Treading on dangerous water with MP, need your opinion

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Sep 28, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    So after holding out on MP grimmy, I have seen too many awesome things about him, that I feel that I can just nab him from TRU and pose him next to my classics, as they are in scale.

Here is the issue:

I don't collect MP. I wasn't planning to as they are REALLY expensive to collect as a whole, esp. when many doesn't make it to US.

I thought about nabbing Skywarp due to cheapness of price along with Grimmy.

Once again, I really want to stay away from having to start going into MP craze, as I know that, I wasn't planning to collect animated until I got a "lot" from a member here, planning to only keep UM and sell the rest, and then I fell in love and dropped more moola to finish the collection.

So the question is, should I bother with grimmy? with Skywarp? Should I just control myself and hold?

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why hold back from love? :D 

But I kind of see what you mean, because I've never been a MP fan but Grimlock has been mighty tempting. I'm hoping he'll be around until Christmastime.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I just.... don't have the funding (at least healthy anyways, since I want to save money >.>) to support yet another line.

I wasn't going into animated, and now I am due to a "lot" I got.
    I wasn't going into HTFD, I told myself only a few exceptions like Breacher and Seaspray, and now I find myself collecting that line along with the other lines.

This is going to turn out to be pretty bad economically, if I tack on MP line, as we all know that some of those Jpn MP are crazy prices.

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Well I got MP Grimlock and its the ONLY MP I'm gonna get (so far anyway, not interested in MP Rodimus). Just get it if you want it. Its as easy as that. Remember that the MP line is VERY finite.

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Fuck control. Go buy Grimlock.

You will want more, but if you just stick to US releases you'll only be looking at about $70 (ish) a year, since there seems to only be one MP released per year. It's just about the same price as buying a new video game.

6. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

MP don't have to be inline with your other collections. Just pick him up for his pure character likeness. You will never have such a great figure that has so much articulation and detail than MP Grimlock. You can skip Skywarp, just get Grimmy and maybe find a loose MP Prime. Those are the 2 to have my friend.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I was thinking about Faith Leader for the Prime, because MP prime is a bit large next to Grimlock, right?

8. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    MP Prime is a bit large next to any toy. Thats why I dont have one.

9. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

how about getting both from a member (cough) who has one of each MISB ready to go?

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    tempting ;)  but I still haven't decided on MP skywarp. I am leaning towards MP grimmy + faith leader

11. PORTER

PORTER energon is just mtn dew

Do you like seekers? Than consider skywarp.
    for me i always loved the seekers and imo skywarp has the best color scheme other than starscream even though starscream is red,white and blue i like black,purple and silver more.

it just depends if you like a character enough to get his/her mp figure
    im getting hasbro starscream,thundercracker,grimlock,prime,megatron and hot rod

besides if you cant afford grimlock now than either wait to get him online or from a freind.
    or if your poor like me save your extra cash and just do stuff for people for money (mow lawns etc)
    or if you have a job get some overtime!

Im not pressuring you to get him just if you love grimlock enough to spend 70+ dollars on him go for it
    G1 character will have his/her own masterpeice figure if it hasnt been made yet.
    heres hoping for a masterpeice sixshot! :) 

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Thanks ^^;

the money situation is kind of sticky and not in the normal way.

I do have a job, and I pretty good pay one at that. But I am also saving up for a house and to have a family. I "can" buy all the transformers I want, but it is not a wise investment into the future that way, which now forces me to pick and choose. I was looking for a Classics line replacement of the grimlock there, and thought about MP grimmy, that's why I considered purchasing him.

I am trying to read some Faith Leader review and see if I should go with that or MP Skywarp

13. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, I don't think it would be a bad idea for you to fall in love with the Masterpiece line. Its the definitive line of G1 toys that look like their cartoon counterparts (The seekers are a bit off) and have a lot of articulation as well.

Grimlock can still be brought at retail, Walmart Skywarp has jumped to what 30 bucks shipped? Optimus Prime will be kind of expensive because the Hasbro versions were selling for a good 110 and the Takara MP01 was 160 when I was looking for one at least so it was a no brainer to snatch up MP04 for 200 bucks.

Walmart Starscream can also be purchased around 50 bucks... or buy Green Scream (Like mine:thumbs2: ) cheap on the forums. Thundercracker has jumped from 124 to 200 dollars in some places so that is probably the most expensive seeker you'll buy.

As for Megatron... I owned and sold it within days... just didn't do the character justice in my opinion. Which is sad because I really want a Megatron but that toy is really lacking something. Maybe if someone went back and decreased the size of his Arm Cannon I'd like it more.

14. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

i have MP OP and the 3 seekers, i bought MP04 first because he is one of THE TFs to have. then i pick up TC and loved him so had to buy the other seeekers to complete the set....

i've only tranformed each one a couple of times. they are for display only. they do look great due to their size and details.

i love to get the Takara grimlock as i think his size goes well with my CHUG collection, but the price is too high at the moment... may be he will get a re-issue?

15. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Spoken like a true American...damnit, now I want to grab one, even though I shouldn't. D=

16. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Hasbro version push the priced down for that Grimlock. My Takara Grimlock was only 115 shipped from Japan:thumbs2: . The Hasbro release is what... 70 bucks at toysrus? I've never looked.

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

There.