Transformers You Stupidly Missed Picking Up Even Though You Were Around

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SouthtownKid, Jan 15, 2012.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    List the toys you stupidly passed on and later regretted... or otherwise failed to notice before they became hard or impossible for you to get. I don't mean from when you were a kid and it wasn't really up to you. I mean after growing up, having a job, some disposable income to do with what you want, and you missed them anyway.

Here are a couple of mine:

1. Brave Maximus (Car Robots)
    Okay, this was a little more than a decade ago, but still hurts. I stupidly kept waiting for a domestic RiD release that never came, missing any chance I ever had of picking him up at any kind of halfway reasonable price. He now goes for anywhere from $500 to $1000. Nope. Maybe before I was married. Well, probably not, honestly. But either way, I'd never get away with it now.

2. Buster Optimus Prime (RotF)
    I missed the entire first two movies' toylines when they came out, but Buster is the only one I regret. That is a really nice toy that I've resigned myself to never having. Having Battle Hooks Prime dulls the pain a little, but not much.

There are a few smaller semi-recent releases that I postponed picking up until they were gone and suddenly shot up in price on the secondary market, but those two are the big ones for me. Especially Maximus. Gahhh.

Masterpiece Rodimus Prime (Hasbro version) almost made the list, as I only ever saw one in the wild. I debated spending the money, and when I went back for it, it was, of course, gone. And as usual, realizing I had missed it is what made me feel like I absolutely had to have it, and how could I be so stupid? Luckily, I was able to get one when TRU.com got them back in stock just before Christmas, and even briefly had them on sale for $10 cheaper than store retail.

Anyone else out there have any Transformers you regret missing, even though you had a chance to pick one up?

2. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Leader Class Jetfire (ROTF). There were tons of him in our local TRU for about a year, then when I finally decided to get one...nadda. And now he goes for stupid money on eBay.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Did the same with Brave Max :p  regretted it for a while but kinda realized I'd never really have a place to keep it.

I passed on Ratchet, Hound, Mirage, Smokescreen, and a whole bunch of Classics, now having a hard time getting em. In hindsight, should have also tried to go on eBay and grab the SG figures like Prime and Rodimus early too. Then there's also ROTF Bruticus! Sigh FP really shot that one through the roof.

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I passed that one too, as well as Shadow Command Megatron, hated the figures, so even though they're gong for crazy prices, I don't really feel much regret :p 

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    My solution would be to throw a tarp over him and tie him to the roof.

6. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Striker Optimus Prime,missed the Pre Order

7. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got into collecting very late, like within the last two years so I missed out on a bunch of stuff. XD But I do remember passing up HA Barricade when I saw him at Walmart for like $25 or something like that in 2009-10. Paid considerably more than that a few months ago on eBay for him after I fell hard for the character (whom I didn't much care for at first in TFTM). HA Barricade easily goes for over $100 on eBay today (thank god I didn't pay that much for him).

Recently? There was a crapload of United Straxus (Straxi?) at Yodobashi Akiba in Tokyo, Japan when I was there days ago, and even saw him here and there in other stores in Nagoya. Passed on him in favor of a second TFPrime Vehicon. I'm sure I'll regret that decision later. XD

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast wars metals ravage.

Every Botcon toy I don't have

9. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Skywarp vs Ultra Magnus classic sets. Should have picked up more than one.

10. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I feel that way now about generations Thundercracker. My Taeget had plenty in the shelves, then they ran the sale in December and they went through the 30+ generations in one weekend and I missed him.

11. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

many Classics... (but I got some recently, still they're not cheap and also hard to get)...
    Movie 07 Ratchet had me more than 2 years searching for him (btw, Desert Tracker Ratchet from ROTF never arrived here...) until I got him for a bit more than its original price u.u
    BW Magnaboss!!! I wanted that one SO much when I was a kid... my mom didn't had the money moment, so she wanted to buy it to me some weeks later... but it wasn't anymore... and finally I got it! complete with box and stuff!

12. jjd1981

jjd1981 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me they consisted of Classics Ultra Magnus/Skywarp and Classics Devastator. Those are the ones I kick myself for. At one point I had the opportunity to pickup each set for 10 bucks each and I could have bought 4 or more of each! I just didn't think the line would carry on, nor did I think that they would end up being worth so much today.

I can live with others I missed out on as at those points I could not afford the purchases, but those 2 man, I could bought multiples and 3 years later sold them on ebay so I could have later bought the figures I missed out on with Alternators and Cybertron!

13. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Yeah, always kick myself that I didn't pick up a couple of the Skywarp v Ultra Magnus sets, and a couple of Classics Mirage. Both were cheap back in the day. Could have got an Aveo Swerve back in the day if only I'd been quicker about it.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Looks like I might have just missed DotM Guzzle, who suddenlt vanished from all the stores this week. I guess I'll know after awhile. Damn Wreckers :p 

I should have bought the FP Protector trailer, but I thought the Takara Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy would eliminate my desire for one. I also should have got the RotF Bruticus Maximus and the FP kit for that, but I was happy with the full Energon set at the time. Turns out I just really like upgrade kits.

15. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Classics Cliffjumper and HA Barricade. Sigh.

16. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Passing up on all of the telemocha figures on clearance over here in japan a few years back, the prices have shot up high since then. Same for most of the henkei and a encore metroplex for 3000 yen.

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Ooh, I missed Cliffy that way too. AGAIN, changed my mind too late because of an upgrade kit. I'm going to have start buying anything I think could be awesome if someone made a fix for it.

18. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    None really - I tend to be quite picky and on top of that do alot of research on a toy before buying, out of the things I pass up on I am very sure that they don't fit my collection.

I guess things might have been different if I collected in order to turn a profit, but as it stands they are solely for my personal enjoyment.

19. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    WSTs. I do have some, but I wish I was into them more when a complete set was easy and not too expensive to buy.

20. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

RID is my favorite non-G1 series and Brave Max is the only figure that appeared in the show that I still need (I can pass on the transparent car brothers and spychangers). The ironic thing is I have a Fort Max (even have the Master Sword) and a complete Grand Maximus yet it is Brave Max, the less rare of the 3, that I don't have.

My biggest regret though is from M.A.S.K. I had the chance to buy over 30 complete M.A.S.K. vehicles for about $200 but I was short on funds at the time.