2D Artwork: Transformers: War Journal

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by TF Mosaic, Dec 30, 2007.

1. TF Mosaic

TF Mosaic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers: War Journal.
    Story: John-Paul Bove
    Script: John-Paul Bove, Josh van Reyk & Jon Stone.
    Art: Tom Parish, Casey Coller, Matt C. Adams, Shane Anderson, Richard Cookson, Stanley Chou, John Flores, Jon Stone, Stavros Kundromichalis, Jeremy Tiongson & Evan Gauntt.
    Colors: John-Paul Bove.
    Letters: Bernie Lee.
    Covers: Josh Burcham, Tom Parrish, Kent Lin.
    Sketch Cover: Andrew Wildman.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, here we are. HUGE thanks to all the talented artists who have contributed to this project; all of your hard work has made this comic so much more that I ever imagined. Special thanks to both John-Paul Bove and Bernie Lee for their amazing work and dedication, without them this project would not nearly be as “professional.” Extra special thanks to both Andrew Wildman and Josh Burcham for their contributions. I have been very blessed to have been involved in this project and am extremely amazed with how this has turned out.

I hope you all enjoy reading this piece, as much as I have helping to create it.

- Josh van Reyk

2. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    Congratulations guys! It's been a pleasure to watch this great project come into fruition behind the scenes.

I'm proud of you all, take a bow. I'm glad everyone can now enjoy the months of hard work you all put into this comic!

I'd also like to take this opportunity to instigate a round of applause to Andrew Wildman for contributing that Hot Spot sketch cover!

Take a moment to check out the Draw The World charity noted on that cover here:
    http://drawtheworldtogether.wordpress.com/welcome/

3. darksage78

darksage78 Maximal

Awesome stuff man =D

4. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    incredible

5. Rick_Coronel

Rick_Coronel Owner of many customs

Ebay:
    :jawdropper:  I love it.

Where can I buy it.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very awesome overall, but a few observations: Page 4 with "Keep em coming, this is how it's done" looks really out of place. Poor Minerva. But I was kind of annoyed that First Aid cried like a baby so much over her. The panel where Rewind shoots Blastoff could of been better, couldn't really tell he got a shot off. The page with Superion, one second the aerialbots are near death, then a panel later they are formed as Superion? Should of had more panels to illustrate the construction, but I like the idea of his being formed to save their lives. The panel where First Aid calls the Decepticons, I couldn't tell who that was in the monitor. Looked like Grimlock, but obviously it wasn't. With such a depressing set of events building up to the final battle charge, it would of been nice to know the outcome of that battle...instead of leaving it hanging like that.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Overall, it's awesome for a collection of fan art. The writing is good, albeit a bit too angsty for my tastes. Still, better than Megatron: Origin or any of the IDW Beast Wars stuff. Here I actually get a FEEL for the individual characters. I understand their motivations, their fears and weaknesses. Generally, a surprisingly well-done piece.

The spelling of "Defence" made it glaringly obvious where the writer comes from, though. ;) 

8. TF Mosaic

News Credits:
    I can understand wehre you're coming from. It was so hard to fit all the individual stories into single pages.

9. TF Mosaic

News Credits:
    Thanks. We really wanted to focus on the individual characters, hence why we only really used about 5.

About the writters; two from the U.K. and one from Australia. :) 

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very nice.

11. wordmongerer

wordmongerer Active Member

The one difference between this and a regular comic is that it's really lots of 1 page stories that build into another bigger story, which is why there's the odd jump in time and place. The construction of Superion was not the point of that story, but the lengths to which First Aid was willing to go to save a life (too far in fact) was the point of that page.

It was Onslaught, leader of the Combaticons, it was originally meant to be Swindle as he made the most sense as a deal maker but then he was used in IDW's comics so we switched. In fact it was meant to be a G2 Decepticon at one point and then he was clocked in Megatron Origin... as dead...

Always leave them wanting... The last few pages are actually about hope, and you only need it when you don't really know what's coming next. But the title of the last page being a homage to Charge of the Light Brigade should give you a literary clue as to what probably happened next...

12. wordmongerer

wordmongerer Active Member

You can always send me cash... ;) 

13. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I'm glad to finally see this project see the light of day! I've been looking forward to seeing everyone's art. I think John-Paul's coloring really holds all the varying styles together to help keep the story cohesive. I know he made my pages look very good, particularly the planet on page 13. Way to go!

That's my bad. I was trying to get a head-on angle so the outcome of Rewind's attempted shot wouldn't be immediately apparent, but it could have been improved. Still, it's apparent what he's trying to do, which is shoot back at Blast Off, and he's none too confident about it, so the point of the panel comes across.

14. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, This feels like it is supposed to be like 20 mosaics that cover the same peroid of time in a loose story and not a 20-page story.

I think it was done very well!

15. gunman_sr5

gunman_sr5 Energon Station Comander

News Credits:
    I have no complaints. Great work to everyone involved!

16. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

That was amazing! Loved every minute of it.

17. Admiral Lilwall

Admiral Lilwall Lilwall Leader

awesome work, grats

18. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it very much. not perfect, but what is? great collaboration efforts guys.

19. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

now i have another thing i want to read and find out what will happen next

thank you shane you made me addicted to this one too

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    loved the bit where slingshot took it in the face.

and great literary reference there with COTLB, thx for that, i love stuff like this and the open ended yet hopeful ending makes this piece.