TransTech: G.I. Joe Resolute-style

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by strscrm, Apr 25, 2009.

?

Should there be a mature-themed TF show like G.I. Joe Resolute?

1. YES

42.6%
  2. YES, I NEED TransTech!!!!!

35.2%
  3. NO

20.4%
  4. I like kiddy shows!

1.9%
  1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

If G.I. Joe Resolute is successful enough, a new animated show in which characters are actually killed with blood, Hasbro will likely follow it up with a Transformers show with a more mature theme. If they do, then I hope it will be TransTech, a concept in which Hasbro passed up years ago because it 'evolved' the Transformers brand a bit too much for their liking. Since an online show like this, roughly 60 minutes long in total, is relatively low risk financial, it would be great for Hasbro to test the waters with the TransTech concept and if successful, take full on.

TransTech: TFArchive - Transformers Fandom - TransTech Designs

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I voted "yes".
    However, I must also say that IMO, we aleady have a Resolute natured Transtech type of Transformers- the first came out in 2007 and the sequel is coming in around 60 days.

Again, IMO, I'd like to see an animated Dreamwave take on G1. Man, I remember seeing a human ripped in half. Who wouldn't want that?:D 

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Ah, transtech. The show that never was, but fans can't let die.

No.

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be particularly against it, some of those designs were cool, and realistically, they'd probably appeal to the crowd that appreciates the live action movie TF stuff more than any of the rest of it, but I know it's far fetched. They'll probably never do any "adult" cartoon, and even if they did, it probably wouldn't be about an idea nearing 10 years of age now.

5. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I would watch it if it looked good and had a good storyline.

6. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    No thanks, the ugly Transtech designs do nothing for me. There's a reason that these designs never saw production in either toy or animation form.

7. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I'd rather Hasbro just stay focused on making another TF series that can appeal to a wide age range, younger AND older.

What I WOULD like different is something that's not just the usual "A Boy/Girl And His/Her Giant Robots With G1 Homages Up The Yazoo" formula of the recent series, or at least something that has the bare minimum of trademarked elements required for a TF series (Optimus Prime, Megatron, Autobots, Decepticons, etc.) but with new (at least for the brand) twists on old concepts. I'd probably stay away from any 'pre-made' series concept that would seem to exist as a series for the sheer fannishness of it, if you know what I mean, like Classics/Universe or War Within or Transtech or IDW or anything along those lines, though I like ALL those re-design palettes equally - and start over completely re-interpreting, dramatically AND visually, the Transformers mythos as if it had never existed until now; since there's already been War Within toys in Titanium, and Classics and Transtech have been part of the TFCC comic, Hasbro approving full-on animated series for them at this point seems highly unlikely to me. I'd just say no more sly winks at the original G1 mythology, no more Easter-egg cameos or walk-ons, no more in-jokes that only TF fans will get, no more voice casting depending on how much an actor can emulate the original G1 performer, no more cheesy covers of the old 1980s Transformers theme song...just get very good and capable animation writers and artists, give the writers the original Tech-Spec bios of the TFs for characterization, give the artists each character's typical head design for reference and the simplest, roughest, most basic description of that character's alt-mode (ex: "Optimus Prime turns into a big red truck), and go from there.

And, preferably, get a really good CGI studio to animate it.

8. Andy_Turnbull

Andy_Turnbull Active Member

Ebay:
    I'd certainly welcome it. Hell give Warren Ellis the Transtech designs and let him go mental! Play up the alien element in the Transformers a bit more than is the norm.

Andy

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, it's called RID and the Unicrap trilogy.

10. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

Who is Warren Ellis?

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I chose no solely for this reason.

The realism.

G.I. Joe Resolute is relying on using a more realistic tone this time around, (barring any Matrix-Style moments). And from what I've seen and heard of Transtech, that would not work out at all for this. It would end up being just another Sci-Fi show.

Now if they were to use the Classics/Universe designs and characters, that would go over a more smoothly, just for the fact they are based on realism.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

No matter what it was I'd give it a fair shot, but I never really liked the Trans Tech look so that might dull my excitement for it a bit.

13. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Yeah, as far as "look" goes, I'd rather go with Dreamwave. I like their look the best.

14. strscrm

G.I. Joe was always based upon a top-secret UN anti-terrorism strike force defended the world from terrorists. Then that small strike force grew to an immense army of soldiers that aren't quite soldiers, snakes became involved, and a show about war had no death what-so-ever, well except for Cobra robots, poor bastards.

Transformers was always based on the unbelievable. Giant robots come to Earth that change into Earth vehicles and befriend small children. G.I. Joe was supposed to be based upon reality, Transformers was not.

Whether Transtech is done or not, I would love to see a story penned by Ian Weir, he did 'Code of Hero' during the Beast Wars, best TF episode ever.

15. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:

Of course, I do realize that all sense of reality does go out the window with giant alien transforming robots. However, I'm talking about design aesthetic and concept.

For instance, yes G.I. Joe is based on anti-terrorist units and so forth with a touch of the extraordinary, which works for the Resolute incarnation of the Joes. But would not work on, say, the Sigma-6 version of the Joes, which would be a completely different take.

This could be definitely be applied to Transformers aswell. While the Resolute style would work on one concept, it probably wouldn't work on another.

16. Andy_Turnbull

Andy_Turnbull Active Member

Ebay:
    He is a comics writer and the man who wrote the script to G.I. Joe Resolute.

Andy

17. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I always thought the Transtech designs were interesting. But, at this point it would be a step backwards for Transformers. So I say no.

The only way for Transformers to really go forward is to redo G1. Not the same way, but to reinvent it in a clever way, as Animated was. The big point is to let it go past the relm of established story points. Go beyond Dinobots, Masters, Mini-cons, Beast Wars, etc... into new territory.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd personally prefer to see a G1 style series, using the Classics / Universe designs. But not as dark or violent as GI Joe Resolute - show the characters getting shot and bits blown off, by all means, but not blood or anything.

If it were done in the webisode format, it could work easily enough - The first one establishes Megatron's plan, with the ones that follow taking the perspectives of different Autobots fighting different groups of Decepticons to learn what Megatron is planning / destroy his supply lines.

Something essentially very G1, but knocked up to modern sensibilities. No gimmicks, just heroic Autobots fighting evil Decepticons, with the fate of Planet Earth hanging in the balance.
    In other words, the concept that lies at the heart of GI Joe resolute, applied to Transformers Generation 1. I personally would like to see this far more than Transtech.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

To add to what's been said...

I say YES, though I have no particular investment in Transtech. I never found the aesthetic suited Transformers for me, and admittedly the movies are already working a similar style.

WAR WITHIN would be cool, but I'd also love to see a sharp INFILTRATION-style story involving a secret war being carried out on Earth. Probably hard to do in a 60 minute format though...

I don't need extreme violence. Just smart stories, subtle, interesting character development, and a strong flavour of realism. I don't think we should be afraid of violence if it suits the plot, but it really isn't nearly as important as good writing.

For the record, I didn't find the violence in GIJOE Resolute to be excessive or inappropriate to the material in the slightest... the problems with GIJOE Resolute are firmly tied to the writing.

zmog

20. strscrm

Post-Rebirth

Should a new webisode series take us back to the American end of Generation One and return it to its former glory? Galvatron versus Optimus Prime with the original voice actors. Kill Galvatron and resurrect him as Megatron, Megs vs. OP renewed.