Transforming Combiner War Figures tough?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by johnchow604, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a very smart point to make.

I hadn't thought about it before. You are right to point out that when engineering Combiner Wars figures, they had to think not only about how long it would take to transform individual figures, but how long it would take to transform the combiner as a whole. That could get tedious really fast.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    I'd just like a little complexity in my transformers. I'm firmly on the side of the fence that thinks that simplistic transformations are not a good thing. Some of my favorite transformations are those that involve lots of steps. Heck I'm not even a movie fan but I at least appriciate that they (use to) have really involved transformations. I get it, some people get frustrated or peeved off with complex transformations, but personally I find complex transformations to be calming. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    /\Totally agree. Going through a lot of steps to arrive at a good bot mode or fun alt mode is satisfying. The reward is almost tangible.
    Except for RotF Jetfire. That thing can rot in hell.

• Like Like x 3
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Personally, undue complex transformations are frustrating and increase my blood pressure rather than decrease it.

I do find, however, if something is TOO simple and the payoff is awful, then it's not worth it. Likewise, a complex transformation with intuitive steps can be fun. But, generally, I prefer a Transformer to have about 8-10 steps. I should be able to convert a figure several times in the course of 5-10 minutes. Any longer than that and it ceases to function as a Transformer...it's either going to be left in action figure or vehicle collectable mode for the foreseeable future.

5. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I think people get "complexity" and "elegance" mixed up a lot. Instead of complex vs. simple, a better way to look at it would be elegant vs. fiddly.

Combiner Wars are elegant. You've got however many different deluxe figures...but all of them ultimately have to fold up into an arm and leg that are relatively close to the same size. To pull that off on the scale Hasbro/Takara did was pretty impressive.

Meanwhile, you've got RtS Wreck-Gar, which I recently sold because I absolutely hated owning a transformer that was such a pain in the butt to change back and forth. I'd also put Generations Wingblade and RiD Sideswipe in this category.

But as Hasbro tries to find the balance between modern design and G1 appearances...you're going to see less complexity and more elegance. Because you can't recreate G1 "accurately" without mimicking elements of the transformation. And those were simple by design.

6. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    Yes, that's it! There's this sense of satisfaction and accomplishment after doing a complex transformation. Remember, a transformer figure is also in a sense a puzzle. And the fun in puzzles is solving them. It saddens me that Hasbro/Takara are in this mindset of "ten or less steps". :( 

Transforming a complex figure helps me with my anxiety. :) 

7. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

That said, if there's multiple points that actually make you anxious when attempting them, then it's not good. Hasbro these days seems to be wanting Transformers to be fun to play with in all modes. I'm glad that while Hasbro's figures are simple, they're not insultingly so. And Takara has their Masterpiece stuff for more complex options.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Beastwarsfan95

News Credits:
    There's not any points that make me anxious, so no worries there. :) 

9. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    Deluxe Groove's legs are a pain in the ass to tab together, but nothing has been overly complex or frustrating.

• Like Like x 1
  10. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    All are easy
    except when putting the back wheel together on afterburner and afterbreaker after splitting them apart.

11. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Once you understand the trick to RTS Wreckgar it's very easy and satisfying how there were able to make that bike-bot really good. It's all in the pelvis ratchets.

I can understand issues with the folding legs of the Combiner War deluxes when you first get one but once you figure it out it's cookie cutter.

12. razingstorm

razingstorm Well-Known Member

My 3yo can transform his CW deluxes. There's no way to say that without implying a significant amount of condescension so I'll just own it.

13. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    This is my answer try transforming a mp red alert now that's frustrating

14. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not at all! Way easier than movie figures

15. Horzzo

Horzzo Well-Known Member

Just transformed G2 Bruticus last night. Very enjoyable distraction while watching a movie. I had stop and think maybe twice but overall quite easy. I actually prefer it being a little easier compared to some of those masterpiece transformations. MP Megatron was borderline frustrating.

16. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

How is Red Alert frustrating? I find MP Sideswipe fairly intuitive, and from what I can tell the only real difference between them are the top of the head and the new shoulders featuring false wheels.

RTS Perceptor, on the other hand... there is no fun to be had with that thing.

17. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Easy for all the ones I transformed. Only difficulty I had with figures were some from ROTF and Binaltech Grimlock.

18. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone, maybe I'm just out of practice. I found Takara Unite Lightspeed extremely difficult to transform back to car mode. Took a while to line parts up or fold the head back under the hood while the whole time feeling like i'm causing stress marks, paint chipping by forcing things.

I tried the Takara instructions but its in japanese and I find the pictures a bit small. The videos on youtube either make it look so easy :)  OR, say its a reused mold and just skip it :( 

19. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In terms of Takara Unite Strafe, I still haven't figured out the correct official arm mode transformation.

Overall, it's great to hear the transformations are supposed to be easy....it just means I'm making things overly complicated or not looking in the right places for info.

20. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    breakdowns mold is preety bad, to be honest, mine came out of package with a snap on his upper chest area where the chest can conflict with the parts, the QC of this line had me being very carefull with all the toys just in case, they introduced some new ways of transforming legs in this line, i think that might of caught a few people out, but to be honest the whole line was rather simple.