Heavy/Scratch: Transmetal Optimus Primal to Apeface WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by destrongerlupus, Oct 23, 2008.

1. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I used TM Primal as a stand in for BeastBox for years, but Apeface is a great choice too!

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

One thought regarding the fists. There needs to be two sets in there, as each wrist contains a left and a right hand, one for beast mode and one for robot mode. If you replace one set of hands with guns, then you'd be leaving one mode or the other handless.
    I'd recommend figuring out a way to make it look like one set of hands has guns attached, so that can be used for the jet mode.

3. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I think converting Transmetal Optimus Primal into Apeface would be interesting to see, but I agree with Ramrider, but still you'll figure something out no matter how scattered it is.

4. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I considered Beast Box first, but the ape toy that turned into a game pad released last year seems more suitable for that character.

For the moment I'm going to enjoy the concept stage.

True Ramrider, the fists were a bit boggling, so maybe nice pistols could work instead.

Also thinking the jet wings could hinge on the backpack. When in robot or beast they could have a joint at the bottom so that they can swing up his back and folded tight against his back.

A hole could also be drilled into the backpack to hold his shield and another into the arms for robotmode. When the wings are swung back it could be used as a extra pin for them.

Not a big fan of his legs though.

But might sit down with a pencil tomorrow and have a go.

5. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that works great for him.

6. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Are you making him a triple changer?
    becuase you need to remember if your going to make him into a headmaster hes going to need a jet mode, because his ape head is on the other side of his head or somthing. Inother words he wouldnt be much of a headmaster because of the fact he needs his headmaster for both Bot n Beast modes the only time his head will actully detach would be jet mode.

7. dsn1014

I have a spare Primal but I have to go and get him, I'd prefer to see if I get a good buzz off his mold, been awhile since I had him on hand.

Yeah the head thing is an issue, but I've come to the conclusion that it'd be more manageable to have the Headmaster transform into just the robot head. I'd be quite happy to use the toys Gorilla head. I have to sit with my sketchbook yet and see if I can get a feel for how it will come together.

I've considered functions for the Nebulon, one for each mode so the lil'robot will have a use most of the time. Robot mode he's a head, vehicle he'd be rider/gunner, so with the beast mode I'd say they can be independant of each other (untrue to the original, but it's the best I can think of to avoid extra complications I haven't the skill personally for)

Also, yes, I believe there should be a vehicle mode. I have a couple of things cooking in the old noggin about where the wings should go, also thinking it may be easier to make it into more of a flying battle platform that the nebulon guns from. I can see the robot mode legs becoming the cockpit/nose. The Backpack would have the wings mounted on it, as would the shield.

My thoughts are still the same on this idea before, it's a bit of a fun excursion into a concept, still not sure if it's gonna becoming any more than that.

That said my thoughts have changed on the digi I did before, the colour scheme isn't working for me, looks like a sad panda. Though I'm far from deciding on colour schemes.

Thanks for looking and the suggestion Terrorcon.

8. Terrorcon_King

News Credits:
    very intersting design ideas, i like what your going to do with him. Nd Spacma place should belong atop of him in Jet/Platform mode.
    you could always make an extra cockpit atop of him, between the upper wings n Spacma could slide in there? like a secondary controls nd/or weapons? hopefully you understand what i mean lol

9. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Almost like the Silver Surfer. You know I think that could be cool and different, but thats up to you, dsn1014.

10. dsn1014

I totally agree with you guys that Spasma should go on top, you might spot a very sketchy pic of him on top in the b/w sketches. Just the trying to keep him secure on top will require some thought.

also the hinges for the wings will need to be looked at, as I'm afraid now they won't work due to the scaffold that holds the backpack. though there are two useful holes on his back as a last resort, I don't want to settle on a partsformer just yet.

11. dsn1014

I wanna credit DJCHARTERS the idea

http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-cust...&searchid=9532

The idea is to make Transmetal Optimus Primal into Apeface. He will have a vehicle mode with some luck too. But what I've seen from others here makes it obvious that I'm not the first person here doing a Headmaster. I can guarantee I won't be the first done. Would those that have done Headmasters before be able to offer some tips from experience as there's very little available on trying it, or even anyone at all would be equally appreciated if there's someway I can do better.

I've worked on the concept for a couple of days now and have begun my first mock-up. It's proving hard to find sheets of plasticard locally, ya know support your local economy and all, but seems I'll have to look on the net for it. (my excuse for this being a slow burner.) So for the minute I'm working with cardboard in finding how things are fitting.

So today I'm uploading my templates at the start of my making mock-ups.

The templates today are for the still basic robot torso, though I'm very happy to have it as its something to work from now with correctish measurements. It still needs alot of work.

Also find the leg templates, one for the shin and one for the side of each lower leg, creating a cockpit of sorts, I'm pretty happy with it. Forgive the pictures as I just threw them all together from my sheets to see if they fit.

Both torso and legs augments are chunky and robotic, these are robot mode aspects I want to mix in with the toy so as not to have him too beasty. Removing the original robo-torso would remove most organic molding, even the Beast mode is more robotic.

I will do the backpack next, I'll have to remove it and make a new one, I have the essentials figured out, just need to figure out the joints for the wings. So in a couple of days I'll have the template up for that as well.

I want to get it all down on paper first before cutting toys up. Also all attempts I've made at bashing so far have been poor, so I'm not expecting to raise any bar.

I'll keep uploading templates as they develop. With the basic measurements I have now I can build detail on top.

Attached Files:

12. Terrorcon_King

News Credits:
    You know if this works i just might have 2 pay you to doo me one as well :D 
    the headmasters were AWSOME! i came into having one but hes was missing his head:(  it was Mindwipe

Well hopefully i helped you out a bit with my last idea, Good luck! n nice sketches :D 

13. dsn1014

does anyone have any suggestions as regard how to create the hinge the wings rotate out from? I've a bad doodle put up of how I think it could work.

14. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    not being negative or anything, and im sorry if it comes across that way (because i have ZERO skill when it comes to kit-bashing!), but why dont you use optimal optimus instead? he already has a sort-of-jet mode built in?

15. dsn1014

all good man, I'm not worth dirt at bashing myself, just having a go at it

Optimal Optimus makes perfect sense, but I'm not a fan of the mold, I think the original TM Primal is a nice size and fun.

16. Terrorcon_King

News Credits:
    Ahh Soo it starts :) 
    well hes starting of pretty good so far!
    As for what you nd sunnyswipe sayin about Optimal Optimus i think Optimal would be just a little too big in my books, But what you have going here will turn out great! threw your concept n rought sketches of him this is going to be on hell of a bash!

17. Cycrolus

Cycrolus Herald of Primus

Ebay:
    Hey I had these ideas a while back maybe they'll work for you?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also did snapdragon if anyone wants to see that?

18. JAF

JAF 1984

Cycrolus that's exactly what I was going to suggest (although I hadn't ever seen those). Those are great and optimal optimus has a built in jet mode already. I have this figure and have been thinking quite a bit lately how to turn it into Apeface. There's a ton of potential in it dsn1014. Good luck.

the sketches are great. It's fun to see your design process, thanks for showing those.

19. Terrorcon_King

News Credits:
    Id like too see tha Snapdragon ones! =D

20. dsn1014

wow Cycrolus, the digis look awesome, if I had a spare optimal op I might go with that, but as it stands I have 3 of the mega tm primals on hand, so I'll have to go with that for the moment. Work on this custom has stopped for the moment as I'm working through the holiday season, but as soon as the bar gets quiet again and I have time on my side I'll be back on it.

and thanks JAF, I doodle most of my ideas first to try get a feel for them, I like to share if it gived people any ideas for suggestions.