Transformers won against Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by megacron, May 8, 2007.

1. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

The things I've heard about the people behind Heavy Gear.... yikes. They really ran the franchise into the ground, not as bad as Paladium and Rifts but still bad.

Sadly, I can only picture Battletech/Mechwarrior license going to B-movie/straight-to-DvD people or at the best small studios/subsidiaries who can't afford to put the necessary funding behind it to trully make it work (talk about $50 or bellow budgets here).

Now Macross/Robotech on the other hand, is a nuke waiting to explode. So much potential and without the fanaticism found in -- say, EVA. Also, Patlabor has alot of potential just because of the realistic approach to mech while Gundam would have a much harder time to adapt.

And why limit it to giant robots? Appleseed would be an excellent franchise to tackle combining sci-fi and mech. Heck, Bubblegum Crisis with it's combination of babes and mech has much more potential (to either excel or bomb big).

I also hope Gobots gets picked up by B-movie people, I seriously would love to see that.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well, I have been collecting\watching\reading Transformers for 23 years so I would consider myself a fan.

Again, I state that I don't care if Transformers is the highest grossing film of the summer or even the weekend. I just hope it does well enough to justify more movies.

A lot of people seem interested in Transformers.
    A lot of people seem disinterested in another Harry Potter movie.
    It could happen -who knows?
    I do know that there seems to be more cool movies coming out this summer than I can remember in a long time. Maybe they'll have a synergistic effect and people will go to the movies more often this summer.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Rules of posting on a message board, #7:
    Never play the "true fan" card.*

*Except Vangelus, more correctly referred to as "The One True Fan".

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't understand how this thread got so large, but Harry Potter is a money machine.

A-HRM. *cough cough*

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

It's just not feasible for Transformers to beat out Harry Potter at the box office. I haven't really read the thread so forgive me if some of these points have already been made.

Harry Potter really just has a stronger base to work with then Transformers does. Harry Potter's books and movies BRIDGE age and generational gaps. Transformers doesn't really have the same effect. Harry Potter's books and movies you see the characters grow up and change mentally and physically. In Transformers the series gets rebooted every year so characterization is kind of a non-issue. With the Beast series being the exception.

Will Transformers be a good movie definitely I've got no doubts about it, but it won't be "Beat out Harry Potter at the box office good

And you are? Sorry but I just don't recognize you ;) 

6. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The confusion is natural, for most. Even Hercules was in shock when he first found himself standing before the face of Zeus.

7. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Never let it be said that Vangelus is short on self-esteem :lol 

8. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I dont know, Harry Potter's movies are getting better every year. At least that's what I think. I enjoy more the last 2. and with Voldemort in this one...jojojo. I got to see that.
    You know who will win this? the audience. XD

9. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I expect to like the TF movie, but I think it will be lucky to crack the top 5 this year. When I went to see S3 the lobby of the cineplex was FULL of promos. They had a full size Simpsons living room with statues of the Simpsons, a life size Silver Surfer on his board for FF2, TONS of promos for Harry 5, Pirates 3, and Shrek 3, Die Hard, even promo stuff for that surfing penguin movie was everywhere, yet not a single piece of TF promo material anywhere. We see a lot of hype HERE because...well...it's a Transformer fan site, but the theaters see this and lump it in with the Turtles movie...they aren't expecting it to do well and they aren't pushing it hard from what I've seen.

As others have said, I'm not sure it needs to be anywhere in the top 5 to be considered a success. The franchises that are hitting this summer are a tough act to compete with

10. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Because reality is good. With it you look less insane (most of the time).

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Edited.
    He's the One True Fan. Bow your head, peon.

12. megacron

megacron THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!

pokemon is a money machine not harry potter and transformers is....amazing

13. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

And don't for get the Ferengi rules of acquisition #7 "Keep your ears open."

14. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I can boycott seeing any HARRY POTTER film for the rest of eternity, that I guarentee!

15. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude, Harry Potter has enormous midnight pre-releases with massive crowds and press coverage for a printed paper novel in the 21st century. And a concurrently running series of 2+ hour movies.

It's got a black belt in chaching-fu.

Pokemon and Transformers do as well! But Harry Potter's hype machine is simply more hugemongous.

DISCLAIMER: The above has nothing to do with whether or not Vangelus personally likes the related subject matter.

16. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

The TF movie is gonna be cooler though :D 

17. megacron

megacron THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!

yes it is!

18. Optimal-T

Optimal-T Metroplex's Sidekick

Are you for real?

Because I do see this version of the Transformers movie making headwaves in the North American market. Harry Potter is getting old and stale while the Transformers is slowly gaining momentum.

They're even up for an MTV Movie award for Best Summer Movie You Haven't Seen Yet. You can't tell me that this movie isn't going to do as well, if not better, than Hary Potter is.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    No one said that it is not going to make waves.
    I think everyone agrees that it will. Personally, I already think it has made waves and will continue to.
    Most just express doubt that it will financially earn more than Harry Potter.
    And why does it need to?
    If Harry Potter makes more money does that mean the Transformers movie was bad?

That is kind of cool, but MTV is no longer a relevant look at nor a reflection of young society. They haven't been for years. Don't believe me? Look at the movies they have Transformers competing with.

To Megacron:
    You were referenced as a kid earlier. Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

20. betetta

betetta guitar face

erm... there is more than one country in the world, you know? :wink: 

and with the final HP book coming days after the movie the HP hype it's at it's highest point right now. no matter how much we want it or how many mtv nominations the TF movie gets, it WON'T do better than HP5 or spiderman 3, or shrek 3, or POTC 3, or the simpsons (maybe). sorry