Transforming RotF Leader Jetfire

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Xenomrph, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    I caved and got Leader Jetfire. I love his robot mode and I think he looks awesome, but holy crap I can't transform him into a jet. The bit where you split his torso and swing up the last back panel, I can't get the panel to snap into place with the panel ahead of it and it's really pissing me off. I've struggled with this thing for, like, 20 minutes now and I just don't get it. Apparently there are other people who find it really difficult, which isn't reassuring for me. I love his robot mode, but I am THIS CLOSE to packaging him back up and returning him because his transformation is pissing me off. I know what I'm supposed to do, the panel just WON'T DO IT. :banghead: 

2. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I wish I could help, but my Leader Jetfire is packed up in my "to sell" box for that same reason...

3. ckhowling

ckhowling Well-Known Member

There's definitely a lot of fiddling with this one to get him to transform. It took me a while to get it and I was pretty much convinced he was broken. Eventually got it though. I'm not a big jan of his jet mode anyways unless I look down at it. I just keep him combined with prime or in robot mode.

4. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    I'm just trying to decide if he's worth the trouble. I bought him for $35 at Wal-Mart because his robot mode rocks, but I buy Transformers so I can, you know, transform them. I haven't had this much trouble with a Transformer's transformation being so fiddly and rage-inducingly frustrating since Cybertron Crosswise/Smokescreen. I love his car mode, I love his robot mode, but I HATE transforming him. Jetfire is starting to feel very similar to me.

I *almost* bought Universe 2.0 Powerglide yesterday because I love Powerglide and I really wanted him in the red deco instead of the grey-white deco, but I got Jetfire instead. Now I'm questioning that decision.

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Eventually it will all make sense and you'll get it. The first time I put him in plane mode took me over an hour. I was certain either the toy was defective or I was stupid. That ad boy is harder to finesse into place than Death Star Vader.

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jetfire is the worst ROTF toy IMO. I regret buying the original one and I regret buying the two pack version.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The first time I did it, it took me a good 40 minutes while watching TV to transform him, but at no point did I feel like returning him. For once I was happy to be holding a leader class Transformer that took more than 7 moves to transform it (yeah Im looking at you Animated Megatron!!). For me both Leader Prime and Jetfire are two of the best toys in the ROTF line.

8. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

As kick-ass as Jetfire's SR-71 mode is, trying to transform him took me 45 minutes, and I will never transform him back to robot mode. I wish I'd kept my money.

9. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Is this figure really that bad? Wow, I'm glad I've got my G1 figure!

10. ckhowling

ckhowling Well-Known Member

No he's not that bad. It just takes a little patience, and for the amount of cash I spent on him, I welcome the challenge. The robot mode is great. He didn't look that good in the box, but once I pulled him out and posed him, he looked amazing. IT's also worth it, just to combine him with prime, which is sort of epic and my preferred method of display right now.

11. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    He is up there in what I classify as the 'Rubiks Cube' of Transformers, right there with Star Wars Crossover Death Star/Darth Vader. The trick is really to get that front end taken care of first, get them all lined up properly for the tabs/pegs and the rest falls into place.

12. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I love my Jetfire. Although the first time transforming him, I gave up after an hour and some odd minutes. Finished up the next morning before work. I have learned tricks and that so now I can transform him relatively quicker.

13. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

:lol  Same here. My Jetfire spent his first night at my place leaned up against a wall in a mid-transformed retarded froggy gerwalk mode.

The trick I used is taking the back panel off and slightly bending it like a playing card (obviously not enough to damage it) and then putting the tabs in place. As stated, once you do it a couple of times, you figure out the tricks and it's considerably easier.

14. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Could any of you share some of those other "tricks"?

I mean, I love his robot mode; I think he looks unique and he's got a lot of character. Just that transformation is killing me and making me regret buying him, and his vehicle mode looking like it's chock-full of underbelly kibble isn't helping much. I'm a huge SR-71 nerd though so I'm really giving it a lot of slack because it's one of the coolest planes ever made.

I buy Transformers so I can fiddle with them and transform them back and forth; I bought ROTF Brakedown a few days ago and I've transformed him back and forth about 20 times, he's just really fun to fiddle with. Same with Bludgeon, Mindwipe, Wideload, Jolt, Brawn, Skystalker, Lockdown, and Long Haul, all of whom I got in the last couple of weeks. I keep changing them back and forth and it's a lot of fun.
    I don't transform Leader Optimus too often just because it's so complicated, but otherwise I know what I'm doing and I'm confident I can do it when I want to.

Jetfire makes it feel like a chore. :(  I know what I'm supposed to do, but the toy just makes it difficult to do because of how the panels line up, I guess.
    I mean, Transformers are supposed to be fun, and Jetfire's transformation just isn't much fun because the panels are retarded. I'm really questioning if I'd get more enjoyment out of Powerglide; I know how to transform him, I had the original white deco one. For $25 on clearance at Wal-Mart, I'm really tempted to pick up the red deco one since my white deco one is currently broken.

15. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Except for the two "JTFR" panels, which fall apart when looked at, I don't have trouble manipulating his parts into their proper locations. The problem I have is getting everything to snap together and stay in one piece that actually looks like an SR-71 and not a pile of kibble.

16. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
  17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Do you mean the panel that changes into a gun for combined mode? I had problems with it too when trying to connect it to the other panel for jet mode but then I found it's easier to unclip the whole gun panel and slot it into the other panel separately. Then flip up the torso block and plug it back into the gun panel.

18. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

He's definitely a bitch to transform, but I really like mine. There aren't any "tricks" though. I've been frustrated once or twice when I couldn't figure out a transformation. That's when you put it down and try it again later after the frustration wears off.

19. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Holy crap, that's brilliant. Including little videos to show you exactly what you're supposed to do when the instructions aren't quite clear is an incredibly awesome idea.

I'll have another go at Jetfire in a little bit, maybe this time I'll figure it out.

Thanks for all the help, everybody! I really appreciate it.

20. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    FINALLY got him turned into a jet. I like the jet mode, even if it's got a bunch of underbelly robot parts and crap, but I think I'm gonna hang onto him.

Also, TFWiki talks about "while in robot mode, a new button is revealed on his rear that triggers mechanical stomping sounds."
    The packaging and instructions don't say anything about that, and I haven't seen it in any video reviews I've checked. Where is that?