2D Artwork: Transformers WFC2 C.A.T Ideas

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by scorpio-prime, Jan 5, 2011.

1. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

I've previously posted this idea in the WFC forum, but as that forum is dead, and I've created some simplistic artwork to better illustrate what I had in mind, I figured I'd be fine reposting it here.

Basically, imagine that you have a base model for each class, all of which transform in a simplistic, G1 esque fashion. Using the Scientist class as an example, picture the standard Decepticon model as resembling Starscream, his transformation being as simple as his chest cockpit folds up over his head (though some cockpit designs sit on your upper back in robot mode), his arms tuck into his sides, his legs fold up into his chest to form the undercarriage, and finally the wings flip back to complete the transformation. To make those basic transformations more interesting, you can choose the acrobatics used when changing form. Whilst the mechanics remain the same, you can have your character perform a barrel roll, a somersault, a backflip or even a breakdance (which would look funny for a tank?) as they transform to name just a few of the animations, further adding to your custom characters personality.

By keeping the mechanics of transformation simple, you open up a wide range of options to start customising with. You have four areas on your Transformer you can customize - head, torso, arms and legs, and Soldiers and Scientists also have a 'special' area (lulz) covering their respective wings, cockpits and turrets - its simply a case of choosing from say, 5-6 different parts for each region you want to change, then mixing and matching them to create your character.

After you've built them, you can individually colour them by area (colours are no longer restricted by faction, and you still have your HUD to tell you who your enemies are in multiplayer), and each area is broken up into four sections, all of which can be seperately coloured, so if you want a transformer with a red upper body and blue lower, or black body with white head, or a camo green tank with luminous pink turret, or some hideous technicolour monstrosity to blind your enemies online, then you can have them!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apologies for my limited artistic skills, but the above pic shows how even following such a simplistic and modular system as I've described, its possible to create large numbers of instantly recognisable characters - I honestly reckon that with a little imagination, there are very, very few characters from any TF continuity you couldn't represent in some fashion.

It would certainly be a far more deep, enjoyable and rewarding experience than just recolouring the in game bots from a woefully limited palette...

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

• TF2.jpg
      TF2.jpg
      File size:
      290.2 KB
      Views:
    • TFs.jpg
      TFs.jpg
      File size:
      93 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. scorpio-prime

Looks like this ideas around 6 months too late to be of interest...

3. SpeedFreak01

SpeedFreak01 Well-Known Member

Hmm... An interesting concept, that would make the customisation process a lot more, um....customisey. Go to High Moon Studios now!

4. scorpio-prime

If you've ever played any of the WWE games, you'll know that the customisation feature plays a massive part in the overall appeal of the experience - were such a thing properly introduced into this franchise, I honestly reckon it could propel a TF game to new heights of success.

...anyway, any suggestions for other characters I could create folks?

5. SpeedFreak01

Well, for characters, why not some Soldiers? It would be cool to see a tank that doesn't transform in the same way as about 50 bazilion other tanks....

6. scorpio-prime

But the whole idea behind this system is that its kept as simple as possible, to allow for maximum customisation. The more complex you make the transformations, the less flexibility you have swapping parts around.

I'd imagine the Soldiers tank transformations to be as simple as the legs lock together and slide up into the torso, the arms tuck into the sides, the head slides down into the chest and the whole thing lies on its front to complete the transformation. Not massively exciting mechanics wise, but because the chest would be totally hidden under the tank (and thusly not need to integrate with any other part of the design), you could have some really intriguing designs available, like Bludgeons samurai armour, and even an obviously female one for Strika.

7. SpeedFreak01

Yeah, I guess you're right. Still, some tanks would be cool! And maybe some Swindle parts for the Leader class, and Blast Off parts for the Scientist class!

8. scorpio-prime

Would you have Swindle turn into a Truck? Some might say he's more of a Scout, but still, you could do either - simply create either a Truck or Car body, colour it mustard and purple, then give it a black head with large purple eyes and voila! You have Swindle.

Blast Off would also be very easy to do - you'd simply take my Misfire design (the pink one bottom centre), swap his cockpit for a fat shuttle-esque one (which could also be used for Astrotrain), give him a square head with a faceplate then finally colour the whole thing brown, black and purple.

9. scorpio-prime

Added a few of the ideas from the previous post to the gallery.

10. SpeedFreak01

Wow, nice designs!

11. scorpio-prime

Thanks, they're very addictive to make once you get going - any ideas for other characters I could design this way are welcome.

12. SpeedFreak01

OK....Grimlock as a Soldier, Swoop as a Scientist and Blurr and Drift as Scouts.