that we dont want any till they can get it perfect is utterly stupid, if you expect perfection without practice.

The Tankor/Octane and Astrotrain triple changers, for all their limitations still vastly outshine any similar toys put out before them, and personally I hope that HasTak continue to be bold and attempt more - I'd love to see a PROPER reimagining of Springer and Sandstorm as opposed to more worthless repaints, and I'd die if they ever did the same with my all time faves Snapdragon and Apeface.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the update to astrotrain was kind of a step back imo, the original was vastly superior in train and shuttle mode compared to the new one, hopefully if they do a blitzwing, he is done better

16. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

I fail to understand people who say this. The old train mode was good, but the shuttle was a horribly blocky thing with a bizarrely square front - and the less said about the robot mode the better.

The place I reckon they dropped the ball with the newer toy, was that they just HAD to honour that bizarre Japanese obsession with bullet trains and create a train which greatly sacrificed the believability of both modes - by the broken up look of said train, and the shuttle with two clearly apparent train halves stuck to it. IF they'd have stuck with the old cyclindrical steam locomotive design, then those train halves would have been far better disguised against the shuttle as they'd have resembled engines, and the train mode wouldnt have suffered as many of those old designs looked pretty ramshackle and slung together

17. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I happen to really like Animated Blitzwing's toy. However, I don't want the next Blitzwing to be a movie character based on the animated version. I'd much prefer a Voyager Class G1 version.

18. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    This.

I'm all in favor of more triple changers, but they're difficult to do, and people tend to forget that both Astrotrain and Octane (er, Tankor) were the least popular in their respective waves. Astrotrain was perhaps THE warmest of the Classics shelfwarmers, and Octane was so unloved that he was still available on HTS until a few weeks ago. That certainly couldn't have escaped Hasbro's attention.

I can wait for better designs, or hopefully better economic times when they're ready to gamble on a triple changer in the deluxe point again, as opposed to the two-or-more repaint trend we're seeing.

19. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

I definitely love the animated blizwing toy.

I would love to see an updated blitzwing along the lines of the G1 toy.

I am curious to know how some of you guys know so much about the suposed engineering limitations Has/Tak faces when designing transformers and the cost of overcomming said limitations? Are you guys engineers? or will you just say, common sense tells you?

20. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Correct, but it evidently is the reason Hasbro avoided him for Generations.