Heavy/Scratch: Triple Change Classic Springer part 2

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MisfitRobot, Jan 29, 2009.

1. MisfitRobot

MisfitRobot Robot Fighter

News Credits:
    This is an update to my springer project, before I start you should know. I suck at painting and I will be taking all of the paint off and starting over. This project is about 30% done and I was looking to get some feedback on what paints to use and recommendations for features people would like to see.

Here's some things you should know:

Nothing is screwed together everything is propped in place or being held by magnets it's why the robot looks so funky

The big silver discs you see are magnets. The magnets and two tabs hold to the tailpiece on to the leg in all three modes

I drilled a hole through the engine piece and mounted blades "spiner spacer" (I don't know what else to call it) into the engine block so it can be dismounted or remounted whenever you want and they spin freely in helicopter mode.

Here's what I have left to do:

I am going to shorten the helicopter blades and tail fin to a more proportional length

I'm going to start a few parts over with a sunstreaker instead of a sideswipe so yellow is the backdrop color in stead of red

I need to make amounts to hold the helicopter blades underneath the car when it's in Car mode

There's a lot of little finishing things I need to do, but I got the basic idea of the triple change and I now know exactly where everything will go.

Thank you for your time and please leave a comment. I need some serious painting help!

Attached Files:

2. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Crikey! It looks like it might work! Awesome! Can't wait ti see him finished :thumb 

3. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

pretty nice,

Why oh Why has Hasbro denied us this?

4. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

That looks like a pretty tough bash. Glad to see it all looks like it's coming together! Great job. Can't wait for the final!

As for the paint, don't beat yourself up, practice makes perfect! I'll leave painting tips to someone who can actually paint though...

5. WheelJacksWrkShp

WheelJacksWrkShp Here goes nothin'

Now I like this! I can't wait to see this finished. Keep it going man.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Looking at the pictures up close, I don't think there's any reason for you to think that your painting is terrible. It's actually pretty smooth and clean. I just would've gone for a lighter shade of green, but the work you were doing before the reboot wasn't bad at all.

I never would've thought of combining parts from Blades and the Lambos. It looks like it'll work perfectly. I really like this. Not bad for one of your initial attemtps.

7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is one nice major bash, maybe place the rear wheels where the stability rotor is for the car mode

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Is magnets and parts-forming going to be how the final piece transforms and holds together?

9. MisfitRobot

MisfitRobot Robot Fighter

News Credits:
    yes the magnets will be in the final version.

When you look at the 80s version they have a long thin sliding track. Looking through all the classics toys I couldn't find any robot with something long and thin enough to fit into the leg.

so instead of making compromises like the 80s toy did I decided I would focus on getting the look just right and use the magnets to move the tailpiece around.

Also it was kind of the cheaper solution that doesn't involve me buying another toy. So far I've used a sideswipe, blades and sunstreaker I'm kind of hoping I don't have to buy any other parts.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

You're a mad genius!! A GENIUS, I say!!! :) 

zmog

11. bumblebee15

bumblebee15 Autobot

AWESOME!! You can really tell that you put a lot of thought into this bash! Great job! I can't wait to see Him completed!

12. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    This is going to be total win for sure.

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Awesome! I was wondering when someone would do this.

14. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh i cant wait to see this done.

15. squawkbox74

squawkbox74 Mawile enthusiast

You think you should make the green a lighter color.

16. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

That's really creative! You just gave me a great idea (that I'll probably never get around too-lol) And seriously, your painting isn't all that bad..... better than my painting skills.

17. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Your custom is too awesome, love this idea, you seem to know exactly where you're going with this and your paint is fine, though a lighter shade of green will make all the difference.

I'm pretty sure you're gonna nail a great likeness.

Wreckers FTW!!!

18. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Dude this is awesome, seriously, couple questions though;So is the front of the copter going to be the car front as well? and are you going to use the helicopter tail as a third wheel and make him some kind of trike? BTW I agree with everyone's thoughts on the paint as well. Don't beat yourlself up on it, practice will make the differance here ( maybe a good spray color instead of a brush?) Cheers :) 

19. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Blades' tail fins/rotors arranged so that they resemble the rear wheels looks /SICK/, and is completely in-line with Springer's 'futuristic car' look back in the 80's. I am so impressed that there's not even words. It's all so very awesome!

- Alty

20. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Off to a good start! :thumbs2: While some may look at the magnets as a negative or a cheat, I think it could be put to great use conceptually!

This could spinoff into another niche, Swap-formers!

Make the whole Wreckers team with magnets, and they can interchange parts, kinda like the Micronauts! (yes, I'm that old!):drool: