Treadmills vs. Ellipticals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Barracuda, Jan 4, 2012.

1. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

I'm thinking of getting myself a piece of exercise equipment for the home so I can get my ass moving whilst watching movies, TV, etc, get my wieght down and my shape "up" and was wondering what people think of the two obvious choices.

My first instinct was to get a treadmill; there's a lot of good prices on now for decent treadmills but it seems like every company has its share of horror stories of treadmills breaking. They're big, sometimes noisy, and of course, there's the power requirements. To buy a higher-horsepower motor means you need at least a dedicated 15/20 amp outlet of which I have none, especially in the room where I'd like to put it (the man-cave, which has a lot of electronics already plugged in).

So my thoughts turned towards ellipticals, which need only batteries to power the console. Nice and green. They also have the benefit of taking up slightly less space, are quieter, and don't impact the joints quite as much. Now I wasn't planning on running sprints for 10K, but getting on for an hour a day while I watch a movie (and I do watch a lot) or TV show. I've read that while treadmills burn calories faster, ellipticals work both the upper and lower body.

I'm just wondering on everybody's thoughts out there who own one or the other or use both.

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I would recommend and elliptical. Not only does it work more body parts and burn more calories but it has less impact on the joints.

On a treadmill you are constantly slamming yoru feet against it (like walking, jogging and running) which causes strain on the foot , ankle, knee and hips. Where as an elliptical only sees your heel leaving the surface.

To me, ellipticals are more bang for your buck in every catagory.

3. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Second vote for elliptical. Much easier on the joints. I've been using one several times a week for the past 8 years, and I love it.

I'm not convinced treadmills burn more calories. You can put in equal amounts of effort on the elliptical and achieve the same effect I would imagine.

I too use it while watching TV/Netflix. Makes it much more tolerable!

Don't forget to go backwards occasionally as well. I've added some backwards motion to my normal grind and it helps to work the other muscles.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ive used both at the gym and definitely like the elliptical better

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Another vote for the elliptical

6. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I have both and prefer the treadmill, but only because you will get in better condition running and getting the heart rate higher up.

The elliptical is a great instrument for burning calories as long as the tension level is set high.

They both have their benefits and drawbacks.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Use the elliptical at home until it's warm enough to run outside for free. Running burns far more calories than the same time spent on an elliptical, but it doesn't sound like your home is equipped for a treadmill.

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Treadmills make great clothes hangers.

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I always use the treadmill at the Gym. Oddly enough, the Elliptical actually hurts my knees where the treadmill doesn't.

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I use both at the gym.

11. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

My wife and I decided to get a new piece of exercise equipment a couple years ago.I wanted an elliptical,she wanted a treadmill.Since she was going to be the primary user,we went with a treadmill,which I have no interest in using because I have issues with my knees/ankle.It now sits in the basement collecting dust.........should've gotten the elliptical.

12. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I've used both and until I messed up my back powerlifting, the treadmill was my machine of choice. But now since high-impact cardio has been ruled out by the doc, I find the elliptical is pretty damn good.

13. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand how the elliptical is lower impact and easier on the joints/knees, however my personal vote is for treadmill.

I'm a runner, and everytime I try the elliptical, the motion just feels really awkward. Treadmill = more natural running form. But hey, that's just me.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    And the clothes you always see hung on exercise equipment are size XXFat.

15. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

my family got trendmill - serria the dog sometimes used trendmill

16. The Barracuda

Okay, thanks for the input everyone. I eventually decided on an elliptical and it arrived yesterday from Sears. I picked up the Schwinn 420 and after putting it together, used it last night. It's a great machine and I hope I get a lot of use out of it. That's a New Year's Resolution I actually kept.

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Oppps, coming in late, but I wanted to add IF/ When you get the elliptical just be sure to get one that "fits" your stride well..I've used some at gyms that kept my knees in alignment very well and other home models that have a tendency to try and keep my stride too wide. I hope that makes sense, but on the wider ones it actually hurt my knees more than a treadmill...seemed like the elliptical I was on was "forcing" my knees to turn out or something. It sounds strange I guess, but it hurt my knees enough I got rid of that elliptical and got one that would allow my leg/knee/hip alignment to be more normal...for me. :) 

Good luck and have fun!! They are nice to use and work the upper and lower body pretty well.

18. The Barracuda

No, it seems to fit me pretty well. At least I don't notice my legs being forced too far apart. I was on it for about 30 minutes last night and I think the stride fit me pretty good.

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    This thread is heavily making me miss my trampoline... :( 

20. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I won't know much about the elliptical or the threadmill because I run outside.