Transformers vs Visionaries #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by HeroicC300, Jan 2, 2018.

1. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    I wasn't expecting such salt....

I mean, it's a great comic issue but I don't know my visionaries so I just figured Icing Kup was the goal of the villains to destabilize any chance at peace

2. Nook

Nook Well-Known Member

I just don't like this at all. I am hugely disappoint by IDW last few years, I think I will drop my support which makes me like really really sad. I love Transformers and want simple colorful stories like Wreckers, or old MTMTE.

I think it is really time for IDWverse to end or to get back to it's roots :( 

• Like Like x 5
  3. Boatformer

Boatformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The issue is that Kup is a longstanding IDW character with a lot of relationships with other characters and development, and... he gets killed in a manner with no real resonance with his character in a crossover comic. It just feels misplaced - I don't mind Kup dying as such, but not like this.

• Like Like x 6
  4. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Well to be perfectly honest, as far as a character death that will DEFINITELY set off a conflict and cause peace talks to break down, Kup sure is a good choice. Killing the guy everybody on one side respects who was suing for a peaceful approach is definitely one way to instigate a conflict.

Mind, I find it interesting that this era of TF that started in 2012 has made me more interested in stories that DON'T involve fighting than those that do. But then, that's also been a general trend of my interests - action movies are neat and all but I'd rather something that focuses on character.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    When a character exists across multiple stories, their death should serve not just the story, but the character's wider arc as well. This does not.

6. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

Can you post a shot of the editorial?

I believe the clip posted three above yours is a quote from Eugenesis, James Roberts’ fanfic novel.

7. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kup survivied 20 billion years in the Dead Universe but couldn't make it 2 years in the Hasbro Universe.

• Like Like x 14
  8. justiceg

While this all sounds totally terrible, didn’t Kup die the last time in pretty much exactly the same way (death in a tangent mini-series while not being around any characters he had meaningful relationships with)?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boatformer

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Pretty much? It wasn't great there, either.

10. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I've said it before and no one wants to hear it but they have run out of post war stories. Going back to its roots is going back to the classic tf battles. Autobot v decepticon which is what roots would be and not the deep character development that we got in classic mtmte.

Because everyone appears to be sick of the basic premise of transformers and that is surely what a reboot will amount to. If that is indeed what happens because I'm not convinced it will.

11. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Then there's a two page memorial going over his IDW adventures.

Yep.

12. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

There is a vast canvas of post war stories that can be told. That the creative team haven't expanded further is no fault of the concept.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ultramagnus1

They don't seem able to. We had a lot of great stories set post war but what else can they do.? Crossovers which rarely work?

We have had relationships. We have had post war politics and adventuring. We've had some great character studies. What else can they do that would be interesting to fans?

We do have oynx prime liege maximo and probably optimus primal waiting in the wings in addition to Unicron. Are they all going to stand around a chew the proverbial fat? No there will be conflict here.

What I can see happening is a form of beast wars. Of sorts. IDW putting their spin on that particular continuity. After the prime wars and the knights or whatever James has planned with lost light.

I'll embrace that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Oh, that's fine. Conflict is fine. The books have been spinning wheels for sure. I have no interest in going back to the autobot vs Decepticon war, especially rebooting back to status quo.

15. ultramagnus1

I don't think a reboot will happen in a traditional sense.

• Like Like x 1
  16. justiceg

^

Although really given the current sales on the books, I can't blame IDW for thinking that maybe a reboot (or a return to the robots smashing each other) will win people over. Certainly nothing else has at current.

17. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I would still love a Transformers space opera, but not like MTMTE, more about individuals or individual groups interacting with other alien species. Adventures across the wider universe rather than inward looking mythology building. There should be innumerable stories to tell mixing the transformers with their unique background with any alien race you could imagine. It would open up the door to so many diverse storytelling types- horror, exploration, noir. As long as it focused on a manageable cast for each arc there could potentially be no limit.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Yeah, editorally mandated deaths in an attempt to convince us an event is important rarely work out well. They generally come across as a desperate attempt to convince us that this story matters, rather than organic story telling, or something that matters.
    Does it matter? IDW pays lip service to what Hasbro is doing a lot of the time, but isn't really influenced by it. Remember the whole shared universe stuff is IDW's idea.
    Yeah. Look at Beast Wars and the deaths in that. Terrorsaur and Skorpanok go into magma, eh too bad we'll never get Transmetal versions. Dinobots? Wow that was the perfect capper to his arc, it really was the most fitting thing they could do with it, and the ripples would affect the entire rest of the series. Or Transmetal. One episode character, but damn if you didn't feel the tragedy by the end of the episode, and it built the hell out of Silverbolt and Rampage's characters. Depth Charge and Rampage's had some impact because of their history, but was in the ending slaughterfest where it was pretty much "Oh I guess the shows ending cause every badguy is dying. And Tigerhawk, well they were too powerful, cool toy though."

Like how conflict must be meaningful to drive a story, if death is supposed to be a big deal it must also be meaningful. And doing it so you can go "Hey we killed someone, so this is meaningful and mature" isn't.
    Other characters like? No seriously start naming them. Because a lot of incidentals have been offed too, and many secondaries got their chances to shine. And go through the books and count how many all new original characters we've got these days. This isn't like when Rung was the only major cast member that Roberts had come up with. There's a whole bunch of original characters in major roles. Anode, Lug, Velocity, Misteress of the Flame, Etc rather than digging through the existing massive number of Transformers. Some of whom like most the Technobots have been dead a very long time.
    Yeah. It's not just this one thing. There's just been various frustrations building. It's like when Marvel fans get pissed about their latest nothing will ever be the same event. It doesn't help that Transformers is being used to prop up all these other properties that couldn't make it on their own, and it feels like they might be dragging Transformers down.

And it's possible that part of why Kup's death is so irritating is the poor guy's suffered so much. Spend centuries on a planet hallucinating about his dead crewmates, and as it turns out murdering the rescue parties. Set up to be turned into a puppet by Prowl if Prowl wanted someone to listen to him. Turned undead, sucked into the Dead Universe, spends 20 billion years there before Nova Prime turns him into spacebridge, and then finally rescued, and now this. It'd be like if Star Trek DS9 had a random Dominion soldier disintergrate Miles O'Brian in the last episode.
    Yeah. Or at the very least we can avoid Autobots Vs Decepticons again. I mean we've got colony worlds, let's say Caminus and Eukeries start a war between them with everyone else caught in the middle, and Elita-1 manipulating things to her benefit. Or the whole idea of all the other galactic powers teaming up the the Cybertronians that's been building in the background of Roberts stuff. Does it have to go back to the same guys with red faces on them vs guys with purple faces on them that we've seen almost constantly for 30+ years? Heck even the Movies, Cartoons, and net animations are avoiding straight up doing that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Soleron

Ebay:
    i think kup's last words were worse than his death

"don't let it end like this"

what is this, gundam?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Misleading covers are misleading. However, should Ironhide need a new body in the future...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2