Transtech

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ConeheadConvoyX, Jul 15, 2009.

1. ConeheadConvoyX

ConeheadConvoyX Banned

I don't really know much about it but I new it was supposed to be a sequel to BW and BM. But I was thinking, is it possible that it could be revived and used has the next TF franchise after ROTF? I know this is a longshot but I think Hasbro can do it.

2. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Would be cool. But highly doubtful.

The club comic just visited the universe and gave us some cool bios. That's about it.

3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *Trying not getting into my own views on Transtech. Lets just say I think the best thing Transtech ever did was not get made thus turning it into some sort of holy grail that's only awesome because it never got the chance to suck*

Back on topic Indeed it was supposed to be the follow up to Beast Machines but it got canned in favour of importing RiD. Their is character art out their as well as photos of a resin deluxe Screamer toy. You can find some Transtech story's made in the TFCC comic but keep in mind its not really using the old story's the show would have used. It's just picking up the name and designs and doing something with them to cash in on the hype

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have seen the artwork and think that since so few designs were sketched, they could possibly make it into the TFU toyline.
    NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
    but, i wish they would. some of those designs put a massive bitch slap on a lot of current toys

5. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I would simply love me some damn Transtech getting the unboot. Sure, a couple of designs made it to other series, yeah TFCC did their own take on it (but as a world very separate from what Transtech was meant to be...a continuation of BW & BM..which are continuations of G1 & subsequently G2).

It's pretty sad, actually. There's this slowly growing chain of series that loosely (but tight enough to fit) fits together, and its dumped.

I say bring it back. Sure, some new designs would be needed (certainly in Prime's case since his overall design appears to have gone a great deal into Animated Prime), but so what? THAT'S THE BEST PART!!! :D 

6. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    QFT. It's easy for everyone to imagine this as their own personal perfect show, but the fact is if had been made, or is ever made, we the fandom will be split along the same lines we always are. Some would love it and buy every toy, some would hate it and boycot the line entirely. Most will fall somewhere in the middle, enjoy it for what its worth and collect the toys that catch their eye. At this point the hype alone would destroy any chance it had of working.

7. Covenant

Ebay:
    Aw, come on now. Does the liklihood there would be those that wouldn't enjoy it and hate the toys mean all the good, fun, and in Hasbro's interests - money that would come from the new show are best left out to pasture? By that logic we shouldn't have Transformers, ever, any era, any type. In fact, we should have nothing. In general. Worldwide. Crap, scratch that, there's folks that don't like nothing. I just don't think someone not liking a series/continuity & its associated toys, or in this case a potential one, is reason enough to not do it. If that were the way it worked, well, let's just say I'm glad that's not the way it works.

8. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Wait, are you talking to me? That's not what I meant. I'd love to see a followup to BW/BM. Or any continuation of the old continuity. But if it was called Transtech, or reported to be based on Transtech's idea, the people who would most look forward to it would be most disapointed. They've had almost 10 years to build up it's awesomeness in their minds, and it couldn't please all those ideas.

Continue the G1 story, please. Even base it on Transtech if you want. Just don't tell anyone. We can all be surprised toegther.

9. Covenant

Ebay:
    Tword.

10. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I love the Transtech designs myself, but I'm not getting my hopes up for a revival of it as a TF series, for a few reasons:

1) The designs have been out there online for the whole fan base to see for some time. There'd be nothing new to bring to the table, unless Hasbro went and redesigned them yet again. Plus, we already know it would have been a G1/BW/BM follow-up, so there's nothing new there with the basic premise, either - and since that continuity would probably skew toward the older fans, Hasbro could just as easily set IDW to producing a comic book to pursue any possible storyline there, if either of them really wanted to. Personally, from a creative standpoint, I can see why Hasbro would not want to revisit the line, in terms of both design AND continuity - b'sides, it's left enough of an impression with homage, conscious or unintentional, in various subsequent lines that DID get made (some of the Armada and Movie figures, etc.).

2) Too many fans have ranted about it and still rant any time Hasbro tries to dramatically shake up the visual aesthetic of Transformers. Seriously, any time the TFs have been radically redesigned - whether it's CGI animal modes, stylized cell animation, or piles of scrap metal with chicken legs or wheels instead of feet designed to chase Shia LeBeouf - you get virtually nothing but months of knee-jerk reactions and blogs about how horrendous they look, raped childhoods, "RIP Transformers" and all that, and it's just getting tiresome. Especially since it's pretty clear now thanks to sales of Movie stuff that such a drastic design departure is not really hurting Hasbro as much as some of the old-schoolers would like, which would just egg them on even more.

3) I'm beginning to even think it's no longer necessary to go back to Transtech, because the Movies have, IMO and for better or worse, already taken TFs to a level that even Mainframe or whatever they're called now could never really achieve in a half-hour of television, if not dramatically then definitely visually - we've seen them in live-action environments interacting with flesh-and-blood characters. The TFs have, at $700 million in ticket sales from ROTF alone, effectively conquered the next big frontier for the franchise; it may not be the higher-brow conquest the old-schoolers would have liked, but what's done is done.

So I say let Hasbro and whoever handles the next show come up with a direction of their own to go in. If it's an entertaining show written by people who know what they're doing, and is made visible to the public (preferably NOT on CN), I suspect the audience and potential toy buyers will be there, no matter what form Optimus Prime and Megatron may take next.

11. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's too bad we we're never given even an iota of info on it's plot because now all you have is the TFCC comics and fanfiction to go on. I've been writing my own posting it here for a while. It's heavily influenced by the TFCC comics but shifts the focus to who the story should have been about in the first place. The Primax Maximals and Predacons. Mine is a slight reboot of BM. Hard to explain. You'd have to read it to understand what I mean.

12. Covenant

Ebay:
    I don't see how the movieverse could be considered a topper to any TF venture. RiD hardly trumped BW visually, but it came anyway and did its part, then was followed by several other series. Animated had a great but short following even though the movie was out & the second one on the way. A television-brand cg TF story given half hour segments with plot, characterization, action but not just action, and great dialogue, along with new designs should certainly be stand-alone enough. Its a different target audience. For all the G1 nods and drama of Beast Wars, kids still loved it too.

A note on this, first without direct regard to Transtech; Given we've had the designs for G1 & G2, which carried into series like RiD and had their affect on A/E/C, Beast Wars & Machines with their animals, vehicles and at times techno-organic-ness, Animated with its very cartoony aesthetics and now the drastically bitastic Bayformers designs....what else is there that could possibly shake things up? I'm not implying there's not a way, but now I'm curious as to how. And if anything, the fact Hasbro has, in the last three or four years, created such varied lines simultaneously (Universe, Animated, Movie) with great success says to me just because there's fans out there that don't care for this or that, and because they post such feelings on the web, doesn't really have an impact on what Hasbro will do. They've been in so many directions aesthetically of late, I don't think anyone's knee-jerk reaction need be taken into consideration. People are polarized, and at times it totally sucks, but whatever. No need to make other fans, kids, collector's who would enjoy such things suffer/be deprived just because of that.

And now in relation to Transtech; With so many styles, and corners of the fandom so stuck in any of them, the rest of us all shades of gray between all the continuities, perhaps Transtech would work wonderfully at this time. We just got through Animated, the Movieverse has made its second mark, all you'd need is a valid continuation of the saga set at some point after Beast Machines that allows for another war and these robot bodies associated with former Techno-organic beings. There's literally tons of ways to achieve that. Beyond such, you'd have to worry about designs. The general aesthetic we know of regarding Transtech is still viable, and given only two characters even got to prototype (Cheets & Screamers), the rest are mere drawings that can be redone, altered slightly, dropped all together in favor of other characters, etc. What we have seen of Transtech isn't exactly G1, nor Animated in whole, and not Bayformers all together.Scavenger's design made it to, I believe it was, RiD...or maybe it was Armada? Someone will have to help me there. It's clear Prime's design made it to Animated well enough to count. Cheetor's design has elements you can find in Animated Blurr, and arguably Movie Sideswipe, but hardly exact matches enough to can his prototype, and if so, so what? Tweaks would be tight. And obviously Megatron's design became the Longarm/Shockwave route of Animated. But we're talking about a 'new' series. One where, while it didn't take off, designs once to be used have been changed slightly, produced and sold with success in other lines. One where a majority of the preliminary work on it never went past the drawing board and could be made to fit a brand new series. A whole toyline to go with it. And if designs conceptualized earlier have been incorporated to date, new designs would be expected and something none of us had seen before. Those facts in and of themselves would seem to cover a lot of your issue# 1 as well, imo.

I really think it could work. Sure, it'll never happen, but I do believe it could totally work.

And I totally agree with this too. I'd prefer an eventual resurrection of Transtech, but as long as your presented criteria are met, I'd likely be happy.