TRF sentry concept art

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shockwavers, Aug 8, 2017.

1. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, so what? I've already said I think you are wrong.

And I am not putting words in your mouth, here is the direct quote that you posted yourself!

I am trying to get you to back up what you said here, and all you can says is they both have

2. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    You went the generalization route with the Hero's Journey. I pointed out just one of the factors that makes TFTM and SW similar, and I really don't feel like trying to explain it anymore, since you clearly have your mind made up that the two are completely dissimilar. Same with SW and TFTLK.

3. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    I pointed out the Hero's Journey because it seems you are the one generalizing that Transformers is the exact same movie as Star wars.

You never said that they were similar, like I just quoted your own words you said that Transformers: The Movie completely borrowed it's story from Star Wars.

Prove me wrong then.

I'm getting annoyed with people say that Transformers: The Movie is a straight copy of Star Wars. Every time I call them out on it the conversation ends. just like you just did. I always say that I will not hold Transformers up as breaking new ground in story telling, hell, neither did Star Wars. This is about the blatant intellectual dishonesty that I can't stand.

4. Blam320

News Credits:
    Again, the Hero's Journey literally covers every genre available. Harry Potter has the Hero's Journey. Beowulf has the Hero's Journey. The Odyssey is the quintessential Hero's Journey. Just because TFTM and SW both have it as well doesn't mean you can immediately discount my argument.

And yes, TFTM did borrow it's story from Star Wars. The two are both Space Opera-style Science Fantasy stories. Both involve a kid harnessing an ancient power to destroy a spheroid weapon of mass destruction (Ep. 4). Both have the space-cowboy and attempt at a strong, female character. Arcee even has Leia's side-buns. Both have sadistic and lazy crime-lords sentencing the heroes to death (Ep. 6). Both have the heroes narrowly escape their base while under attack (Ep. 5).

And as for TLK, while it doesn't really borrow story elements, it definitely has the characters and visuals. Squeaks is clearly a BB-8 style of character. Cogman is fairly unique, but still similar to K-2SO; Crosshairs even refers to him as a C-3PO knock-off, breaking the 4th wall and referencing the massive discussion there was over the similarities I listed and am re-listing, which you apparently missed. The TRF drones in their stock flight mode look like TIE Bombers or TIE Advanced fighters. The TRF sentries are literally their version of the AT-ST, and trip like AT-ATs. They even fall for the same trip-tactic of a tow cable wrapped around the legs.

5. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    YES, AGAIN! YOU ARE THE ONE WHO HAS TO GENERALIZE TO GET TRANSFORMERS AND STAR WARS TO BE THE SAME MOVIE, THAT IS MY ENTIRE FUCKING POINT!

Yes, if you have to boil it down to one sentence. Do you agree Star Wars is a rip off of Dune? The "kid"s motivations are different, the "ancient power" is completely different, the "spheroid weapon of mass destruction" is completely different.

I would say neither of them have a "space-cowboy"

Other than the visual homage to Leia they are completely different. Come on, are you saying that any strong female character is a rip off of Leia?

Are you really going to compare the Quintessons to Jabba the Hut??

This is just pathetic. Really.

6. Blam320

News Credits:
    Are you brain dead???? Have you completely missed the point of my argument??

As far as Dune is concerned, I have not seen it, and so can't really formulate an opinion. I do know that Dune, among other things, was a very heavy influence on Star Wars.

And even the PROMO for the movie says TFTM was "Conceived in the epic tradition of Star Wars."

7. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    You have no argument.

So what?

8. Blam320

News Credits:
    I think you've just destroyed your own argument, good sir. You disregard the evidence, including an official advertisement that specifically states TFTM is a story like Star Wars.

9. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    How do you figure?

Does not equal

10. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    But these examples are probably just pure coincidence...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Not trying to get into an argument, but technically that wouldn't be fourth-wall breaking anymore than the mentioning of Wolverine and Freddy Kruger in the first film or Spock in the third film. That simply means that those fictional characters exist as fictional characters in the live action Transformers universe.

12. Blam320

News Credits:
    Also don't want to start another argument, but "C-3PO knockoff" wasn't the original line said by Crosshairs in the trailers. It was changed before the movie's release.

If you're going to be that picky, Space Balls is a better example of a movie "completely borrowing Star Wars's story."

Those are some very remarkable similarities, even down to how some of those scenes were shot. But having not watched The Avengers, I can't form an opinion.

13. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for making my point for me... I guess.

14. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    I don't think this means "Shot from the same script as..."

I still don't know how TF:TM "rips off" Star Wars. So far all you've done is cherry pick vague examples and generic space fantasy tropes from 3 different movies. I could probably list 20 similarities between Star Wars 1 and an episode of the Teletubbies if I tried really hard.... in fact it probably wouldn't be that hard!

But in your defence, I did find another similarity between TLK and Starwars, Cade and Chewbacca! They both need a haircut!

15. Blam320

News Credits:
    Heheh, good joke. However in my defense, I'm pretty sure I didn't say TFTM completely ripped off Star Wars. A ripoff would be making Space Balls without the parody elements. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm still not sure how we got here. Last I checked, I made a list of a few elements some of us feel TLK took almost directly from Star Wars, since the two were released in such close proximity.

16. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:

17. Blam320

News Credits:
    To take a page from your book of tricks, I'm pretty sure that is not the same as total ripoff.

18. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    What exactly does completely borrowed the story of the original Star Wars mean then?

19. Blam320

News Credits:
    Just so you get an idea, an example of a total ripoff would be Turkish Star Wars. TFTM uses the same story structure as Star Wars. And don't you dare bring up the Hero's Journey again as the story; that's a movie trope used everywhere. What I mean by story is the Space-Opera setting with similar characters, events, actions and goals.

20. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    For example, the bit where Darth Vader flew past the rebel defenses in their own shuttle, or when the Storm Troopers combined to break into that fucked up bar.

What about the time Luke and Obiwan were fishing, and the time the Death Star turned Darth Vader into Darth... Galvatron.

I loved the bit in Star Wars when Han and chewbacca get captured by a strange overlord race, and are freed by giant Dino monsters!

This is what I call "reverse cherry picking"

Explain again how TF:TM borrows the story from Star Wars.. I'm lost

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2