Transmetal Driver, How does it work?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tyjos, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

-Note this post contains some spoilers possibly to those of you who haven't seen beast wars or these episodes yet.

Well just watched "Feral Scream" and then "Crossing the Rubicon" and noticed something.

Does a Transformer have to be "Dead" to be Reformatted into a Transmetal 2?

Here's the proof I think that supports that:

1 Transmetal Dinobot, was a Blank Protoform and Megatron gave it a half of Rampage's spark so the Protoform wasn't really alive till it got hit with that energy from the Driver.

2 Black Arachnia, she went off line due to Turantulas's shell programming safeguards and after everyone left the driver seemed to sense the "Dead" Black Arachnia in the lab and reformatted her.

3 Cheetor, he could have been pretty much Slagged in that Explosion from the Transmetal Driver Overload and brought back some way but he was still functional just trashed big time. Yet when he went full Transmetal 2 he "Shed" his original form with his armor flying off to reveal his TM 2 form. His Feral Beast mode of course was in control till optimus helped him out. So maybe the Residual Energy from the Overload helped reformat him when he suffered all that damage....but just not sure if his re-formatting was a accident.

Anyone else thinking that you can't be online to be formatted into a Transmetal 2?

And you got to wonder where Megatron found it!

2. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Um No...

3. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    *scratches head in confusion*

NO!

you are not taking into effect the predacons that be came transmetals ...they were not dead when they were reformatted...megatron, Tarantulas, etc....

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Damn dude,you're all about the negative comments today.

It's a very good theory you've come up with Tyjos,its been a while since I've seen those episodes though.

5. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Hasbro/Vok gave it to him to make new minions.

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    He's talking about Transmetal 2s.

And yeah, your theory makes sense.

7. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    i think the vok gave it to megatron. and ur theory makes a lot of sense. but was megatron dragon form considered tm2? if so there goes ur thoery, the driver was not involved. BUT! megatron may have been offline temperarrily in the lava (like scorponok and terrorsaur) which would further ur point.

8. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

the driver was probalby created by turantulas. megatron probably stole it. the device rearanges the victems molecular structure making him/her half organic and half mechanical but remaining seperate. the occurence of death before becoming a t metal 2 might have something to do with tm2s super natural nature.

or the driver is used To sell toys - Transformers Wiki

9. Tyjos

Megatron I consider wasn't a True TM 2...since he "Cheated" and got the Original Megatron's spark so he could gain more power since Optimal Optimus PWNED him so many times he decided to try it himself.

And yeah, since he was dunked in the lava that would have Knocked Him offline too and literally melted him but the original Megatron's Spark may have helped to keep him online.

Tigerhawk was a Vok creation, and I guess considered to be a "Fuzor" and not a real Transmetal 2 even though you could consider him a "Transmetal Fuzor"

Just the Transmetal Driver had me thinking about it's function and how it works.

Transmetals we know of course from "Aftermath" when the Quantum Surge from the destruction of the alien weapon hit them and mutated them. So Maybe the Transmetal Driver utilizes Quantum Surge Style Energy.

10. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It's alien! We don't have to explain it!:confused2 

Sorry, generic reaction to a lot of things lately...

Not a bad theory but flawed I think. The clone had only just come online when the driver was used on it, seeing how it claimed the half of Rampage's Spark. Cheetor, likewise, was never actually offline, slagged completely but an offline bot couldn't drag himself back to base, and if he had been offline and recovered it wouldn't make sense for him to still have his normal body, he'd have just transformed automatically like BlackArachnia did. Rather, I think the less active the Transformer is, the more quickly the changes take place, kinda like a program update, if it's the only program running it's going to go fast. Just being formatted or "dead" (Dinobot, BlackArachnia, Tigerhawk), near instant. Near-slagged (Cheetor, Megatron), delayed.

11. Tyjos

Well still I think the Explosion KO'd Cheetor and the residual energy rebooted him later.

And I just remembered from "Aftermath" that when Cheetor and Rattrap were struck by the Shockwave energy remember, both started glowing then fell backwards [at least Rattrap did] And the same goes for Megatron when he started glowing and said "What is happening to me??!!!!!" then sorta fell off the screen. So I'm guessing that the Surge overloaded their systems sends em Off-Line or into Stasis-Lock and during that time whatever energy they were exposed too upgrades them.

Course we know Primal was already KO'd when he went up with the pod and Rhinox used some machine to locate Primal's Spark and lead it back to a Blank in the Stasis Pod which ended up becoming Primal's New TM Body.

So makes me wonder about Transmetals in general if they have to be Off-Line,Dead, or in Staisis Lock to become Transmetals. Waspinator remember fell into the Repair Tank, so maybe that Energon there shielded him from the energy. Rhinox,Air Razor, and Tiger Tron I don't know why they weren't affected by the energy wave [Might be because Hasbro decided not to upgrade them] Even though Rhinox wasn't offline but in the CR Chamber.

Totally forgot about Turantulas who was already KO'd and was off-line when the surge hit and he was upgraded. Though Inferno was also off-line but didn't get a Transmetal Upgrade.

Depth Charge of course was probably affected by the anomoly when he crashed to earth in Season 3 and he was an automatic Transmetal. So He was probably KO'd when the crash or near stasis lock when the Maximal Skyhopper Ship he was in was sinking when the scanners started it's Emergency Transformation Sequence.

12. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Now you're just guessing. They just were upgraded. They didn't have to be dead/offline to do it.

Plain and Simple.

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If an gnome was in proximity to the Transmetal Driver while a Transformer thought of a prime number above 3449 while also in proximity to the Transmetal Driver then the Driver would activate and upgrade them. However gnomes are n-dimensional and 90 degrees out of phase with visible light so there is no way to detect them within any known frame of reference.

Or it was used for plot points, or to sell new toys.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  14. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Skorponok and Terrorsaur were obviously being turned into Transmetals, too. But then they died. And didn't come back. Shame, really. Great characters.

15. Tyjos

Terrorsaur was a cool character, and would have been a cool Transmetal if they let them survive.

Still though the Concept of "Transmetalizing" as some have said is just like a computer upgrade....so basically they have to be "Shut Down" And "Restarted" for the changes to take place.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I always thought it was kind of stupid that terrorsaur...one of the flying preadicons.. died falling into something. But then he was a poor man's starscream.

17. Tyjos

Yeah, I mean even if he collided with Scorpinok on the Hover platforms.....maybe they malfunctioned and they decided to kill him off that way..he should have jumped and transformed but he was in the process of being transmetalized so I'm sure that was messing up his systems.

18. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Makes sense, That's why not everyone upgraded to Transmetals 2 although it'd be logical to systematically kill each other then reformat them into a far superior form

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The thing with the Transmetals actually had an established "rule" in the series, though never stated:

- Any Transformer in a CR chamber at the time was not affected (Rhinox, Dinobot, Waspinator)
    - Any Transformer brought online on the planet pre-Quantum Surge was not affected (Airrazor, Tigatron, Inferno, Blackarachnia).
    - All Protoforms in stasis with the exception of Quickstrike and Silverbolt would become Transmetals on emergence, possibly due to residual Quantum energy (as was the case when Depth Charge arrived).

Now, for the Transmetal 2's you've pretty much covered it:

- Dinobot II was a blank, brought online using the Transmetal Driver.
    - Cheetor was badly injured in the explosion, AND he took a massive jolt of energy from the apparatus. The fact he was consciously fighting the change might have had something to do with why it took him so long to change.
    - Blackarachnia had been tinkering with the Transmetal Driver before her change, and it activated on her "death".

Tigerhawk and Megatron don't really count. Tigerhawk was Vok created, so he was more shaped by their powers. (Even though I am 95% sure the Transmetal Driver is leftover Vok tech Megatron obtained from the Metal Hunter in Other Visits). Anyhow, Tigerhawk's creation is basically shaped by the Vok's powers.
    Megatron simply went through the same process Primal did when he absorbed Optimus Prime's spark. Truthfully, Megatron shouldn't be a Transmetal 2 but whatever Optimal Optimus is, because of their shared origin. It just happens that Megatron was sold as a Transmetal 2.

In any event, two out of the three on-show TM2 characters were reformatted into Transmetal 2's when they were offline. Cheetor is the exception, but two things about him stick out:

1) He was caught in an accident involving the macguffin.
    2) He was fighting the change, which is probably why he had so much trouble in the transition. Odds are if he'd used a CR chamber, he'd have emerged in his Transmetal 2 form.

I think the Transmetal Driver's correct use would actually have been in conjunction with a specially prepared CR Chamber. Put the Transformer offline, apply the effects, reboot in the new configuration.

Although given the way Transmetalisation worked, maybe the CR Chamber would actually have made the transition harder, because they were proven to impede the Transmetal process. So perhaps Cheetor's refusal to use the CR Chamber was justified, because on an instinctive level he knew what would happen to him.

It's a pity we never saw more of the Transmetal 2 process on a conscious Transformer. We'll never know if what happened to Cheetor was because he was fighting the thing, because he was online when the Driver was activated against him, or because he was refusing the CR Chamber.

20. Tyjos

-Nods Approvingly of Sol Fury's explanation-

I also agree with that, cause I'm sure if you watch "Feral Scream" again you'll notice how Cheetor during that Dream Phase was freaking out when he went into the CR Chamber and came out looking like a freakish zombied bot.

And I Just remember Rattrap's line from that scene more than anything
    "Just want to see what makes ya tick" -Spins a Spark on his finger

Yeah I'm sure if they had used the Transmetal Driver more and figured out how to modify a CR Chamber to use it's energy we'd probably have seen Rhinox turn into a Transmetal 2.

But I'm sure the big guy wouldn't want to upgrade his form.....though we know Waspinator would. Funny how Waspinator got a Transmetal Figure.....and I'm not sure if Rhinox ever got a Transmetal Figure.

Still though The Transmetal Driver is just a very, very interesting piece of Beast Wars tech.