Customs: transparent paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by grunge, May 16, 2012.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    I was looking at the enamel paints on testors.com and some of them said transparent. does this mean I could use them on clear plastic and the plastic would stay clear?

2. kneero

kneero Well-Known Member

Yes, but it would take the tint of the paint. I asked a question similar to this last week, wondering about painting colored clear plastic i.e. windows and such with clear paint. I was told the color would alter some, but take on the characteristics of both pieces. I figure the best bet would be to paint a darker shade onto a lighter shade.

3. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    so if were to use transparent green on clear blue plastic such as light piped eyes they wouldn't turn out green but more or less blean?

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Transparent paint will take on the properties of the paint underneath as well as the actual color of the paint.

5. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    So Prid Arcees light piping which is clear blue plastic would result in adding blue to whatever color i painted it (transparent paint wise)?

6. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Yes, if you tried to paint clear red over the clear blue eyes, it would wind up a darker shade (but still clear). The two colors would essentially combine.

My suggestion is to test it on a piece of clear plastic (maybe a CD jewel case), so you'll know what we're talking about.

I will give a cool tip on using clear paints........if you don't care about light-piping (or the figure only had painted eyes to begin with), you can paint the eyes (or other parts) silver. Let that dry good, then paint say a clear blue over it (thin coat). It should allow the silver to still shine through the clear blue, giving the effects of glowing optics.

7. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Let's see if I get this. If I want to paint a transparent window into a translucent red I just need some transparent red paint?

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Yes, if the window is clear, you can paint a clear red over it to achieve a clear red window.

9. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    they eye trick sounds cool I may just try it!

the issue is my radicon tbh, grasshopper. he has blue light piping and I paint his eyes green solid green not clear then I saw I could get translucent green. so .... yeah. ill just have to play with it and see what happens. is translucent paint as thick as regular?