transmetals; why were some characters not affected?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Psychrome86, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

we know how the story goes; optimus and a moon are blown up in space. a quantum surge from the explosion envelops the earth and mutates some of the transformers. they now have new transmetal bodies.

i remember a few good theories storywise as to why only some of the characters on beast wars were affected by the quantum surge and how new characters were transmetal.

"black arachnia, waspinator, rhinox, dinobot were in the cr chambers/tanks"

"tigatron, airazor, inferno were created from statis pods and had an immunity to the surge."

"rampage, optimus primal had mutated stasis pods"

has anyone thought about why we have a transmetal rhinox toy but not on the show? transmetal airazor and terrorsaur, and waspinator follow rhinox in line. think about this: how much more would it have cost to create new character models? the show might have been cooler with all the characters sticking around and becoming transmetal, though the show might have become boring if it was all transmetal.

they probably couldn't afford to have that many different characters either. keep in mind terrorsaur and scorponok, and eventually tigatron, airazor, and dinobot were replaced by quickstrike, silverbolt, and rampage. another thing is that the show might have become boring if it was all transmetal guys. the mixing of old modes and new modes brought some comedy and ways to create a story (rhinox having to practically be lugged around all the time). what other theories are there to explain this problem?

2. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

For at least Megatron and Rattrap, their heads didn't need to be altered too much, so that may have helped matters. Of course, the leaders would have had to have gotten new bodies on the show no matter what.

If I had to guess why certain characters were passed up I'd say that...

Scorponok: No Transmetal toy, plus Quickstrike had a similar beast mode.

Rhinox: Usually sitting around the base anyway, plus his guns were fine as is.

Waspinator: Maybe getting destroyed all of the time wasn't the best way to show the strength of the new Transmetals.

Terrorsaur: Beats me.

Dinobot: Eventually was replaced with his TMII clone.

Tigatron: Written out, plus he didn't have a widely available TM form anyways.

Blackarachnia: Eventually got her Transemetal II form, but maybe Hasbro had reservations about making more female characters before then.

Airrazor: Written out also, but the toys were still available in stores around season 2, I think.

Inferno: May or may not have been Scavenger, but I think his toy was still readlily available so he was kept as is to sell more of 'em.

3. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bottom line...new character models cost mucho money. It was cheaper to keep some characters in original form through plot points (CR chambers, Stasis pod excuses).

In addition, it allowed for some character development, like Blackarachnia going after the transmetal driver or Dinobot II being "half" a character until the end.

I, for one, appreciated the texture that the multiple design aesthetics gave the series.

4. FortMax

FortMax Not Metroplex or Mudflap

TM Scavenger was ment to be released as Inferno, but since Inferno shipped alone in a case, he ended up warming shelves. Hasbro figured calling the TM toy "Inferno" would hamper sales to retailers, so they renamed the figure, which also warmed shelves.

Takara kept the name "Inferno" for the BWM release, though.

5. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

It was cool that they had TM toys of almost everyone, even if they didn't use them in the series. I agree that keeping some characters in their original season 1 modes added a certain texture and various storytelling potential.

6. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    Rampage appeared after the surge, and appeared as a transmetal. some of the other characters were offline so the wave did not effect them. and others... died (scorponok, and terrorsaur)

7. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I think terrorsaur was just written out as well, but others have mentioned it did look like he was going transmetal before he fell into the lava or whatever the liquid was.

With Tigatron I wish they would've made him a repaint of Cheetor again instead the Botcon repaint of ravage.

Funnily enough when Beast Wars Transmetals came out on nintento 64 they had a unlockable Tigatron that was just that, but they also had an alternate scheme for Cheetor that I think looked the most like what Tigatron should've looked like. The unlockable character was mostly silver ans white where the second Cheetor used the same colors Tigatron had like TM cheetor used his original colors in different areas.

8. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

At least we still got the cool Transmetal Terrorsaur toy though. I wonder how a TM Scorponok would have looked.

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

tm scorponok would have been sweet

10. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

i remember years ago seeing drawings/sketches for a transmetal scorponok. it was probably from a botcon art panel because i don't think i've ever heard of hasbro randomly showing concept art like that. scorponok and terrorsaur would have been transmetal if they had not fallen in the lava... i don't recall hearing them screaming in those first few moments. if they did it was probably grabbed from the first season. i always hoped for an episode in which terrorsaur and scorponok rise from the lava after being in some underground cavern half eaten away by magma.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

I think it does have to do with some of the TFs being formed from stasis pods.

Airazor, Tigatron, Inferno and Blackarachnia were not affected because they were formed in stasis pods. Keep in mind that Blackarachnia was not in a CR chamber like in the first post but she was in the Maximal base to help get the Pod flying. Inferno was also in the base as he got his head blown off by BA. Tarantulas, and Inferno were in stasis lock in the base yet only Tarantulas was effected. The only explanation I see for this is that he wasn't formed in a stasis pod.

Rhinox, Dinobot and Waspinator were in CR Chambers/tanks. Terrorsaur and Scorponok fell in lava and died but were glowing.

I think it's a safe bet to say that all stasis pods that dropped because of the quantam surge were transmetalized. Optimus Primal's, Rampage's and Transmutate were. I think I'd even consider Fuzors to be transmetalized because at the end of Other Visits part 1 the Metalhunter sends out an energy wave that hits all the TFs. At the beginning of Other Visits part 2, Rhinox, Dinobot, Blackarachnia, Inferno and Waspinator are out cold. Quickstrike proceeds to enter the Metalhunter with Megatron and Tarantulas. Silverbolt helps Cheetor bring Rhinox and Dinobot back to the base. Their transmetalized bodies protected them.

12. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

For what it's worth, the upcoming Beast Wars comic seems to complicate things even further by having the remaining stasis pod bots being normal animals, Transmetal I & II's, and Fuzors.

And Scaveger who will probably not be a reanimated Inferno.

13. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Ever since getting Armada Rhinox, I've kinda wished he had gone TM in the show. The mold itself is bad ass, and it would have been ultra bad ass on the show. Half rhino, half tank, can't go wrong with that.

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Black Arachnia is easily answered - there was no Transmetal toy. As it was she was a repaint of Tarantulas. Since they already had TM Tarantulas, Hasbro probably chose not muddy up the TM's with another arachnid. This is also the likely reason Tigatron wasn't TM'd. Had he survived, I suspect we would have seen him in a Cheetor repaint.

Otherwise I can only guess why some characters were given TM toys and not others.
    I do expect that they had some advanced planning going on, so omitted characters - Dinobot, BA- would be covered later in the line. We know Inferno was SUPPOSED to be TM'd, but wasn't due to poor toy sales. Thus as of the end of Season 1, only Scorponok was completely left out of the TM loop so far as the toys were concerned. Perhaps his character/toy wasn't popular enough?

Now to the show. In terms of production, why'd they choose to TM the ones they chose? We already know they were limited by the cost of new models, and cost of actors likely forced them to limit the cast. They were probably forced to include some specific toys - notably any redecos of Prime and Megatron. Since Cheetor was the show's most prominant "non-leader" character, his upgrades were also a given. I'd say Rampage and Depth Charge, as expensive figures, were also mandated by Hasbro, along with some representatives of the Fuzors. So now the cast is getting crowded, and some characters had to go. With no plans for future Scorponoks, and the "loyal stooge" role filled by Inferno, he was safe to write off.

The rest comes down to who would fill in the budgeted slots. Plans were afoot for a TM2 Dinobot, so he couldn't be -permanantly- bumped off, but he also didn't require a new model (yet). Same with BA. Cheetor, Prime, Megatron were all secure on the show, and as I said their new models were likely mandated. So that left 5 regular characters from the first season. Money would let them keep 4, and make new models for only 2. No way would they kill off heroes as casually as they bumped off Scorponok, so Rattrap and Rhinox were safe. Waspinator served a unique role (lackey and comic relief), while Tarantulas and Terrorsaur were vying for the underhanded traitor niche. Given a choice, I think most fans would choose to keep Tarantulas, so Terrorsaur was given the boot, despite his new TM mold.

That still leaves the question of who should have been given the new TM bodies. So far, only one Pred (Megatron) was slotted for an upgrade, so at least one had to go to a Pred. Why Tarantulas? Cooler character, cooler toy, I suppose. And having Waspinator overlooked sort of fits his tragicomic nature.

The final slot was between Rattrap and Rhinox. I think the Rattrap toy was cooler, and his vehicle mode was more versatile, and Rhinox tended to be a homebody, so Rhinox got the short end.

Now, that brings up how was this incorporated into continuity. Dinobot, Rhinox and Waspinator were supposedly healing in their chambers, which shielded them. This also applied to the Fuzors and Rampage, who technically were never TM'd (whatever their toy package may say). Depth Charge wasn't on planet, so he's exempt too.

As for the rest, it is true that those who started out the show as protoforms didn't TM, but that may be coincidence (again, we know the real reason lies outside continuity concerns), and there exists no explanation for the correlation.

Looking at it again, it seems to me Airrazor and Tigatron were seated behind consoles, which could have blocked some of the rays (which pehaps needed to hit a specific threshhold in order to have an effect). Rattrap and Cheetor were just standing in the middle of the room. Same was true of Megatron, Scorponok and Terrasaur (who were TMing before their deaths). The bodies of Inferno and Tarantulas were in the same location, but Inferno was partly disassembled and deactivated, so that MAY explain why he wasn't affected. This leaves us with BA, who may also have had some extra shielding protecting her, or perhaps Tarantulas' manipulations kept her body from responding to the radiation.

In the end I'm comfortable chalking it all up to sloppy writing.

15. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

Depth Charge may have been off planet, but we clearly see him go TM just before he comes to Earth. He calls it "some kind of anomoly", but he glows just as every other TM did. I don't have season 2, but I was pretty sure Rampage was called TM in the show as well.

I do agree about Tigatron and Airrazor being shielded by the consoles.

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

In the scene, it's his computer that registers the anomoly, and clarifies it as a "temporal anomoly vortex," which I always figured was the portal to the past, or the last remnants of Megatron's attempt to screw up the time stream. However, DC IS seen to glow in the same manner as the TMs, though without the visible TM radiation around him. So I don't think this clears anything up. More sloppy writing.

17. Octane

Octane Soul Crusher

Depth Charge gets hit with the temporal wave from the explosion. It must contain at least some of the particles that mutated the rest, but he was not reformatted with a previous beast mode to absorb the particles. So it is anyones guess.

Also along those lines of thought, The Predacons probably saved Cybertron from a Transmetal epidemic when they blew up the satellite that deflected the wave around Cybertron.

18. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

Toy wise TM forms, along with some Fuzor alts were designed for some key characters in the show, if I recall correctly, Optimus went Fuzor (eagle/ape{think griffon}), BA went TM, and so did Tigatron (and Im not talking Cheetor repaint) and Scorpinox. Only problem is, The pictures of these design were only seen @ a convention table so Pictures are few, far between, and questionable quality. If anyone has copys of these please share I lost mine through an unplaned memory wipe.

19. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

There is alot of the toy, and show design aspecs I never knew about.
    I would love to see some unused toy designs.

20. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Honestly I still wonder to this day why some characters were not given the Transmetal treatment. Characters like Dinobot, Blackarachia, Tigatron, and Airrazor I can understand as Dinobot goes out in glory, Tigatron and Airrzor set up Tigerhawk, and Blackarachnia for the TM2 thing but Waspinator and Rhinox not becoming Transmetals has always miffed me. Like both of them are there for the entire run of the show and have Transmetal versions of the toy, why they didn’t get TM bodies for the show for me just made no sense. I mean Waspy and Rhinox are 2 key characters, and the Transmetal toys are actually pretty good too, would have loved to have seen these guys become Transmetals in the show as well, like I said it just does not make sense. Who knows why or what the reason for it was, but that’s my opinion anyway.

On a side note I’m actually glad they didn’t turn Inferno into Scavenger.