Customs: Transparent paint prep

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Deceptichage, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Does anyone know of a good way to prep the windshield for an alt? I found some Testors transparent blus spray paint I want to try out on Alt Prime for a Magnus bash. I tested it on an Alt Sunstreaker I had lying around and it gives a ripple effect. Thanks in advance for the input!

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    wash it the area to be painted to get all the mold release chemicals off it.

I dont think it's possible to prime transparent plastic. you may just want to dye it.

3. TFmaster

TFmaster Lord of the Scalple

This is simple. You are coating it too thick.

Transperants should be painted on in several thin layers. If it's a sprey you'll get better results.

In any case, slow down. If you don't cover the entire area in one or two go's it's ok. If you rush it'll pull off with the paintbrush you use or collect more in one area then another.

Paint it. If there are some thin spots leave it!!!

Once it's compleately dry add another layer and if it has some spots...Leave them!!

You'll notice the more layers you add the more coverage you will get over time. Clear paints aren't like other paints what-so-ever and takes lots of patience to get it right. Also dip then dry wipe (Once) your brush for each coat you add is painting with a brush.

It's simpler with Spreys because you can speckle the surface lightly from a distance with the paint, blow, and then speckly lightly another layer till it dries and is covered compleately.

In any case it'll take alot of thin layers and a good amount of time to get it perfect.

Or like suggested just dye it in one swoop. It'll cover it evenly and it'll look like it's made that way where painting it in any way, hand or prey, will just thicken the surface and rub on moving parts.

Look in the tutorials section on our main site www.tfmaster.com (Transtopia) for dying tips and you should be fine if you did it correctly. Oh, and dying plastic takes much longer if you don't add just a little acitone, or a good low grade version of it in the form of nail pollish remover and when heated and you drop your part it it should only take about one min for the desired affect.

Of course this means you will have to paint the surface around it so after you dye it the color you want make sure to rub and wash it compleately with soap and water a few times so that any acitone chemicals on the surface are compleately gone because if not the dye will bleed right into the paint and be a color you really don't want it.

Go to Transtopia. Look in or articals section and Help forum for any answers you need. Someone will be able to provide you with the answer or help you need. (But for the love of God check the Tutorials section on the main page before you start asking a paint question we'll have heard for the millionth time.)

Good luck and I hope that helps.

4. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    I was thinking about dying the first time, but the front windshield is attached by pins to the rest of the surrounding frame. I know it is a pain in the ass to remove so I decided to just paint it. The rear is removable and I'll try experimenting with dye to get the color I need. Thanks again for all the input!