3D Artwork: Treadshot's Shapeways Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Treadshot A1, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

THREAD MAINTENANCE ONGOING -Treadshot A1

Latest Release: Yellowarden

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. Treadshot A1

The Treadshot Idea Lab​

(aka The 'Coming Soon' Area)

-------------------------------------------------

Rimfire

[​IMG]

Robot partner for Generations Scoop. 43mm tall with 3mm-compatible hands. Transforms into a 5mm-compatible Blaster Mode and Mini-Artillery mode.

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------​

3. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

That all looks very nice. Only thing i'm not really digging is how the faces look kind of flat.
    Except for "Paranoid"'s face that is.
    That Bayonet looks awesome too. Can't really say much about that last piece, as i haven't seen the Wheel and Caster model yet.
    As for your parental units disagreeing, did you explain to them how it works? You don't actually sell these things, you give Shapeways a license to sell them and they pay you royalties.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Rather cool. I know designing heads can be a bear, which is why I've allocated a separate CAD file just to store my designs for them. I'm making them as modular as possible, with different styles of eyes, visor, faceplates, helmets and crests etc, and assembling them into new heads as and when I need to.

Also, you'll want to alter those clips and shafts; the bars are 3mm diameter, not 2.

5. Treadshot A1

Hmm, yeah, some are a bit flat. I'm going completely off G1 drawings on TF Wiki for most of these, but without exact dimensions i'm kinding guessing at the exact measurements. I think after they print they should look better, let's just keep hoping. ;) 

Glad you like the Bayonet! The Wheel and Caster model is exactly what it sounds like; it's the circular saw sans the saw teeth. It's just a base from which to build spinny things. :D 

Hmm, i think the problem they have with it is that you have to give SW your credit card/bank account details so they can pay you. They don't like giving away information, apparently, which is fair enough. If enough people show interest here, then i might go see if they'll reconsider. :) 

Hmm, that is a good idea. Modular heads. Sadly Sketchup isn't quite willing to allow modular construction. :( 

Clips and shafts will be altered to 4-3 measurements, when Sketchup stops throwing a fit. ;) 

6. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure it is - just put the sections of the head that you want to keep seperate into groups or components and then you can mix and match easily.

7. Treadshot A1

Heh, i know. Components. But the problem is, if you use components in Sketchup, and then export as a Collada file for SW, there is a glitch in the upload system of SW's site that prevents models to be uploaded, if they involved importing stuff in Sketchup, regardless whether you explode the components or not.

I have posted on teh SW forums, and am yet to get a response. Hopefully they will either fix it or tell me how to get around it. I currently have figured out one way, and that is to export as an STL, but since i have no access to STL software, i need someone to change my .dae files to stl's, which can be a painstakingly long waiting game, and also very annoying for both me and the person helping me, as i have a lot of models.

8. Rodentus prime

News Credits:
    Once you explode the component try going in Window>Model info>Statistics and hit 'Purge unused' otherwise it keeps a record of the component - Maybe after you do that it will export and upload properly?

9. Rhinox555

That may be why the Collada files i send keep bouncing.
    Edit: Nope. Tried what Rodentus prime suggested, still says that it can't be validated.

10. Treadshot A1

I found a source for ruby scripts for Sketchup that allow exporting as STL files. I've yet to try it, but when I do tonight, I will post the results, if any.

By the way, and i know Ramrider knows this, but check out my Predaking thread in RGD, there a some models there that I haven't bothered to copy here.

11. Rhinox555

Well, like i said in my Thread, Shapeways reccomends using Meshlab to export as STL, which is what i've been doing. But i've yet to test print something, so i don't know if that keeps the exact measurements intact.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think Rhinox is right on the money with his comments, as I think he provided a lot of very insightful things already. I think that you'll find with this project that it's going to be very much a learning experience for you. I can only see you exponentially improving. That's certainly no discredit to your work, as I think it's very strong. The rifles are very well done especially.

As discussed in your Creative GD thread, I think that the rifles are generic enough in basic design (the G1 versions) that they can be utilized by many figures, especially the Classics deluxes.

:thumb 

13. Rhinox555

Just a quick thought: what if the bayonet attached to the gun through a 5mm peg and was shaped a little bit like a combination between a tonfa and a bayonet? It would be able to double as one, creating a neat additional feature.

14. Treadshot A1

SQ7, thanks a lot for looking! Yes, certainly this is going to be a learning experience for me, I've only just barely scratched the surface of 3D design. I look forward to producing more in the future, no doubt Rhinox and Ramrider's advice will prove very useful indeed.

Rhinox, I do think that's a great idea, a 5mm peg so you could hold it as a sword as well. However, there is a reason I used the 3mm pegs on this version: Breacher. His clip is perpendicular to his arm, so when you attach the bayonet to his clip it will double as a sword. Also, for Skystalker, you can attach this to him and the bayonet will serve almost like an extension to his arm, sorta like Gundam Exia's sword if you're familiar with Gundam. Hence, this version uses a 3mm clip. :) 

15. Treadshot A1

Updated with Bazooka.

16. Rhinox555

Ah, cool. I wasn't talking about a sword though, i was talking about a Tonfa. A bladed Tonfa so it would still look like a bayonet when attached.

[​IMG]

A possible solution would be to have the 3mm clip on top, and the peg on the bottom, so it would support both systems. But it's your design, and as such, your choice. Which, given what you just said about Breacher and Skystalker,sounds like an awesome choice.

EDIT: That's a sweet bazooka. Where would one get that plug-in you mentioned?

17. Rodentus prime

News Credits:
    You can get a lot of 'must have' plug-ins Here.

18. Treadshot A1

From Rodentus Prime's link, grab Roundedge. It's a great plugin that you can't live without. You will also have to download Fredo6 for it to work, but it's worth it for round edge. The guy who wrote those plugins makes awesome stuff.

Also, do a search for "sketchup plugin export as STL" and click the first link. Download the program, and run it to install. After which it should automatically link into your Sketchup (works with 8). You have to get a key, so use the trial one, which is basically a 10 day, 10 use only key. Of course, the reason I recommend it is because it let's you ask for keys more than once, so the more email addresses you have...well, you can figure it out.

19. Treadshot A1

New stuff. Not tested yet. Will test when funds allow.

20. Treadshot A1

Complete overhaul! I've just redone the first two posts, added some new stuff. :)