Trek Fans: What's your opinion on Nemesis?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    So, I re-watched Star Trek: Nemesis again a few days ago. For as much as I want to enjoy it, I found myself kinda frowning the same way I did when I saw it in the theater about 7-8 years back. Why, though? I kept trying to figure out what it was that I didn't like about this ostensibly good Star Trek film.

The thing I keep coming back to is that it feels very "safe." None of the major conventions of Star Trek storytelling are violated. The villain is, from the outset, appropriately two-dimensional, even though the scriptwriters try to squirt some emotion and believability into the character by having him parlay with Picard in that dinner scene. The space battle has some surprising new tricks, but it's a lot of the same posturing, looking for cloaked ships, etc. that we'd seen in previous films. There just wasn't that much to make you go "Oh WOW, now THERE's something I never expected Star Trek to do!"

It has some nice, touching scenes that, at least in my opinion, are important to the TNG storyline - Riker and Troi move on in life, the ageless android finally dies, Picard stays with the Enterprise despite a new crew, but...man, I just remember walking out of the theater feeling the same way I did when that DVD ended - THIS is the send-off that crew gets?

Trek fans, whaddya think? Good movie? Bad movie? What went wrong with nemesis?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  2. thlinux

thlinux O/S Prime

Ebay:
    I think it was a good Season Finale, but a bad movie. Overall I didn't mind it, but much of my fondness comes from the after affects of the movie. I've enjoyed the Star Trek: Titan novels as well as the way they tied it into the new Star Trek movie. Viewing it from that perspective gives the plot a little bit of a lift. If you're a Star Trek fan you will find something in this movie that you like, but I think Ratner failed where he was trying to make this movie accessible to a broader audience. At least he didn't fall back to the "pull someone from a previous Star Trek series to increase viewers" like they did in Generations.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's a background noise movie for me. It doesn't thrill me, but doesn't piss me off either. Not in the middle-of-the-road sense that Insurrection had, but with this everyone involved seemed to be trying to produce a big send-off to the TNG lore in a Wrath of Khan style but didn't quite know how to do it. Instead they stuck with the conventions they knew and tried to steer towards the STII direction and ended up in the land of mediocrity.

4. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    I watched Nemesis again a couple of months ago. The movie is....okay. It's not one of my favorites Trek movies[Those being Voyage Home, Undiscovered Country, First Contact and Star Trek]. But it had some moderately enjoyable parts [Data singing 'Blue Skies'].

I don't like passing harsh judgment on things. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. I do have exceptions though :wink: 

5. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Personally, I hated the fact that they killed off Data. There was so much that still could have been done with the character, despite the fact that he showed up as Captain of the Enterprise in that IDW prequel comic. I'm assuming that was B-4 who found his inner Data.

The Romulan/Reman stuff was pretty cool, but cloning Picard was lame. I just think there was a lot more they could have done to send the TNG crew out with a better bang.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Can't stand it personally, horribly writen film that trades off little more then the fact that people like those characters.

As far as the characters go - Spiner got all his self-indulgent wank, Stewart turns up because its free money and everybody else is phoning in most of the time because the little material they have sucks.

I think it probably dodged getting a reputation as an utter turd because nobody really cared or expected better from Star Trek at that point thanks to Voyager and Enterprise. If it had been in the shoes of Generations or First Contact, it would have been ST's Phantom Menace or Batman and Robin.

For LOLZ - Star Trek Nemesis Pictorial Plot Synopsis Page 1 of 4

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It's okay, but killing off Data with obvious opening for a rebirth (if the film did well) was lame. Cloning Picard was meh, but not that bad really. Kinda made sense from a plot standpoint, but like RabidYak said, everyone else is just background, again. That being said, I can watch on a semi-regular basis without spasms of nerdrage filling me up.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My brother and I don't think it was too bad. I cried when Data died, because I could easily relate to him.

9. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I just liked seeing the Big E in a space battle. I don't really care about anything else.

Needed more whales.

10. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I think the first post has it right when Nemesis is labeled "safe". It really is. As much as I enjoy most of the movie, it's nothing I haven't seen before. There are some nice scenes and action sequences. I enjoy the wedding of Riker and Troi, the cameo by Admiral Janeway and the major space fight at the end. But it's TNG by the numbers, and I think that is the major failing of an otherwise decent Trek story.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    i think it was a weak ending to TNG

12. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

the problem really with the movie was that it wasnt really so much a ending more of a "continuing adventures of the starship Enterprise"

13. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I didn't love it like some of the other movies.

I'm not going to defend it, I won't state the problems with this film.

But I will say I enjoyed it.

My highlights:
    -Admiral Janeway cameo
    -Argo flying off the cliff into the shuttle
    -Riker and Troi
    -first look at the new Romulan Warbirds
    -character development on Worf ("The Romulans fought with honor")
    -the big battle...which had everything!!!
    [photon and quantum torpedoes; telepathic tracking; boarding party; debris hitting the ship; the bridge actually gets hit;a person getting sucked out of a hull breach; shaky cam technique was NOT used, they were on a movable platform; firing wildly in the hopes of hitting something; kamikaze maneuver; and lots of LCARS screen shots]
    -an event that could lead to a peace treaty
    -in the cut scene where after Capt Riker leaves Picard's office and has a little fun with the new first officer, and Worf vs the young crewman = awesome

After both ships were disabled after the crash, if I were on the bridge and in command, I would have ask for volunteers to pilot the Captain's yacht and the shuttles (1701-E has 3, right?), the captured Scorpion attack flyer and attack Shinzon's ship. Sure they could have done enough damage to disable the weapon so that Data didn't have to sacrifice himself, and the shuttles has a transporter, right? Could have beamed out Picard before shooting up their bridge.

I didn't like the B4 plot.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's possible to have an awesome send off, the Enterprise E isn't supposed to be destroyed for awhile, and most of the crew is still aboard her. They will continue to explore and have special missions . The only way to "end" this series is to have Picard die, resign, retire, or promoted. So that a new captain is in charge of the Enterprise, kinda like Kirk handing the reigns to Harriman of the Enterprise B.

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    The best movie was First Contact. All the other ones just felt like long episodes.

15. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but I remember it being pretty awful, and I have no particular desire to see it again.
    And thanks to this, I'll never have to. Awesome

16. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    S'alright.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Admiral Janeway and Lt. Whesley Crusher would like a few words with you.

18. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ Wesley didn't even get a line in the final film, though.

It's Trek, so I like it at baseline. It's more action-filmy than the other Treks, so that was a bit different and fun. Not my favorite Trek, but better than Generations and Insurrection, at least.

19. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Caught it on TV a few years back (around '06 and it was in French), not too bad.

This. I like the new Romulan Warbird designs over the TNG/DS9 models IMO.

20. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Part of my issue with Nemesis is that fans had been looking forward to having the Romulans as villains of a movie for years. But the first movie that comes around that actually puts them as a focus, we're instead introduced to the Remans who are the real villains of this film. But they aren't even the masterminds, instead that role is a defective clone of Picard the Romulans created but abandoned, bent on being the "Evil Mirror" of the real Picard. It's an interesting concept, but it just seemed like too many twists for the one movie to me.