Transformium is a GREAT concept.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Galvatross, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Many will write this off as being garbage, but I seriously think Transformium is one of the best fictional concepts in the Transformers brand. It makes sense not as a real life substance, but as a fictional in-universe material, which is far, far more important than realism in a brand dealing with gigantic, transforming, alien robots. Before you blow this off, hear me out.

First, not enough Transformers fiction attempts to explain the physical material Transformers are made of. The fact Transformium even attempts to do that as an honest explanation is commendable.

Second, in the Movieverse and many other continuities Transformers gain new alternate modes by scanning. This even happens in the first episode of More Than Meets The Eye. To do this Transformers need to be able adapt their internal and external structure, their color, and their texture to their alternate mode. A programmable metal explains how they could do this, as by realigning the Transformium molecules the Transformer can change its mechanical structure, texture, and color.

Additionally, it does not need to contradict the Allspark origins in the first film. First, there's no reason there can't be more than one way to create a Transformer or create Transformium within a continuity. Transformium is simply the physical material Cybertronians were made of. The Allspark is what programmed them and made them living beings. Now it's true the Allspark is capable of turning Earth machinery into Transforners, BUT it's possible the Allspark energy is capable of programming metals other than Transformium, and it's also possible that just like the Seed turns organic life into Transformium, so too can the Allspark energy turn terrestrial metals into Transformium, and so the Allspark mutations were altered from Earth materials into Transformium-based machines. I'm not saying they couldn't contradict each other, but they don't necessarily contradict each other automatically. They can actually compliment each other.

Finally, the KSI transformations actually make sense. The Creators were a highly advanced civilization. Whether the Creators or someone else made the Allspark is up in the air, but it was also undoubtedly made by some advanced intelligence. It's logical that the Creators had a level of expertise far beyond that of the humans at KSI, and that they would be able to engineer the complex transformations of Cybertronian Transformers. The humans lacked such expertise and wouldn't be able to engineer such complex transformations. Also, I doubt KSI cared if their creations had the complex Cybertronian transformations. They simply wanted the robots to change to vehicle and back. With that considered, the cube transformations made sense.

I can understand not liking the KSI transformations or having a preference for traditional transformations; I myself like both. If you don't like Transformium that is fine. However, Transformium does not ruin the concept of Transformers by any stretch; it expands and enriches it.

I'd also argue that Transformium and the KSI transformations are not any more ridiculous than Frenzy suddenly gaining a new body from being exposed to the Allspark or the Allspark being bigger than a house, yet it can shrink to the size of a box and be carried by Sam. In my opinion it makes perfect sense in-universe as a fictional concept, which in my mind is what is most important.

I hope Galvatron carries his transformation abilities into future films, and that his transformation remains unique among the Decepticons given that his drone troops were largely if not entirely destroyed in AOE. I actually hope the concept of Transformium carries over to future Transformers shows and comics. As a fictional concept it is vastly underrated and receives way too much hate.

Do you agree? Disagree? Are you open to the idea, but you just don't like how the KSI transformations were executed?

• Like Like x 3
  2. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    agree with all you said

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformium got a pass for me because it seems like something the G1 crew would have put in an episode.

Also as lazy as it looks it makes for some awesome concepts.
    Like Gavatron merging with four of his Transformium cons to make a Combiner or something.

But honestly it will always be hated for it's product placement and for pandering to the Bronies.
    Not my opinion, it's just fact.

4. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    I think the idea of breaking apart to go from one mode to another, or even from one mode and then back to the same mode in a short distance sort of teleportation effect is just plain awesome.

Bee shooting Galvatron and having him break into a million pieces just to reform was a helluva surprise move, as evident by Bee's face.

5. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I'd disagree with this. Transformers up to that point had been depicted as having completely mechanical transformations, with no hint at parts-forming. Why would they bother going through a complex yoga routine if they could just explode themselves into a new form?

Why bother taking any alternative mode when they can just swirl their component parts up the side of a building or along a highway?

Why take any fixed form at all?

This bit I can agree with. Transformium itself is no more ridiculous than any other part of the series, they just used it to explain the wrong franchise. If they'd built a new franchise around the concept, fine, but to put it into a story where it undermines existing concepts was a mistake.

6. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    It doesn't undermine anything, it gives the enemies an advantage if used properly.

7. Autoclot

It undermines the established canon that transformation is a mechanical process. If Transformium has always allowed that kind of transformation, why would any previous Transformers not have used it?

8. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    First of all thanks for really interesting thoughts, this theme deserves much more than annoying moaning of Bay-haters:D 
    Secondly, I'm fine with KSI drones transformations and think that Transformium conception is very important. I always thought that Cybertronians can take variety of forms due controllable changing in molecular structure of their body.
    Thirdly, my thoughts about that slightly differ from yours. I think that cube-transformations of KSI drones is the result of the absence of sparks in them. Spark is vital and fragile part of Cybertronian body, also it's obviously they have some large "veins which nourish the spark by energon. This important part of the body couldn't be opened and detached from the rest. Energon maybe a transferring material for spark's ruling impulses, something like neurons-so the body must be whole during transformation! Drones haven't sparks and energon-so they don't need classic transformation.
    Regarding the AllSpark I think that Creators didn't invent it. Because in that case they would construct another one after Cybertronians retook the first. Creators invented Transformium as the best vessel for the spark power.
    By the way, sorry for my bad english:) 

9. Galvatross

Thanks.

Yeah, Transformium is really right at home within the crazy things within the brand.

I agree. This also shows another thing. Galvatron was able to use this ability due to his sentience. His drones were not as intelligent, and consequently were unable to use it effectively.

Well, Transformers are robots. They change into whatever they are programmed to transform into, or if, if sentient, whatever suitable alternate mode they chose. Just because the KSI Transformers can break up into cubes doesn't mean they can do so indefinitely unless they were programmed to do so. The sphere of Transformium that "dances" in the air out of Josh's hand did so because it was specifically programmed to do it by the humans. The transformation process still takes quickly regardless of whether they are KSI or Cybertronian Transformers. They can't do it indefinitely.

Although your description makes me think that could be a way to adapt the Swarm from G2 into a future film or show.

Also, it's still transforming. Transforming is changing from one thing to another. To me the specific mechanics don't define Transformers. Also, part of my original point was that humans lacked the engineering expertise to program complex transformations. The Creators did have the expertise.

And I'm glad you can see that, because Transformers has never been real world realistic.

I like the way you put things, even if I don't fully agree with your opinion.

10. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    The movies clearly follow a different "canon."

And transforming by breaking down and reassembling isn't always allowed. A limited number has it, and now it's only Galvatron that does.

You have to remember, the Transformers that utilize breaking down as their method of transforming have it programmed that way. Apparently the humans came up with a different way than the Creators did.

11. Autoclot

I don't remember them saying there was a limit, but I could have missed a line of dialogue - where did you get this from?

I never said anything to contradict this.

My point still stands - why do the complex transformation if you can just disintegrate yourself into a new form?

I meant the canon within the films. Every Transformer up to that point in the series had had a mechanical transformation, with no indication of a partsforming capability.

Everything KSI knew about programming Transformium was learned from Megatron's head. To come up with the the siwrlyforming method would have required Megatron to know about it.

12. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Great thread topic and WHOLLY agreed!

Just to chime in for a moment here...

1. KSI didn't learn about programming Transformium from Megatron's exclusively. They ALSO had access to the data salvaged from Sentinel Prime's head via Brains. And Sentinel, it's worth mentioning, happened to be "the Einstein of his civilization" who handily transcended our knowledge of physics.

2. Transformium as a concept categorically DOES NOT undermine the "mechanical" nature of previous transformation schemes in ANY way whatsoever.

3. In point of fact, it actually serves as a PERFECT explanation for the PREVIOUSLY unexplained inconsistency of completely metallic protoforms using NOTHING but their own, metallic matter to assume the likenesses of glass, leather, rubber, and even human skin, etc.

4. In other words, Pretenders undermined the concept of "mechanical" transformations and Transformium resolved that problem. Same goes for various other accouterments of alt. modes which were generally unquestioned yet defied logic in the absence of Transformium as a concept.

5. As I've mentioned elsewhere recently, the KSI-bot/Transformium transformation serves as an EXCELLENT tie-in with the Kre-O line of Transformers, and the entire franchise IS essentially a toy commercial, right?

6. It obviously saves time and money and allows for CGI $$$ to go towards increased screentime for Transformers in their own movie. Pick your battles and choose wisely.

7. Honestly, it's a cool, fresh new angle...which is worthwhile and commendable in its own right, not to mention the fact that it looks cool as hell. C'mon! If you really pay attention it's pretty badass how the outer layer of "skin/paint" seems to shuffle off on its own before the understructure disintegrates into blocks, which then leapfrog ahead of the skin/paint to re-materialize as the understructure just before the skin/paint slaps back down over it. Sorry, but that's pretty awesome and I get a REAL kick out of watching it every time!

Haha, I could go on.

;) 

• Like Like x 2
  13. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I really liked what they did with Transformium. The explanations makes sense, especially in this canon and add a bit of variety, and I also feel it doesn't contradict anything.

In addition to what others are saying with how it is programmable, did they also say that what KSI had was unstable? Maybe thats another reason why there are the cube/pixel transformation.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Senior Robotic Citizen

News Credits:
    At first I was against it, but then the whole concept grew on me. It does makes sense. Especially since only the KSI 'bots are the ones with it. It always intrigued me that Galvatron could have a mixture of regular decepticons and ksi decepticons in one army fighting together. Also it very easily explains how transformers, like other have mentioned, create leather, skin, etc.. on their robotic modes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    I really enjoy the concept, my only "only" issue with it, is the name. Literally, that's the only issue I had.

16. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    This is a very good point, however as someone who regularly dabbles in several different programming languages, it's not necessary that anyone knew about it.

If we're going from an actual programming language perspective, the Creators could have set the "swirlyforming method" (I like that, by the way) to not be "read" with a simple use of a double backslash.

Joyce also says he "mapped their whole genome" which could have triggered or unlocked said code parameter.

Lastly, from a "real world" standpoint, humans don't know about their own DNA until they get it examined. Even then, we don't have a 100% certainly what we're capable or susceptible to, such as the chance of getting cancer or being more tolerant to certain illnesses.

This I agree with.

Especially considering Joyce is doing things that tend to specifically bend the laws of nature.

17. Galvatross

The reason I said that is because it is clearly stated that Transformium is a programmable metal. That means you can program it to transform into whatever you want given it's within reason. Stinger, for instance, was programmed to transform into a Pagani Huayra. On command he can move or fight or fire weapons or spy I suppose. Stinger can not transform into a vehicle he is not programmed to transform into. He is not programmed to eternally hover in the air as a mass of cubes. He is programmed to drive, fire weapons, transform into a robot, fight or do some espionage, and then transform back into a Pagani.

Transformium is a useful material, but a non-sentient Transformer made of Transformium it's still limited by what it's programmed to do and transform into. Obviously Megatron is sentient, so his mind is able to manipulate Brains and the humans into building a new body for himself. Still, even sentient Transformers no doubt are limited in the number of alternate modes they can have at once and other abilities because the Creators no doubt placed limits on their abilities when they made the Transformers. They programmed different Transformers to perform different tasks.

Remember, the Creators made the Transformers to control them and not to be free beings, just like KSI made Transformers because they wanted to control transforming robots. In both instances the Creators and KSI failed at being able to control their creations. The ancient Cybertronians gained sentience, and Galvatron is not actually controlled by the humans at all.

I agree completely, but I want to emphasize points 2 and 3. Cybertronians do not conveniently have rubber, or leather, or rust, or organic tissue available in their bodies for in case they come across an alternate mode that has such things. Transformium makes sense because that way their bodies can realign the Transformium molecules in such a way that they can adapt the external texture of alien surfaces, whether it's the rubber of a tire or the rusty surface of an old truck or the skin, hair, scales, or mucous-covered surfaces of organic. creatures.

18. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but Transformium easily explains Crosshairs' duster and parachutes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I'm rather mixed on Transformium. It is a good way to explain how TF mutate into new forms and explains how movie TF can hold their admittedly ridiculous robot modes together. However, I dislike that Transformers now morph, rather than rearrange their body parts. I'd rather their complex robot modes be explained with magnetic nanobots or something and just have transformium's use be limited to transcanning.

It's also ridiculous that KSI found a way to have Transformium just fly through the air like it did. That isn't the result of it being less advanced. Adding in flying is making it more advanced. The idea that humans could figure this out but not the Transformers is absurd.

While the KSI transformations did have potential to be used in creative ways, it so far hasn't been, outside of that one scene with Galvatron and Bee. If future movies utilize it in a more interesting way, that could help to justify it's existence beyond being a way to save money on transformations.

20. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Senior Robotic Citizen

News Credits:
    Oh I grantee they will. Except they'll limit it probably to just Galvatron. He could easily use it fighting Optimus now and have quite the advantage.