Customs: Translucent Windows: To Paint Or Not To Paint?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, a recent trend I've seen lately with customs is painting translucent windows. Now, on some customs I understand why, but personally I really enjoy translucent window parts. The nature of this thread is twofold:

1. Do you like painted translucent windows on customs better or do you enjoy translucent window parts?
    2. For those of you who do enjoy the windows painted, for what reason(s)?

2. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

I really like translucent windows on customs. They make the robot look alittle more "realistic". Like a real car.
    I like contrast in everything, from art to custom transformers(not that customs tfs aren't art)and I think clear windows help with the contrast.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I paint my translucent windows, but ONLY WITH CLEAR PAINTS. Hence, they're still clear, but just a different colour.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I usually paint them for 3 reasons. (1) whatever's usually behind them looks like garbage and squished up robot parts and (2) I prefer the color of the windows to better match the overalll palette of colors used on the alt mode (eg translucent blue windows would look bad on a red car) and finally (3) I think opaque/painted windows resemble a more "cartoon" or "comic book" look over transparent

5. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    *ponder*

Some molds, like Uni Ironhide, have a mix of painted n clear windows. In that case, since casting solid parts into translucent blue would be too much trouble for most, painting the clear windows would help tie everything together. Especially with the way I've mis-transformed the guy to give 'em some height. XP

Otherwise, I'm rather fond of the clear windows. They don't do much for hiding bot parts in alt mode, but I generally leave my TFs in bot mode anywho.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This.

7. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    I personally enjoy painting black on windows (clear or not) as it gives the alternate mode a really cool look. Especially when it's a sports car or something. Also, like FR mentioned. I dun really like the look of the head being squashed between the legs and arms. Apart from Alternity Prime (which has a proper interior), most of my other customs end up with painted windows.

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    It depends on the figure. If whatever is on the other side of the window looks fine, then I don't paint. I didn't paint over my Universe Ironhide, Starscream, and Acid Storm. But if the other side is hard to get to, then I paint it. I painted my deluxe, classics, and Cybertron Primes. But I agree with what Frenzyrumble said. I usually paint it. I think it makes the bot mode look better.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Depends on the figure, but I usually leave them clear or possibly paint over them with another translucent color.

I've seen some painted over windows that look good and others that look not so good (as in they should have been left clear). It just depends on the figure and the skill of the customizer.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I hate solid windows. I feel like "what's the point?" I love painting new translucent paints on them to make them match the figure I'm going for, but I won't use opaque. I have black clear, blue clear, red clear, and yellow clear. I can mix these to make any color I want, and if I have to lighten it up after mixing (common), then I'll add future floor finish to the mixture, which also makes it solid and durable to boot. I'd MUCH rather have a really dark window than a fully solid one. limo tint makes it where you can't see robot parts, yet it's still realistic!

11. mr_soundwave

mr_soundwave operation: tidalwave

I love translucent windows...the mustard yellow window blob on leozack botcon actually made me not like it so much...i feel like translucent just gives a more real feel, and looks rad when light breaks through

12. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

13. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

This.

I only paint the inside of the windows though, so they're still "glass"-looking.

edit: heh, didn't notice there was an other "This." post above me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009