Transporting Figs Overseas?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Metal Chaos, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    So recently I was offered a job overseas, in the UK to be precise, I'm very tempted to take the job as it pays £30,000 a year, 40 vacation days a year with 20 of them being paid, the company pays for my apartment and they pay for me to be flown out there. I'll be traveling all over the UK and Europe for this job which is cool cuz I'll get to experience other cultures and meet new people. The 20 days paid vacation part is awesome because I can go to botcon and get paid at the same time :p .

So my question is what's the best way to get my figures overseas without them getting lost or damaged?

2. Transfan65

Transfan65 Well-Known Member

um. bring a lot of suitcases?

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    how many figures are you talking about here? And how are you getting your other stuff there?

If you're moving a fair amount of stuff I'd say rent a shipping container and ship everything in one shot. You could pack your collection in their original boxes if you have them still, or with bubble wrap and some smaller boxes...

4. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Might do that, I have a bed, a computer and a desk i wanna take with me. Just hope it isn't that expensive to do.

5. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    isnt this thread supposed to be about discussing TOYS?

6. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    This is about toys, my TF toys being transported overseas. I don't want them damaged or lost and Im sure someone here has probably moved their collection overseas before.

7. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I think he was referring to the topic title. Figs are typically fruit...

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've been wondering the same thing because I'd like to move to America sometime. I wonder how nosey customs would be. I don't want them messing with my MISB stuff, or taking my Megatrons because they have gun alt modes.
    Wonder how they feel about DVDs too, 'cos I have a lot of them.

9. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    So is the job a permanent one or temporary? How long do you plan on spending in the UK? IF you plan on eventually coming back to the US, you might want to look into renting a storage space and sticking your stuff there. True you won't have it with you, but then you at least know it is safe upon your return. Don't know if you know this but Britain uses 220 voltage vs. 110 here in the states. You might want to look at selling your computer and getting one there (unless it can handle dual voltage). I've heard that the travel voltage adaptors aren't really great for electronic items constantly plugged in (like tv, computers, microwaves, etc).

10. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    gonna be for about a year or 2 and could possibly last longer. I'll get a new PSU for my PC, the guy giving me the job has already said it'd be paid for so I don't have to buy it myself.

11. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what i probably would do is since it will only be for a year or 2 or more, but until you know for sure. i would take a handle with you that you enjoy the most of, and bubble wrap the rest and put them in boxes or bins and store them with someone you trust in the US or storage. im sure you will accumulate more as well while overseas, this way it is also less to move around and have to worry about while traveling, but its up to you.

i would do all the phone calling as much of a pain it might be and info. researching about bringing all that overseas, like is customs going to go through all of it, how much will it cost and all that so you have all your bases covered and dont have to worry about anything when its all said and done.

12. Nemesis_Prime22

Nemesis_Prime22 Dark Emperor

This. The other day I asked for a link to something and he told me to stop being lazy and use the search feature and not just have things handed to me... All I asked for was a link. =/

But what I would do is I would see if I could find maybe some small(Or regular, for Supremes and maybe leaders) for my figures, and put packing peanuts in them...

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I agree with Deceptigar; if you have a large collection it's probably better (and definitely easier. And DEFINITELY a LOT cheaper) to just bring the ones you would want to fiddle with the most with you. If things change and the job looks like being longer term, then you can send the rest of them. Either way, remember that UK customs love bending people over on charges.

14. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Hmmm I'm wanting to take them with me, I could package them up nice and neat and declare them as deceased estate and the customs will usually let them pass, at least that's how it is with Australia. I just don't wanna abandon them here with my mom, she'll throw them out, my brother would break them and my dad would try to pawn them off for hooker cash, dead serious, so I really wanna take them with me. I don't want custom to sit there and open and break all my figures and then send em to me saying "oops sorry, we though they was guns" or something like that. I guess I'll worry about it when the time comes, thanks for all the help you guys.

15. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Personally I'd be more worried if somebody stole them or lost them in transit. At least if you put them into a good storage site you'd know they'd be safe. Anyways, good luck in what ever you decide to do with them.

16. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    That's something that bothers me too, I might leave the ones I'm trying to sale here or have those shipped to me but the rest I'm gonna try to package up nicely and take them on the plane with me, I could probably put them all in a big suit case filled with packing peanuts and what not and put handle with care on the suit case. I'd just be scared of them losing my luggage.