Minor/Repaint: Transmetal II Optimus Minor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by _Flashback_, Jul 10, 2011.

1. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Presented for your consideration is my first Beast Wars custom in ages, Transmetal II Optimus Minor.

This little guy swung around close to the tail end of the BW line, and the fandom was quick to fling lots of hate at him. He is not without his faults, but I've always been fond of this figure. I lost his tail almost as soon as I got him, so I made him a new one out of craft wire and glass beads to match his gaudy colors. I cut a scimitar out of styrene and painted it gold. I chose a scimitar to reflect the monkey's importance in Hindi culture (I'm pretty sure this is where his original arm-splitting gimmick comes from as well). I then decided that since I went to this much effort, I'd detail paint him.

The biggest mod is in the arms. Since the original arm-splitting gimmick was poorly executed, hampered the figure and served no purpose, I neutralized it by knocking out the rear two pins and gluing the arm halves together. This allows his robot arms to retain actual elbows.

Finally, I took him to the park for a photoshoot, as outdoors is the only way to photograph BW toys. Enough babbling, enjoy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, forgive my poor photography, but this pic was a must:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Network

Network Well-Known Member

Wow! it's amazing how far a little gold paint can go! he looks really good. I like the thought you put into his weapon, i love it when people think a little bit outside the box. i've never understood the hate on some people have for him, i think he's a cute little TF even though he is a monkey...(i have a bit of a fear of monkeys :S )

the only crit i would have to give would be the choice of pink beads, but that's just me. im also sad to see the split arms go, but it just makes sense. he looks much better with full arms.

3. _Flashback_

Ebay:
    Thank you sir. The beads do look pink in the pics thanks to my camera and the bright sun. In person they're more of a light wine red (to me at least).

4. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What a crazy little dude. It looks excellent!

5. Network

Network Well-Known Member

ahhh I figured that there might be a bit of skewing of colours. it's really funny how cameras still aren't perfect lol.

what kind of paint did you use for the gold? I have no skill with painting yet and this looks like a simple and effective mod that i might be able to duplicate :3

6. _Flashback_

Ebay:
    I used Testors Metallizer Bronze Enamel for the gold paint (its the same as their normal gold enamel in the small bottles IMO). I'll use the same paint to add metallic details to my movie figures should I ever get around to that.

7. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    great job!! Stop making me not want to sell my Beast Wars figures!!

8. _Flashback_

Ebay:
    Thanks! A long time ago I considered selling almost all of my BW figures. I'm glad I hung on to them. I don't have many, as I am not a huge fan of the line, (I used to be "truk not munky") but the ones I have I enjoy a lot.