3D Artwork: Treadshot's Shapeways Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Treadshot A1, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

Whoa... Nice!

How much will crosshairs cost, estimated?

Good work!

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

$68 for Crosshairs himself, and Pinpointer is ~$20 (off the top of my head), both in WSF.

I'd say in my design experience that both are relatively middle of the range for their size, in terms of price. I've hollowed and scaled them both to minimise cost, while keeping durability. I'm expecting to be able to order a test sample of Crosshairs in a week or two (Pinpointer is already on the way). When i get them and the work, then they'll be up on Shapeways. :) 

3. Treadshot A1

Introducing....Baynimated Sideswipe!

Ever since i saw MPrime10's digibash of Animated Blurr in Sideswipe's colours, i knew i wanted to make an Animated version of Sideswipe. He's by far my favorite movie character, and i just loved the concept of a rollerskating robot with arm blades.

For Baynimated Sideswipe, I focused a hell of a lot on the robot mode, making it a mix of Blurr and Sideswipe. The chest is mainly inspired by Blurr's, along with the lower arms, while the legs and feet were more Sideswipe. I went with that because i wanted to have the front wheels of the car near Sideswipe's feet. Not rollerskating per se, but close to it.

The car mode is a bit of a curveball. I envision this Sideswipe as a racer, who's exceptional on straight tracks, and literally sideswipes his opponents when he passes them. I based the car mode on the old toy cars i had years ago, a very basic car that's built for straight line speed and nothing else. Who cares about turning, anyways? I was originally going for ROTF Sideswipe rather than DOTM, but in the end i decided to mix the two for the vehicle mode, preferring ROTF's closed roof with DOTM's spoiler. The side detailing is meant to resemble the Stingray's from Sidearm Sideswipe.

Talking about Sidearm Sideswipe, i decide to mix up Baynimated Sideswipe's weaponry a little. He's still got his iconic arm blades to slash with, but i turned the middle of the car roof into two handheld triple-barreled blasters for him. Sort of like ROTF Sideswipe, but with Sidearm's ranged weaponry thrown in. The blasters can both be stored behind the legs when not in use.

For the head, i really wanted...well, i don't know what i wanted actually. I only had two things to go on, a blue/silver Mugenbine Candy toy's head, and the word Paladin (I've since named the Mugenbine Paladin, actually). The Mugenbine gave the two side spikes on each side of Sideswipe's face, while the middle crest resulted from my original design sketch of Sideswipe (i added a crest because it was late at night and i was tired and not thinking straight). The two protrusions next to the crest are from this piece of art here, when i tried to more accurately get Sideswipe's head shape. As for the expression, i imagine a young, eager Autobot. By which i mean young and eager for Decepticons. I wanted a hint of malice to him, so i stole the smirk i used on my old Happy Hunter head, and gave it to 'Swipe.

Oh, and since Yuyuyami delted his posts earlier, i guess i'll repeat it here. Sideswipe uses a far more complicated transformation than my designs usually do. That's because it's a) better for blending the two styles, and b) because i aim to please the fans :) lol). I've included a step-by-step transformation sequence photo shoot below.

Anyways, i hope you guys like him, i know it's a bit out there, but that's when you get when you mix Bayverse and Animated!

Vehicle mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Transformation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robot Mode:

[​IMG]

Sideswipe: "Um, what's that black thing for?"
    Treadshot: "It's two black things, actually"
    Sideswipe: "And it's used for...?"
    Treadshot: "Just get on with the photo shoot. I'll explain later"

[​IMG]

Sideswipe: "Seriously, what are they for?"
    Treadshot: "Blitzwing"
    Sideswipe: "Anyone else?"
    Treadshot: "Whoever you want. To die, that is"

[​IMG]

Sideswipe: "Ah, gotcha."

4. general saberwi

general saberwi legoformer

that sideswipe is cool, but a). how big is it? and b). how much is it going to cost. also, i'm not that big a fan of the head, it just screams J@Am to me. (translation:it looks kinda like armada hot shot's infamous jAaM grin, and not at all like sideswipe.) but overall, it looks really good.

5. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I like the general design that went into this, but the proportions in both modes are off and it looks like you sacrificed leg poseability for the transformation.

The upper body and head are good, but his waist is too thin and the kibble on the back of his legs needs to fold up better and the roof piece hanging off his back needs to plug into his back.

The car mode also needs to be shorter and it'd be awesome if you could make it less blocky.

I really like the hands, you did a good job on those.

6. Treadshot A1

It should be about Scout size or so, and cost around the $50 mark, once I get everything hollowed out and scaled properly.

Looking again, I can see the JaAm is Swipe's face. I'm thinking it's the smirk. I'll go back tomorrow (it's around midnight now), see about changing it. I'm thinking a slight frown should give a more serious warrior look.

Hmm...well, I do want to please people with my designs, I guess.

The leg posability has no issues at all. It's still got ball jointed hips, knees and ankles, all of which are usable and not hindered by the transformation. I'll work on a few action shots when I wake up.

As for proportions, I really don't see the problem. It is meant to be animated, and I went for sleek and fast. I don't quite see the part that's wrong? Which part do you think is off?

The roof piece on his back, I guess I'm not making myself clear enough. The rear window was deliberately cut at the length it was, to create the illusion of a cape. It's meant to hang off his back, as a cape should.

Since I will be shortening the car mode, I guess the panels on the back of the legs will be shortened along with it.

My plan is this: shorten the upper body, which should shorten the entire car, along with the bonnet and roof. That basically shortens the panels on the back of the legs for me, while keeping the legs the same length as they are now.

7. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    If that's meant to be a cape, I'd have the hinge set closer to the body and have it angle down and away from the body. As it is, while I see what you're trying to do, it just looks like kibble that was never cleaned up.

And while I understand the animated aesthetic, that waist is still a bit too thin. It shouldn't be wide, but it's comically small at this hips. I guess it's just the hips that are screwing with the proportions in robot mode.

8. Treadshot A1

Sadly to allow the cape to fold back further means cutting a huge gash into the back it the vehicle mode. I kept it pointing down because I didn't want the vehicle mode to, y'know, have a hole in the back.

I see what you mean about the hips. I'll enlarge them, though I'll have to see how it looks after the changes I said above, before I decide how much to enlarge the waist by.

9. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    It's a work in progress. You have a good start and if you keep working on it you'll have an awesome figure at the end.

10. Treadshot A1

Agreed. I'll report back when I get the changes worked out. Thanks a lot for your input, Yuyuyami. :) 

11. Noise Maker

Noise Maker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow...that's the best model you've done so far, IMO.

I'm really impressed that you managed to design such a complicated transformation. And you managed to make him seem Animated, which isn't easy to do.

EDIT: One minor critique, though: The car doesn't really look "futuristic" to me, unlike official Animated designs. It looks more like a sleek 80s/90s car. Don't really know why that is, however...maybe it's just me.

12. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Might I suggest you give Sideswipe several Elvis motifs? With the cape and his shoulder assembly that resembles a popped collar and his general white color scheme, you're already a fair ways there.

13. Treadshot A1

Was never really a fan of Elvis myself, i don't think i know enough about the guy to use that style on Sideswipe. Any particular things i could do? I mean, aside from add a ridiculous haircut...?

14. Treadshot A1

As requested, here's Baynimated Sideswipe V2!

I made a lot of changes with this version, addressing as many people's concerns as i could. Firstly, i shortened the car mode and reshaped the bonnet and windscreen. I hoped to get a slightly more believable car mode, while keeping it close to the old toy cars i had as a kid (which might explain why to some, 'Swipe looks a bit like an 80's/90's car). I also changed the car's design, forgoing the black roof for silver with black windows instead. Not quite like a real car, but not as ridiculous as the original version.

Secondly, i went ahead and shortened the waist. I figured out what was throwing off 'Swipe's proportions before. His legs were as long as his torso, which just didn't work for 'Swipe. With the waist shortened, i think he looks a lot better now, more believable as a robot, somewhat more humanoid. I hope this also reduces strain on the legs and hips. With the new body design, i felt that he looked alright as is, so i didn't enlarge the waist as Yuyuyami suggested.

Thirdly, to emphasise the cape, i opened up the joint on the back of the vehicle further, allowing the panel to fold away from the body. I only added a small amount extra, though, to try and keep the car mode as nice as i could (any more and there'd be a big gap in the back of the car).

The last thing was to try and get the point across a bit better. In the original design, i'd taken a lot of care in making sure the legs wouldn't have any scarficies made to their articulation due to the bonnet, but it seems the pictures didn't convince anyone. So, this time, i just took more out of the front windscreen section, and tacked it onto the blasters instead. Now, the bonnet pieces sit below the knees, so there should be absolutely no worries about knee and leg articulation. He's got ball jointed knees, hips and ankles, so he should be able to pose easily. The guns have now been changed from the original triple blasters to twin-barreled blasters instead. I added an energy blade to the side, though, as i just couldn't stand having a Sideswipe who couldn't access his arm blades while hold the guns. The energy blades let him slash even while he's blasting away. The new blasters still can stow behind the knees when not in use, and have been adjusted to allow maximum articulation even when holstered.

I've still got some hollowing and scaling to do, so the final build may have some of the parts hollowed out from behind to save on plastic (and hopefully that should let me pass on some of the savings :)  ).

EDIT: Current cost on Shapeways (approximately, after scaling to 85% and hollowing): ~$62.00

Vehicle Mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Transformation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robot Mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You are getting really good at your designs Tready, and quite complex looking aswell

16. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Very nice, much better than the first version.

17. Treadshot A1

Thanks Megatron31! I decided to go for a more complex robot than Crosshairs after Yuyuyami wouldn't stop complaining about it. :) lol j/k)

By the way, did you ever get around to casting the Duality Blast Gun (DL Blast Gun)?

Thanks! Looking back, i can see what you meant about the first version being out of proportion. Hindsight is incredible. :lol 
    --------------------------------------------
    Oh, and i fixed up the transformation sequence above. Looks like i got a few of my photobucket links mixed up.

18. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    It almost seems like you could put another hinge in his cape so it could hug closer to his body. It'd also give it more poseability for billowing in the wind for action poses.

Might I also suggest that his swords be removeable from his guns, as well as his guns being able to plug into his back for storage?

19. Treadshot A1

The guns are already able to stow on in the holsters behind the legs. Also, the back was cut into during the hollowing process, so there isn't much left behind him anymore. It's all been removed from the back to save on plastic and cost (as is the Hasbro way, "if it looks good from the front, it's probably okay to sell" :lol  just kidding). Also, you can't actually fit the guns behind his back, as the gap from his back to the shell of the car isn't wide enough, and i can't add ports to the back of the car shell without making the back of the car look absolutely ridiculous (i'd have to put two cylinders on the back, which would give it comically huge exhaust pipes). The room in the gap is already filled by the head and inner wheel caps in car mode, sadly.

As for the swords....i guess i never really envisioned them as swords. I was going more for a side-mounted bayonet type of weapon, so i stuck them onto the guns.

I don't quite get what you mean about making his cape hug closer to his body, though. I mean, if i were to add a second hing so that it could lay flat and then fold down nearer his neck, the cape would be drastically shortened, unless you have an idea for how to make that work? And last i checked, solid metal capes don't billow in anything but hurricanes. :lolol 

20. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Well, make the cape longer. That could take some mass from his ridiculously large guns.

And the Rule of Cool supercedes logic.