Transformers Way Ahead of Their Time

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tm Tarantulas, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    what transformers that came out do you think were more advanced then the others in the line?

for me, i think energon starscream and mirage were wayy ahead of their line

2. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Armada Bendy Prime was better than most of the Armada and Energon vehicles his size, and fit in well with the Cybertron line.

3. FartRipper67

FartRipper67 Well-Known Member

G1 Soundwave, he still holds his own against modern figured.

4. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Armada Unicron was way ahead of his time, IMO.

5. paramedicprime

paramedicprime Well-Known Member

optimal optimus

6. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    i agree!

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    G1 Jetfire.

Admittedly that's because it was a Valkyrie and whatnot, but still.

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I don't own him, but apparently Energon Starscream has the same transformation and articulation as G2 Smokescreen/BW Neo Starscream/Smokesniper/Smokejumper. Just a different mold.

Now THAT'S ahead of its time.

G2 Laser Prime, also.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, the only change in the transformation is the leg panel rotation.

10. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G2 Cyberjets! Toy-wise, way ahead. Deco-wise, stuck in the 90's.

[​IMG]

11. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

The Car Bros from RID.
    Prowl, Side Burn and X-Brawn.

They were almsot like predecessors to the movie toy's level of engineering.

12. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    ROTF Prime, Armada Unicron, etc.

13. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

Universe Cyclonus is at least 5 years ahead of all the other Universe figures, engineering/design wise.

It does everything right, and there is really no kibble, nothing is wasted.

14. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel Optimal Optimus helped pioneer the Leader class, plus he's awesome.

I also think BWneo Big Convoy was pretty advanced, transformation wise and gimmick wise. As far as I know its the first convoy to come with a removable matrix.

15. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

cybertron optimus

16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    G1 Jetfire- Even the most advanced Transformer jet by Haskaromy(MP Starscream mold) has more underside kibble than G1 Jetfire. Not to mention, it would take 2 decades before a Transformer by Haskaromy finally topped the level of articulation that G1 Jetfire had. Even till this day, mass market Transformer jets cannot compare to G1 Jetfire.

Laser Rod Optimus Prime- This figure raised the bar for Optimus Prime figures, a Prime arguably unsurpassed until Fire Convoy/RID Prime came along. The modern Prime we had been waiting for, this design not only incorporated full articulation for the 1st time on an Optimus Prime figure but also an all new trailer armed to the teeth. As cool as Classics Prime is, he doesn't even have an official trailer. Or a sword. *BTW this isn't knocking Classics Prime I actually like that figure a lot* This figure was the definitive Optimus(from a main line) until Classics Prime came out. Even so, Classics Prime does not outdo him in every category, and Laser Rod still has relevance today.

Optimus Primal- This figure incorporated numerous gimmicks involving hidden/stored weapony without any sacrifice nor compromise of articulation whatsoever. In comparison he faired far better than his rival, Trex Megatron. Till this day I still think Primal is one of the best Beast Wars figures ever made, even though I didn't appreciate the figure as much when I 1st bought it. It's one of the most thought out figures I have ever come across.

G2 Cyberjets- These figures were toycrack plain and simple. Jets + retractable landing gear + ball joints/super poseability + cheap price=EPIC WIN. The Cyberjets were some of my favorite Transformers from G2 and even now I wish they were readily available(or something like them in the newest TF lines). It also helped that they were very fun to play with. Well done and not hurtful on the wallet!

Classic Jetfire- Just when everyone thought that the closest we would get to a cartoon Skyfire figure was that tiny Energon Skyblast, came the resin prototype images of Classics Jetfire in 2006. Despite not having swivel elbows or thighs, this figure had full articulation and has the most cartoon Skyfire influenced design of all Jetfire figures. It managed to combine design influence from not only G1 Jetfire the toy and G1 Skyfire from the cartoon, but also Jet Silver from Silverion, a combiner robot from the Braves series, also made by Takara! Sure it's jet mode is not as sleek as G1 Jetfire's, and the arm articulation lacks bicep swivels, which G1 Jetfire had, but for a modern homage to Jet/Skyfire, this figure is incredible. Could it have been better? Certainly. Yet It would be hard for me to list any Classics figure that was more fun to play with. To be honest the underside kibble and arms to the sides doesn't bother me as much as the cockpit. I wish it had more of a jet style cockpit like that on Jet Silver(which was an F-14 cockpit), but this will do and I can see why it was blocky, it's an homage to Skyfire's animation design. The fact that the armor does more than the original's armor did, and the fact that Classics Jetfire can be configured in armored and unarmored modes increases the playability. It is also the most detailed Classics mold I've seen, with panel lines all over the place. I ink washed mine for weathering and it looks even better. So much detail. It doesn't completely outdo G1 Jetfire but it's one hell of a modern Jetfire toy, and the fact that it takes after the G1 Jetfire toy and cartoon Skyfire is awesome.

Animated Cybertronian deluxe Optimus Prime- What started as a purchase in an effort to avoid having to track this figure down later on, ended up being one of my favorite purchases of 2008. This figure is toycrack too, and very fun to pose. Hasbro proved that they could still make super articulated figures, even of highly styalized characters. The end result is one of my favorite Transformers Animated figures and one of the best figures of 2008. It is arguably the best Animated Optimus figure out there.

Transformers Movie Optimus Prime- This figure was the 1st mass market Optimus Prime figure made in leader size. What we ended up with was a somewhat "clean" truck mode, without too many give aways that this thing transformed. A heavy figure, this version of Prime had some of the best automorph gimmicks in the line, and was notoriously hard to find during 2007. Actually it was ridiculously hard to find. Was it worth hunting down? YES! Admittedly I did not like the design at all in the months prior to TF1's premiere when the toy was revealed, full color in magazines and online. When I saw more prerelease images, I became intrigued and ended up liking it, a LOT. Several points of articulation, an interesting transformation, great shelf presence, and overall sturdiness won me over. I only wish the knees could move back further and that the waist didn't look so thin. Other than that, even though I have the superior ROTF Prime, I still like my leader Primes from TF1(I have regular and the awesome Premium...which I took as an inadvertent homage to Laser Rod Prime). Definitely a fun to play with and display, and arguably the best figure from TF1.

Henkei Megatron- At a time where Megatron as a gun again is highly unlikely again, came not only a gun mold of Megatron but in G1 colors too! I passed on Classics Megatron because of the color but then I saw Henkei Megatron at Otakon 2008 and bought him on sight. The transformation is brilliant, and the colors less offending than the Classics version. We finally had a modernized take on our favorite dictator Decepticon leader, and fully articulated at that! Did we get anything like this in G2? No. We got a purple super articulated tank Megatron which while cool, is not as epic as Henkei Megatron.

Headmasters- A line during G1 which may have been an inadvertent homage to Transformers' Diaclone roots but also increased playability. Just make sure not to lose the heads/pilots! Some of my fondest G1 memories included playing with Brainstorm. Until I lost the head. Even today I still want to see the Headmasters return. Sure we had Armada Overload and Sideways but come on really? Are those the Headmasters us collectors want? No. I want something modernized, super poseable, et al! Some of my favorite designs include Apeface and that other Decepticon triple changer Headmaster. Triple changer + Headmaster=EPIC WIN

Beast Wars Transmetal 2 Tigerhawk- This figure came with a retractable armored mask, neat gimmicks that like Primal, did not compromise articulation at all, a high level of sturdiness and an incredible amount of detail. It looks fantastic even as the Razorclaw repaint from the 1st Universe line. To see Tigatron upgraded into THAT is just...well, mindblowing. It's like him on steroids!

Animated Shockwave- 1 figure is essentially 4 toys! The switch from Autobot to Decepticon hasn't really been a gimmick implemented well on Transformers, but then this guy came out. Wow. Going from 1 allegiance to another via transformation is a nearly seamless endeavor and impressive at that! I could not help but be surprised at how well this figure turned out. It was also great to see how different Shockwave is from Long Arm in robot mode. Well executed, and full articulation is retained! I just wish some of the joints had more ratchets/detents for more stability.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  17. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

G1 Soundwave (if only he had forward-bending knees), and even more so the G1 cassettes. The cassettes in particular hold their own against modern figures better than any other G1 figure (and they were even PRE-G1.... very impressive!).

G1 Shockwave isn't too shabby.

G1 Perceptor and G1 Hun-Grrr would pretty much BE Classics figures if only they had a couple more joints around the shoulders and rotating heads. Actually, maybe Hun-grrr does have a rotating head.... I can't remember, and mine isn't accessible to check.

And yeah, as folks have mentioned, the Cyberjets were great. So was Laser Prime, though he really could have used a thigh pivot.

Not sure I would say that Bendy Prime and Unicron were so much AHEAD of their time, as I would say that the rest of Armada was BEHIND its time. They just stood out as the diamonds in the rough.

18. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    As has been said, G1 Jetfire was a TF miles ahead of it's time. I believe G1 Wreck-Gar was also the first figure with ball-joints - & for a 1986 figure, that's gotta say something. :) 

19. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I know that RiD was a huge step BACKWARD.

20. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Are you serious?

----------------
    A figure not mentioned by any of you is of course Classics Mirage. I remember when the first shots came out that people disliked the robot mode but liked the vehicle, and then I got one and was just blown away by the articulation. He was only somewhat matched by Hound a good 2 years later at that pricepoint. That tells you a lot.

RID Prime and RID Megatron. I got both after I had gotten Armada Prime and Megatron and thought "really? These came out in that order?". Tons of articulation points you'd never expect, and the toys are like 9 years old at the moment and can still hold up very nicely.

BW Neo Big Convoy. This guy took what BW Primal offered and took it a few levels ahead. Tons of integrated weaponry, awesome articulation not matched by his peers and even a removable matrix,which was used again 4 years later on MP Prime.

That's all I can think of now...