Transformers you wish you had bought sooner?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm browsing through some Classics and Animated figures on eBay and it's amazing how wildly the prices have fluctuated in just a few years. Classics Ramjet, who was quite cheap and common five years ago now sells for around $50 with Generations Thrust and Dirge currently at retail. GoD Dreadwind's price skyrocketed after Darkwind was made available, and both Rodimus and Hardhead are pricey because of custom add-ons. With a 20/20 hindsight, are there any Transformers you wish you had bought sooner?

For me, I'm still missing Henkei Ratchet and Red Alert. Prices for Henkei figures in general have soared since they stopped being produced. Now these two sell for around $50 each. I also need Henkei Onslaught, but his price appears to be more stable. Hopefully it will stay that way until I can get the funds to order him.

2. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Henkei Starscream, Ratchet, and Ironhide for less than $35 on Edbomber a few months ago. I hesitated in getting the figures and eventually they all became out of stock. Now they are back in stock but $50 and over. I so regretted not buying them then.

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Umm...everything I missed out on before the summer of 2008, especially the Japanese exclusives? I was away for a long time and missed out on a LOT.

4. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Henkei Ratchet n Ironhide. I didn't think these characters were popular and now evilBay list at approx $75-!! Unicron Jap ver, I didn't think it would sell out esp at approx $150- in this economy. TFM Skystalker, didnt think it was popular but then again I have never even seen it in retainers!!

5. 123►Genei-Jin

123►Genei-Jin Member

Henkei Smokescreen
    Henkei Ramjet (at least I own the Generations version)
    Henkei Ironhide
    TFX-03 (City Commander)

I was lucky enough to get a MISB Henkei Ratchet recently for $25 (actually got Sideswipe, Prowl and Ratchet for $75)
    Try to be patient, I also waited ages to get my hands on an CR/RID JRX, it normally goes for around $70 or so and I got mine complete for around $30 on ebay.

6. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Two legends items, ROTF Wheelie & TFU Beachcomber.

I took them fer granted since they're legends class, thought that they were always gonna be around. Sigh...

7. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That last "Starscream/Hound/Cyclonus" wave of Universe I saw before I started collecting again...

I saw it at Walmart on clearance for 5 dollars a pop o_O 

8. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Botcon 2007 and 2008 stuff. Got back into Transformers in 2007 (like many, the movie brought back my interest), didn't get into classics until mid-2008, and didn't get into "expensive" stuff till about 2009. With the generations releases, I was atleast able to score Dirge and Thrust at what I consider a reasonable price. I will slowly knock out the rest as money allows for it. Still have about 4-5 Henkei figures on my list (Smokescreen being at the top right now).

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dinoking....... I should of brought him before Lio kaiser:banghead: 

10. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Boy, you're not kidding about Smokescreen. He sells for $65 loose? That sure makes me glad I bought mine when he came out. He's so much better than the Universe version and one of the prettiest figures in the line. Oh, I'm sorry. Am I making you jealous? :p 

11. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Yes Universe/ Classics Ratchet - the Henkei one is easy to get but the Universe one has vanished.

Probably Universe Hotshot, Micron Airglide, And Micron Booster wave 3 as well.

Botcon Dreadwing and Bug Bite I should have bought when they were cheap obviously.

Also Titanium 6" Optimus Prime and Jetfire - big regrets there.

Sometimes the prices come down again though that seems to be happenin with MP3 Soundwave and Anime Starscream / Black E-Hobby Starscream are getting cheaper it seems to me.

I probably should have bought that Bruticus set and the Fan project upgrade as they are both silly money now... and they just happened to turn up originally when I was concentrating on other things.

I wish I'd had the spare change to buy the DVD Microns but I couldn't justify the price of them at the time.

As If anything I love Minicons even more over time so all the ones I've missed grate all the more - even ones that a lot of people would ignore like the Micron Booster Wave zero stuff or Walmart Race team.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I have the figures now, but I had to pay a hefty price for Henkei Hound and Rodimus at $80 and $70 respectively. I passed on them back before I'd made the commitment to go all-Henkei for my collection.

Currently I'm wishing I had the opportunity to pick up Skyfire, Prowl, Streak, and Smokescreen before this current lack-of-employment situation. That's all I need to get out of the way for Henkei before I can get on to United.

13. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Was Hound hard to find back then? I got him in Nov for only 22 at BBTS. TFsource is selling him for $23.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Hound got a second production run. I happened to buy mine during the Hound drought.

15. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Had I known about the Takaratomy ROTF Sidearm Sideswipe (all silver paint job) earlier, I wouldve bought it on a huge discount. Was 26, now nearing $40...on Evilbay. :( 

16. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    the minibot legends of universe 2.0, i had that second wave IN MY HAND and instead i got smokescreen.....WHAT THE FUCK WAS WRONG WITH ME!

oh well, got my fort max the next day hehe

17. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Erm...All the G1/Japanese vintages that were easily available in the 80s?

So that I don't have to pay sky-rocket prices 25 years later? :lol 

18. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

A lot of the Henkei's, some Universe figures, japan premium leader Optimus, FP City Commander, FP snowman kit, there's a lot I wish I'd bought sooner, but I was late to starting collecting again, so there you go.

19. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

they were really hard to find in my area

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Generation 1 Thunderwing and Overlord really top my list here. I could add most of the other Pretenders and certainly the Micromasters as well, notably the Decepticon Pretenders (which are more monstrous), and the Autobot Battlefield Headquarters (which I actually didn't like up until I had it in my hands). I'll also put the Takara Bookstyle Collection Soundblaster, reissue Twincast, and e-Hobby Sunstorm on this list as well, as I really like them and wished I had been able to afford them when they were initially released.