TRF sentry concept art

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shockwavers, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

I mean, I can't think of much more than Izabella feeling like a Rey expy. The "TIE Fighter" drones just look like that because their blast shields are retracted, Cogman is fairly original - the only C-3PO parallels I can find is he's a robot butler, and Sqweeks is just another cute robot mascot, which are also very common - although I can sort of see the comparisons to BB-8.

And if it did actually take a lot from Star Wars, I probably wouldn't care if it were well-executed. Taking inspiration from other things isn't a bad idea if it isn't blatant plagiarism.

...Except nothing was well executed in this movie, so complain away. I'll be over there complaining about the movie's actual faults if you need me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm so glad they wasted the oh so small CG budget on sentries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

Knockoff BB-8/R2-D2 in Squeaks.

Knockoff Tie Advanced drones.

Knockoff AT-STs.

Knockoff K-2SO with Cogman, though I appreciate he was different enough.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The time and effort it took, for something that is just random "sci-fi" nonsense... it's like the actively tried to make me hate this movie. Mission accomplished.

5. Pct1theory

Pct1theory Human Alliance

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    no dude. These are all just standard sci-fi stuff. I'll give you the "What's with the C3PO ripoff??" because it was mentioned in the film and funny. Also I have no idea what any of those are except r2-d2, because you can't walk into ANY retail establishment and not see that character :mad: .

6. Blam320

The Tie Advanced is Darth Vader's personal Tie fighter with the angular wings. You see it in the original Star Wars when he shoots down the Y-wings and X-wings attacking the Death Star's exhaust port. BB-8 is the new trilogy version of R2-D2. The AT-ST is the Star Wars version of the chicken walker. Except in TLK they go the extra mile and trip their version with tow cables, which is the AT-AT's notorious weakness.

7. Pct1theory

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Thank you for the explanations but they went over my head lol. They tripped Lockdown in AOE and even in Robocop stairs defeated ED-209 proving that legs are the weakness on these types of machines. I think its just a common trope and when you have two young fighters (Izzy and Sqweeks) with limited capabilities and no true weapons, you do what you have to do.

8. Blam320

Izzy and Squeaks literally did nothing the entire movie, except at the end. They were token characters. But that's for the movie review thread.

9. Pct1theory

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My point was in order for those two to take out the sentinels, what else could they do besides distracting them and trip their legs? They are not going to grab a gun like Cade and start shooting.

10. jmannrock

jmannrock Failed Knight of Primus

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    AT-ST and badbot from Robocop has a lovechild?

11. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Lighter of Darkest Hours

The R2-D2/BB-8 thing is not even a sci fi thing. You could say they were a rip off of Toto from Wizard of Oz.

If you take more than the slightest glance the drones are nothing like TIE fighters other than the wings are vaguely similar. You could say the same thing about Y Wings being a rip off of Star Trek ships with the engine nacelles.

The sentinels are really nothing more than tank turrets with legs. They don't really share anything with the Star Wars walker designs other than having legs.

K-2SO and Cogman are nothing alike. Let's not forget C-3PO himself is a blatant rip off of Maria from Metropolis.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blam320

I'm pointing these out since TF5 was hot on the heels of SW7, and looks quite like the writers decided to borrow or outright rip-off many things from the Star Wars franchise, from designs to story elements. And it isn't the first time Transformers has borrowed heavily from Star Wars.

13. CKPRIME

And I am pointing out I disagree. Kid friendly characters have been used long before SW7.

That's quite the stretch, a few visual homages or references isn't borrowing heavily.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blam320

"Kid appeal character" covers a very broad range. Bumblebee and Hound were kid-friendly characters in the past. Squeaks, however, follows the R2-D2 convention of speaking in squawks and whistles.

And Transformers: The Movie from 1986 completely borrowed the story of the original Star Wars, with the Hasbro twist of course.

15. CKPRIME

Squeaks actually has a few words. Though R2-D2 follows that convention of non-human characters that don't actually speak. That's not anything that Star Wars created.

No, it doesn't. I will continue to call out people who say this, because you are objectively wrong. Transformers: The Movie is an example of one of the oldest stories in history, the hero's journey. Star Wars didn't invent that either. Transformers is no more of a complete rip off of Star Wars than Star Wars is a complete rip off of Dune.

16. Blam320

Everybody knows about the Hero's Journey. Just not every hero has to deal with a giant space extinction sphere.

17. CKPRIME

I am still waiting for an explanation of how Transformers: The Movie completely borrows the plot of the original Star Wars movie. Are you trying to say Unicron is exactly the same as the Deathstar? Because I must have missed where the Deathstar transforms into a robot. Was that in one of George Lucas' many special edition updates?

18. Blam320

I really don't think you quite understand. You make several incredibly generalized statements that literally cover nearly every movie genre and fail to notice the fine details that I am using to compare Star Wars to Transformers.

19. CKPRIME

That's exactly what you are doing to say that Transformers ripped off Star Wars.

20. Blam320

You kidding me? I listed exactly what I thought TLK borrowed from Star Wars. Everyone on the boards was talking about the extraordinary similarities at the time the trailers were being released. Don't go trying to put words into my mouth.

• Like Like x 1