Customs: Translucent Plastic Help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Pepsiman98, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

So I bought the TRON: Legacy Sam Flynn Lightcycle (the one that works with the core figures) and as much as I like the Lightcycle, I don't however, like the Sam Flynn core figure that you can buy to go with the lightcycle. Can't really place a finger on why, I just don't for some reason. Now the Clu and Rinzler core figures I do like, but they dont match the translucent blue plastic on the cycle. anyone know a good way to keep the translucency (is that even a word?) of the plastic while changing it to a color that matches the translucent plastic on either the Clu or Rinzler core figures?

Translucent Plastic examples found here:
    Clu: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SPM10065&mode=retail&picture=in
    Rinzler: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SPM10062&mode=retail&picture=in
    Lightcycle: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SPM10060&mode=retail&picture=in

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

here are some paints
    Tamiya America - Tamiya Color Acrylic Paint
    that might help. They arent' labeled trasnlucent, but "clear".
    The other option would be to thin down some paint and do some light coats.
    No matter what, i think your going to have to have some trial and error to get it right. the plus side of going with acrylic, is if you arent' happy about how it looks when you apply it, a simple wipe down with water is all you need to start over.
    Since you can't see the blue your looking for unless you press the button in person, thats the best I an give ya right now.

i can't wait for this movie. I already bought my Tickets for the science center imax dome. 4 story screen of TRON 3D goodness. :) 

Randy!

3. Pepsiman98

Probaly going to end up with Tamiya.
    To the blue plastic, You can see it better in this video review:
    YouTube - Tron Legacy Sam Flynn's Lightcycle Review
    I was just mainly wanting to know what colors to use so if I apply, let's say a yellow clear paint, I don't want it coming out green or something.
    I can't wait for the movie either :D 

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Well, whenever you apply one colro on top of anouther, and it's trasnparent, it's going to change it slightly. I think what you are wanting to do is pretty straightforward. Just need to practice.
    Thanks for adding that review, I....I want that toy now. :)  i wasn't sure which ones i wanted to get. I can't get them all, and everything is in different scales. i was thinking about picking up those little mini ones of the vehicles, but this is pretty awesome.

Randy!

5. Pepsiman98

Thanks, I'm probably going to mess around in paint.net a bit to find the right color I'm looking for. Your welcome for that review as well. :thumb