Heavy/Scratch: Triple Changer Springer (wip)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jdkillzone, Mar 1, 2010.

1. jdkillzone

jdkillzone Member

This is my first custom. My little bro has said i was rather "ambitious" to tackle Springer on my first go. Unfortunately I couldn't get the idea out of my head, so we'll see how it goes.

Update: Still have to finish the weapons and touch up the paint, but the figure itself is 95% done. What do you think folks?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

always love seeing triplechangers! good luck on your project man, i'll be watching this thread :D 

3. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    That Override head looks like it's gonna work rather well. Good luck on your first attempt. Do you have any past experience with customizing other figures besides TFs?

4. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    That head is pretty good for a first shot!

5. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    Lockdown huh? Interesting choice. I should be able to tell this, but is that the Movie or the TFA?
    Can you share anything about your transformation plans?
    By the way, way to go on picking an ambitious project first time out! You can win it if you dare!

6. Grimlock_king

Grimlock_king Banned

It looks animated, also good luck springer is one of the best triple changers

7. jdkillzone

jdkillzone Member

Short answer. No. I keep seeing the custom TFs and wanted to try one myself, but I am completely inexperienced. Fortunately a friend at work has done a little work and has helped out with tips.

8. jdkillzone

jdkillzone Member

The legs are from an animated Lockdown junker I picked up. I think it keeps the square look to his vehicle mode that Springer had pretty well. The chest is obviously from Cybertron Override minus all the spring action. I've decided to use some apoxy sculpt to extend the body to the end of what used to be the rotating crotch pieces. Cementing them in place and allowing the hands/arms to retain the same mobility. The waist and thighs from the legs are from a Battle Bumper Smokescreen I found a at a thrift store for a buck. With a little sanding on the inner peg it now has full 360 rotation. I'm going to replace the peg holes at the end of the legs with ball joint and connect the legs at the slide joint peg. I need to retain the slides in Lockdown's legs. I'm reversing them so that where they fold to become the thigh caps on Lockdown they will be the feet on Springer. This will also allow me to roatate the legs and pin them against the sides of hte body for the helicopter mode. I'll add some small gun barrels to the underside of the legs so that the bits that stick out become weapons ports rather than just hanging out for no reason. I apologize for the long explanation, but I wasn't sure how much detail you wanted.

9. cefuroxx

cefuroxx Well-Known Member

dude, good luck

10. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    bravo for taking this on. looking forward to seeing this progress.

11. jdkillzone

jdkillzone Member

Update: Not much to say atm. I've been too busy lately to do a lot on this. I finally got the legs together just to realize that the epoxy I was using for the ball joints wouldn't hold up to the stress. I'm currenlty reworking the mounting of the ball joints and shortening the legs a bit. They were about 1/4 of an inch too long. If things work out I should have some new pics up by next weekend.

12. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i can see it already from your mockup. this is going to be really nice. don't worry about being green. If you can imagine it you can make it happen.

13. jdkillzone

jdkillzone Member

Okay, completed round two on the legs. The ball joint connectors fit nicely onto the upper thighs, and I've shortened the legs enough to get the proper fit I want. Unfortunately the ball joints themselves are stilll kicking my teeth in. Nothing I've tried so far has been strong enough to take the stress of transforming and after one or two tries the ball joints break loose again.

14. jdkillzone

jdkillzone Member

Well, call me a glutton for punishment, I'm going after this bad boy again. My first attempt, sadly, was a failure. When I finally got the Lockdown legs to work they made the whole vehicle way too long. Think the batmobile from the first Michael Keaton movie, lol. So after taking some time off to rethink and simplify my plan, plus tracking down another Override for parts, we will give this another try. Wish me luck folks.

15. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Heck of a firs bash, man. I guess it's go hard or go home for you! :thumb  Best of luck, man!

16. hoshi_1123

hoshi_1123 Drone killer

Ebay:
    I never thought of using Nitro Convoy for this! that chopper mode will work rather well! are you planning on modifying his legs to make them more blocky?

17. jdkillzone

jdkillzone Member

That was part of the original plan, thus the attempt to use Lockdown's legs. Now I've decided to keep them as is for the time being. He's turned into mostly a repaint with a few minor mods for the time being.

18. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow that improvised heli mode works %100 i dont think you need to do much else to him at all except paint. Maybe find him a sword i know darkov casts g1 springer swords for i thiink $10 if you wanted to use one of them. Anyay dude cant wait to see this finished have you thaught what colour your going to do the canopy that could be problematic seen as it forms the chest

19. jdkillzone

jdkillzone Member

I've working on making my own sword using some Bionicle parts. If that doesn't work out a repro G1 sword is a solid plan B. As for the canopy, I'm going with yellow. I've started painting him now and hope to have him done in a couple weeks. I've got several other projects in the works as well. Trying to get a head start on Christmas. Thanks for the interest.

20. jdkillzone

jdkillzone Member

Update: Body is 95% complete, finally.