Customs: transforming actionmasters

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by weltdav, Dec 16, 2008.

1. weltdav

weltdav Active Member

I'm planning on starting a project, which I'll make customs of the action masters from 1990 using the transformers out there. Most of these will be repaints and minor mods.

here are the ones I currently plan on doing (the transformers I'm using will be in '()'

Jackpot (cybertron downshift + cybertron crosswise)

Skyfall (target exclusive universe dirge, energon skyblast, + universe soundwave or king atlas)

Gutcruncher(cybertron downshift + armada/rid bludgeon)

Krock(korean beast wars starscream + bb)

Mainframe

I'm not buying or doing anything yet I just want to get some ideas mainly for the alt form of Mainframehttp://tfu.info/1990/Autobot/Mainframe/mainframe.htm

I also need suggestions on how to do Skyfall, since dirge's front needs to be Skyfall's back and i need skyblast's chest to Skyfall's

I plan on doing the other action masters later, but right now only the ones from 1990, not the europe exculsives, and I might make repaints of their partners too. Any suggestions for the partners will be helpful as well

Attached Files:

2. weltdav

weltdav Active Member

I added pictures to better illustrate what I'm trying to do for skyfall. When I get I picture of his back, I'll replace the current action master picture with it.

I'm using the galaxy force starscream image for the target exclusive dirge(pretend its blue)

I changed the slash in between soundwave and king atlas in the above to 'or' for better clarification.

3. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I can see where you're trying to go with it and I think you're on the right track. However I also believe that either head (King Atlas or Soundwave) will be too big.

Have you thought about using the Action Master head? I don't think its much smaller (if at all) than the current head on Dirge.

4. weltdav

weltdav Active Member

I hadn't thought of that for skyfall, I have been thinking of using the original's head for mainframe, since his head's kind of unique. I was picking between sound wave and king atlas because I wasn't sure how big dirge's head was.

5. coinilius

coinilius Well-Known Member

For Mainframe maybe you could try using Cybertron Soundwave/Universe Blaster? The big computer-looking thing on his chest seems similar to the tape-deck style chests they have. I think I've even seen pictures of a ko Titanium Soundwave that had a similar colour scheme to Mainframe once before even :p 

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry, not much in the way of answers to your questions.... but I just wanted to chime in and say that if you're doing Actionmasters from 1990, you HAVE to turn Cybertron Smokescreen into Rad. He's practically already done for you, with the head design and color scheme being so similar.

Although I guess if you want even more accuracy, you could pop his head on to a Universe Prowl/Silverstreak body.

Anyhow, cool idea, and good luck!

7. weltdav

weltdav Active Member

@coinilius: I'll look in to them for mainframe. I was thinking of using classics ironhide for the body, but he's kind of hard to find at the moment

@WhiteMocha: Rad seemed so obvious nothing needed to be said, when I do Jackpot i could get two crosswises and paint one red. I'll see about classics prowl though

Thanks for your input, and belated thanks to AutobotSDG for his suggestion

8. weltdav

weltdav Active Member

I came up with a couple more action masters I can do.

Jackpot's partner Sights(energon divebomb)

Banzai-Tron(cybertron sideways for body+ head of energon divebomb)

Axer(cybertron armorhide for body)

Slicer*(energon downshift)

I've got the transformers I need bookmarked, and there's about four colors of paint I don't have yet, but can pick up. So, I can start ordering and buying at anytime, but I don't like buying stuff this close to christmas, kind of a personal thing I have.

If you got anymore ideas or suggestions keep'em coming.

*He's europe exclusive, I said I wasn't doing them, at least not yet.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

For some reason, I see Rollout being made out of a Classics Prime.

10. magic 8 ball

magic 8 ball Member

I've been thinking of doing similar things for quite a while, but real life keeps interfering. Stupid real life!

Anyway, Cybertronian lists some pretty handy guesses at the alt-modes of the original AM characters, which have given me some fun ideas too. Here's the short list, and a few of my thoughts. Maybe they'll help:

Rad: His "chest seems based on some Japanese motorcycles". I was leaning toward Cybertron Ransack, but I'm trying to do Deluxe or bigger, so I'm pondering a bit.

Rollout: "appears to be based on a bulldozer or wheel loader". I've been seriously considering the Star Wars Turbo Tank for him, just for kicks.

Jackpot: "Ferrari Testarossa". I was going to do the black Side Burn repaint from Universe 1.0... not a Ferrari at all, but I think it's doable-dye the white parts yellow and the red parts black and you're nearly done. A simple head swap on the movie Stealth Bumblebee would almost work as-is, but the movie designs are, IMO, not very compatible with other TFs.

Mainframe: "was based on high-tech machinery like Fujitsu's FMTowns PC and CCD Cameras". He sounds like an Autobot version of Reflector. Maybe a Real Gear then? Zoom Out 25X was my first thought.

Kickoff: "Headlights and bumper seem vaguely Porsche-like, but it's possible he was simply designed to have a generic sports-car feel to him". Universe Prowl seems to be the obvious choice... Maybe TOO obvious.

Skyfall: "seems based on a high-tech jet like the TV show's Skyfire". I like the direction you're heading. I was thinking the red Armada Thrust myself, but I don't think he's "techie" enough.

Over-Run: The "chest suggests that his character once turned into an Apache-esque helicopter". I was leaning toward Energon Quickstrike. Part of that may just be that I adore that figure, and want to make him part of my Classics collection. :) 

Sprocket: "His chest cockpit windows and air vents resemble features of both a jet and a helicopter". There's quite a few jets that would work for him. I'm leaning toward the Cybertron Starscream/Universe Dirge mold on him.

Treadshot: "clearly based on a revolver, perhaps derived from the .44 Magnum Gun Robo from the Microchange line". Classics Megatron seems a bit obvious, and not really that close, but gun-formers are limited.

Krok: "meant to look like he once became a UFO". There's about a dozen Star Wars TFs that I'm thinking of. I'm liking the thought of the Snowspeeder of the Imperial Shuttle.

Banzai-Tron: "Uniquely, his design seems to be based not on any 'lost' mode, but rather on the look of an ancient Japanese warrior". I see Banzai-Tron being Energon Mirage, personally.

Axer: "design implies that he once turned into some sort of futuristic car." Armada Blurr practically IS him already!

Gutcruncher: "He once became some sort of tank". I'm planning on doing him with a Classics Megatron (the tank one). The colors are 90% there already! Just need to relocate the cannon, add another hand, and mod the head (which could easily be done from a Wheeljack cast).

For the weapon-partners, I'd be more likely to lean toward Minicons. Trying to pair a basic-sized TF with a deluxe-sized TF seems a bit ridiculous to me.

11. weltdav

weltdav Active Member

Do them however you want, their alt forms are pretty much open to interpretation. I'm going to try and do mine how i see them. I personally don't see axer from armada blurr

I was also thinking of using energon quickstrike for over-run but found bulkhead instead which is pretty much the same

For Sprocket I'm going to use energon treadshot(the black jet combiner limb)

I'm thinking of using cybertron lugnuts for kickoff.

I've also been noticing the action master influences in the cybertron line

Wouldn't this be great for a convention set? :) 

12. magic 8 ball

magic 8 ball Member

Sure. I was just offering up the scant information that's out there, and my thoughts on it. Take it, leave it, do what works for you. That's the whole point of customizing. :) 

The design is somewhat similar, although of course Axer doesn't have huge shoulderpads and a backpack. The colors are already the same scheme. Get rid of the orange, throw some gray on the chest and lower legs, make the blues all the same shade... he's not perfect, but he's darn close.

Well, for me it's a matter of painting a helicopter red, or using a red helicopter that's the exact same mold. That's a BIG plus right there, as it saves a lot of unnecessary work.

...I'm afraid I don't get it. Kick-Off has four wheels and headlights molded right onto his body, the same way guys like Prowl and Jazz do. Maybe you can get a motorcycle to work, but to me his existing design just screams 'car'.

13. weltdav

weltdav Active Member

I was thinking with a name like Kick-off he'd make more sense as a motorcycle, but I can do him as a car, just use classics prowl

For me, the site I'm ordering my transformers from doesn't have quickstrike but has bulkhead, yeah I'll be using more red, but it seems like a win to me