Transformers won against Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by megacron, May 8, 2007.

1. megacron

megacron THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!

16.:D 

2. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    I would have to say this might be a tie, harry potter has that dreamy magical feel, while transformers has that mechnanical techish feel. So basically Im 50/50.

3. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

I think people are letting their preferences cloud their judgement. Obviously, we're here as Transformers fans. Regardless, there's nothing worse than a blind fanboy, whether it's a toyline, car manufacturer, computer operating system, etc.

Harry Potter is bigger to children than I think most people realize. It caused a mini revolution in many countries by making it trendy for kids to read, something that hasn't been the case for many years. The revenues are beyond comprehension. As a franchise, it has no competition. It's heads and shoulders above the mighty Star Wars franchise in terms of popularity right now, and we're in a between period in books and movies (though both media are ramping up for a release). The franchise has a wider-spread appeal thanks to the author's country of origin as well: whereas American children's franchises tend to be feel-good only (the many deaths in the original TF movie not withsdanding), Harry Potter deals with darker subject matter at times, thus opening the door to an older audience.

Transformers would do well just to make a splash with the upcoming competition. Whether you think it will win in box office sales or not is irrelevant- the simple fact is: it won't. It probably won't even be close. Enjoy it for what it is: the first mass-market Transformers offering in twenty years. If it opens the door to more, that's fantastic. It's not going to compete with Harry Potter in terms of volume, nor was that the intention.

4. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

I can't stand Harry Potter either. If I'm gonna go the sorcery route I want something more substantial and that I can bite into like LOTR. Harry Potter is way too kiddy for me. People don't mind supporting the boy yet they turn around and label Transformers as just a kids toy.

Also, I've only noticed adult females reading the Harry Potter books. Not adult males. Maybe there are some dudes out there who dig it but I haven't seen any.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry Potter beats TF in the boxoffice outright.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    As has already been pointed out, America isn't theonly country in the world.
    Getting stale. Yeah. About that.
    Amazon announced yesterday that they have taken over one million preorders for the final HP book. So you keep telling yourself that.
    Best summer movie you HAVEN'T SEEN YET? WOW. Surely THE least relevant award in history. (and that's saying something).
    Personally I'll be going to see both movies. Oh, and I already have my preorder for the final HP book in.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Its good to see that younger people are into Transformers as well and its not just us old, fatherly types.

7. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

8. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

We're not doubting, just thinking realisticly. Transformers will probably do exceptionally well, but it just won't beat out Spidey, Harry, and Shrek. Pirates 3 I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I saw the Harry Potter 3 trailer that was attached to Spidey 3. Looked like shit.

9. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That could be so, but at least Transformers could have a successful opening weekend before Harry Potter 5 is released.

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread makes me sad inside.

11. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    It makes me sad all over :( 

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I actually find it hilarious.

13. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spider-man 3 has just broken all sorts of records for movies, it's crazy to think that Transformers will do better than it.

Shrek 3 is a hugely popular series of movies that can appeal to both parents and children, it will do well (although from what i've heard it sounds like it's not going to be great at all, and well, i'm rather over Shrek, way too much merchandise).

Harry Potter 5 - it's Harry Potter, kids will lap it up no matter what's in it. However, I don't think it'll be as big as Spiderman3/POTC3. Parents will also be dragged along to see this by their children.

Pirates of the Carribean 3 - Big franchise (and also the final film in the franchise) which appeals to most teenagers, the boys for the swashbuckling action, the girls for Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom. Kids also like this movie, it'll definately be big.

Simpsons - come ON! It's the frickin Simpsons in a movie, this movie will probably squish spidey's record. The Simpsons is a GIGANTIC international hit that's been around 18 years, EVERYONE knows it.

Transformers is truely the underdog of the summer. It's probably also got the smallest target audience as well, as the others are all family/kid friendly movies while Transformers going to appeal towards boys, there's not going to be a lot of interest from mothers/females. They'd much prefer to see Shrek or something else, TF is quite 'macho' in that respect. Also, as others have said, The other movies of the summer are all continuations of previously popular movies.

However, lets not forget that TF had the most downloaded trailer ever, outranking Spider-man 3. While I highly doubt this means it'll outdo S3 in the box office, it does mean that there's a lot of interest. Here's what I think we'll see as top films:

Simpsons
    POTC 3
    Spider 3
    Harry Potter 5
    Shrek 3
    Transformers
    Die Hard 4
    FF4 2

14. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Good lord, are they STILL making Simpsons?
    I'd hoped that it'd have died when Futurama (which was actually watchable) was canned.

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Where have you been? Simpsons is still going. And as weird as it's gotten it's still pretty strong. And Fururama's coming back. They're making new episodes for Adult Swim.

16. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I'm sorry but the Transformers would get slaughtered by Harry Potter if they opened the same weekend.

17. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Luckily Transformers opens up a week before Harry Potter 5, so we don't have to worry about them competing for opening weeking.

18. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

You better damn well hope TF puts up Potter numbers. Potter is a rung below the Spider-Man/POTC/Shrek juggernauts. Only the first movie cracked $300M, the rest all fell between $250-300M, with HP3, the only other one to come out in the summer, making the least. HP5 will almost certainly get a boost from the book hype, however.

If TF doesn't crack $200M, it's going to be considered a relative flop. $200-250M will justify it's existence and warrant a sequel. $250-300M = solid success. Over $300M = bottles of champagne being popped over at the Dreamworks offices. Over $400M = well, probably a snowball fight in hell. Unlike all the other franchises with crunchable numbers to play with, there's no way to tell how well it will do, only how well it needs to do.

19. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Personally I think License To Wed will win July 4th opening weekend.

Ahem.

20. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

You're just jealous you can't be the One True Fan, Vangelus.