Minor/Repaint: Transforming (Classics) Roller - the lazy way

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ramrider, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Inspired by Dyingwill3rd's movie version and the TFClub Masterpiece one (which frankly so far also looks like it's designed for the movie Prime), I figured my Classics Prime, while so far missing a trailer, could use a hand from his trusty puppet.

Cue Armada Ironhide (the redeco of Dune Runner that came with Terrorsaur). Remove knee bits and canopy and repaint - sorted.

Paints used: Vallejo Model Color Dark Prussia Blue, Inscribe Raven (black) and True Silver, eye painted with True Silver and overlaid with yellow glass paint for pretty shiny effects.
    Sealed with DecoArt Duraclear matt(ish) varnish.

Bosh.

[att]http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/attachment.php?attachmentid=9828&stc=1&d=1215705131[/att]

[att]http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/attachment.php?attachmentid=9831&stc=1&d=1215705131[/att]

Attached Files:

2. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Cool. Nice job.

3. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Actually this is a pretty cool idea...the mini fits well as Roller with Classics Prime...you've chosen a good mold to use and have done a nice job with him...the only thing I would suggest is maybe a solid bumper in the front...

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks. And you know, that bumper suggestion's just made me think of something. I deliberately took the kneecaps out because I knew that if I painted them the paintjob would rub to nothing in no time because of the hinge-ing.
    But with a minimum of styrene work (which admittedly would make it a bit less lazy :p ), I could pad out the front of the buggy/legs without having to hinge it...

You're good... :thumb 

5. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Glad I could help...:) 

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I fail to see how giving me fancy-pants ideas and making extra work for me constitutes "helping"...

...git. :p 

;) 

7. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

may i suggest a lazy trailer for him to go in, use a G1 prime trailer.

great idea though, I'm planning on giving my classic prime a trailer at some point and wanted to update roller, this could be just the thing iu need.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks.

And obviously I do want a trailer, whether lazy or not (most likely not unless I can find a handy-dandy ready-made donor), but I have absolutely no idea what I'm gonna do about that yet. I don't think a G1 trailer would quite work with the Classic IMO.

But yeah, turns out thanks to Defstar (him and his big typing fingers :p ), Roller's not as finished as I thought it was. I've dug out the styrene to give it a little modding at the front.

9. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

sweet. you went the easy way, which is cool. Also some Universe news; The wave one deluxes have hit my town!

10. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Awww....he so wittle and cute!! :D 

:thumb 

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh... nothing like a recoiling machine gun to bring out those mothering instincts... :p 

On the trailer front, I dug out my G2 Prime trailer for comparison and it actually looks a pretty good fit with a few mods.
    I'm not gonna touch it, though, and I've got one or two idea for making it a bit different.
    I'm tempted to shop around for junker G1 (or equivalent) Prime trailers to use as fodder for a 'bash...

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    hehehe cool. I wonder what roller will be like with the upcoming custom trailer we'll be able to buy from the guys making the magnus armor.

13. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

No idea; I daresay it'll be pretty cool, if somewhat pricey. Doubt it'll be transforming, though (understandably). Still, I do look forward to seeing how theirs turns out; the trailer does look pretty cool so far.

I've finished the construction (such as it is) on Roller now; just need to finish up the paintjob and it'll be ready to go again... I'm quite chuffed with how it's improved the robot form as well, actually.

14. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Lazy or not, we needed a Roller. Good idea, good execution.

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    hopefully he won't look too small with that trailer :) 

16. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

i have a g2 prime trailer and no g2 prime (don't know how that happened) if the size fits i will prob use it. the small size of roller could be qiute good to use the guns inside the trailer if they had some modding

17. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Made the appropriate mods now and painted it up. Basically used a little offcut of styrene sheet to form a bumper and fill in the front of the buggy, then added detailing with thin styrene strip.

I'm also painting in a set of glow-in-the-dark headlamps, just for the yuks...

[att]http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/attachment.php?attachmentid=9873&dateline=1215830281[/att]

[ATT]http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/attachment.php?attachmentid=9874&dateline=1215830281[/ATT]

Since these images don't appear to be showing up, it's the last two at the head of the thread, anyway... :p 

18. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Well its an awesome approvement for Roller, so awesome work on it, Ramrider.

19. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Andy2, now ya just need to grow it in hydro :p 

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

What, for a Masterpiece version or sump'n? Sod that; this was supposed to be a lazy project. :p 

Besides, there appear to be a lot of virtually non-removable pins in there (especially in the torso), that I really can't be arsed to try and wheedle out...