Transformers vs Visionaries #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by HeroicC300, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

But didn't the read the post about what the editors decided? Killing Kup is how we know this is important!
    You mean the Refugees who just hositlely terraformed part of the planet? Who have an item that is threatening to make the planet uninhabitable to the Transformers? And one more thing I'm about to get to? They are running a fine line between refugees and invaders.

And something we haven't talked about. Merklynn's narration makes it clear the whole reason they need a new Prysmos is because he botched the spell to make technology not work. Meaning he fucked his homeworld and everyone up twice. Oh and this new one woke Unicron up. All because Merklynn is a bitch who needs to feel important. Shit I kinda want a MLP crossover now just so Twilight Sparkle can kick his ass. Because he deserves to be humiliated by a pastel pony kicking his ass by being better with magic.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry guys, but I didn't give a frag about Kup dying, hell IronHide could have died with him, becusce he was being so d@mn annoying, but I like the art and how the story isn't wasting any time.

3. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Oh god now that you point it out, the Unicron Apocalypse is going to happen because of Visionaries. Fuck, man.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Flashformers

Flashformers Will draw for Grand Galvatron

Actually, this issues is a good starter for this miniseries. As someone who knows nothing about Visionaries, I'm surprised to figure out most things about the newly introduced characters. I have no problems with the writing, it's solid and helps kick off a new group in this universe in a way that doesn't seem too contrived or awkward.

The deal with magic affecting Cybertronians isn't a big deal either. No one cries foul when Superman is harmed by magic weapons, so the same should apply here. Cybetronians haven't dealt with magic before, so this opens an interesting dynamic, especially involving a volatile race that can actually damage Cybertronians to a significant degree.

The shocking ending? This is debatable, as it does serve the purpose of setting up a central conflict between the Visionaries and Transformers, but should it have been Kup? On one hand, his story acs are complete, so him dying in this scenario is not completely out of place. However, it is true that killing a character of prominence in what amounts to a side story is somewhat strange. I'm alright with this playing out, but I'll look out for the second issue before I can fully judge.

5. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not only that but one of their representatives just attacked and violently murdered a peace representative without provocation....these 'refugees' should be treated just as hostile...that is an act of war...refugee or not

it's an assassination and whatever the artifact is doing is basically terrorism if a visionary is making it happen

at this point i hope none of the visionaries survive...back to your pit of nostalgic obscurity. dilly dilly

• Like Like x 8
  6. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

I know! And to make matters funnier, the Talisman does convert cybertron, and it's still Primus in this setting, that means they killed the big good too! And sheesh between this and the other major magic users being the Dire Wraiths, you have to wonder if Magic is just inherently evil or something in IDW.
    The problem is the ham handed killing of Kup there and the clear editoral mandate that it was done to make this crossover look important just overshadows all of that.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Ah yes, because when one person from a group of people commits a crime, that means everyone from that group is guilty. That makes sense.

8. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    get a little less offended and be a little more realistic virulina is not just 'one person' she's a representative of at least half the race involved. she LEADS one whole faction. a faction that seemed all to eager to wipe out the cybertronians earlier this issue. that's not just some random person that's one armys general assassinating another armys general.

you don't think in a UN meeting if the north korean representative got up and shot the united states representative dead that wouldn't be an act of war? are you serious here??

• Like Like x 6
  9. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Traditionally, the masses don't get to elect their "knights" and "lords".

10. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Oh, I liked Revolution, it just wasn't as good as it could have been. Being the result of an editorial mandate might have something to do with that.

I did read Revolutionaries, too. Fun book, slightly hampered now by being a glorified bridge between Revolution and First Strike.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Well, for one, Virulina does not lead “half” the people of New Prysmos. Not everyone from the planet belongs to one of the two factions of Visionaries. It’s clear based on some shots that a lot of them are civilians. Of course Virulina’s actions are an act of war. But that doesn’t mean the Transformers should murder all the Prysmosians, which your original post implied.

12. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I am not a fan of IDW's affection for killing off characters but if it fits naturally and adds genuine weight to a story then I can accept it. However, when you kill off a popular character, and then on the next page say you only did it for the sake of killing someone and it didn't matter who, it taints the whole thing.

However it is a decent read and hopefully it can really kick start Visionaries. Overall I enjoyed it and it's just a shame that the final page overshadows everything else - particularly the Visionaries themselves.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Stupid question, but what´s stopping, I dunno, the cybertronians of just sicking Devastator, Bruticus or Menassor on these guys?

• Like Like x 1
  14. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Or all 3 at once

• Like Like x 2
  15. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    The latter two are in Jail, so who knows if Windblade with be willing to let them out and don’t know about Devastator.

But if magic is that effective against Transformers, I fear that even a Combiner will loose that fight if one manages to land a hit.

16. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In my original post I said visionaries not prysmosians...

I was clear what I meant you're the one that saw an implication that wasnt there. I said they should treat the refugees as hostile which doesn't necessarily mean murdering them. The visionaries however....

And for all we know she does lead half the race. There are two unique factions whos to say the population isn't just as split with some following the knights and others the lords?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

Also WTF is with magic being able to crumble Transformers now? The Dire Wraiths weren't able to do that, so is this a retcon or simply just a thing the Visionaries/Talisman magic can do?

• Like Like x 1
  18. dragon_lord

dragon_lord great dragon god

I felt the same way when they made Star Saber a religious zealot.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that's just the Visionaries' particular form of magic.

I was thrilled to see that Darkstorm statue in his classic armor. Good to see that the Visionaries were once recognizable in this new mythos.

Unfortunately, there were no spell poems or animal totems...yet.

• Like Like x 1
  20. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wasn't one of the visionaries spells an aging one or a rapid decay type thing? looks to me like breakdown and kup were rusting to death.

i agree i don't think it's magic in general i think it's just that type of magic was particularly effective