Transformers VS System CCG - Feedback& discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by daMooseVS, Jan 24, 2007.

1. daMooseVS

daMooseVS Well-Known Member

Hello all!

Posted a bit earlier about my Transformers VS System project, and while the original thread was pulled for "advertisement", discussion about the cards and system are cool, so I thought I'd post a couple of my "problem children" here and see what you fine folks have to say!

VS Intro -
    For those unfamiliar with VS System, its an awesome system by Upper Deck, essentially combining the simple parts of Magic with some fun new ideas in CCGs and a focus on characters and epic battles between lisenced characters. And, considering that Marvel is also one of their lines, and Transformers shared the same universe for a few years, its rather fitting that the same system works so well ^_^

VS uses a small group of card types: Characters, Equipment, Locations, and Plot Twists. All of these are fairly evident. Plot Twists are the special effects, like spells, usually realting to in-story events and effects. Locations are, again, rather obvious: The Fortress of Solitude, X-Mansion, and, in our case, Cybertron, Iacon, Mt. St. Hilary and the like. Equipment, a less common card than the others, features tools and signiture equipment of the given characters. Finally, we have the characters themselves, which feature attack and defensive information as well as group affiliations, additional powers, and the like.

Play works out much like any other card game. Players take turns placing resources, hiring characters to battle, attacking each other, etc. Attacking characters compare their ATK scores to the Defender's DEF values, highest wins. For the nitty-gritty, I suggest dropping by the site (see sig) or Upper Deck's VS site for the complete rules.

Transformers VS-
    And now then, here's a bit about the TFVS releases.

"Transform" keyword - replicates our favorite robot's ability to go from everyday item to super robot. The "Transform" keyword carries with it the following text: "Activate (tap, essentially) -> Remove this card from the game. Search your deck for another copy of this character, with a different version, and put it into play exausted (tapped). If the version you removed from play was a "Robot" version, search your deck for an "Alternate". If the version you removed was an "Alternate", search your deck for a "Robot".

This is our fun little "mechanic of the block" so to speak. Transformers in general will carry this ability, unless designed otherwise (Action Masters, Transformers with otherwise worthless alt. modes, etc). What this will do, and encourage, is craft decks where it is possible to drop larger characters faster through this gating method. Start out early, drop a couple simple cards, then POW, Transform to Robot mode and total awesomeness :D 

Autobots and Decepticons as of now each have a target build concept behind the decks. Because of the sheer difference in the number of characters in the first couple waves, Autobots have a distinct advantage in terms of numbers, but the Decepticons are still a threat. So, the end result is that the Autobots are pletiful but individually weak, while the Decepticons are fewer but stronger. The idea with an Autobot deck is to load up on small characters and then attack en masse, bolstering the force with some Plot Twists and the aide of characters like Optimus Prime, as well as Mirage, Hound, and Ratchet. The Decepticons, meanwhile, focus on getting big, fast. Early cards out of the gate include a Cybertron Seeker jet that lets you fish out Starscream and his allies. Soundwave is a cheap early piece of equipment in his alternate form, allowing you to build your own mini-army to hold off the Autobot onslaught while you get the big guys powered up.

So, with some of this in mind, I'd like to start picking some brains for some ideas on what else could be done with this to make it a great TF card game. I've got a few of the cards that have me scratching my head as to what their powers or abilities should be, so I'll post those up here now, along with some other fun stuff from the site.
    If you're not familiar with the VS System, go ahead and make any suggestions you have anyway- for the most part, anything you can think of the system can pull off one way or another.

As far as cards:
    Cybertron - A Location card, and home to all Transformers. I'm thinking something reletively generic, benefit to both Autobots and Deceps...

The Ark - An Equipment card, a rather iconic item in Transformers lore as just about every incarnation references or has one of their own. Its function is part shuttle, part home, part hospital, and its capable of refitting transformers to new worlds...

Autobot Cars - Ironhide, Sideswipe, Prowl, some of the G1 cars are escaping me right now as to what works...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. lordsidious001

lordsidious001 Well-Known Member

played the marvel one a couple of times never got huge into it. but this one i would go play. by the way nice job at getting the card discriptions and everything down

3. daMooseVS

Most excellent ^_^ Means we've got some who know the system a bit~
    As soon as I get some basic functions worked out for this G1 release, I've got an online card program, LackeyCCG, that'll let us play online so the bugs can get worked out. On the whole its looking okay, but play always tells more. Be glad to have you join us ^_^

4. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I'm not all that into CCGs and don't really have the time to play it. On the other hand I do like how the cards look and if they were real I would buy them just to collect them.

5. daMooseVS

Can always use the assist, and being that its virutal we do get to avoid a number of the pitfalls of physical CCGs, the rarity and money-sinking.
    Getting ready to put the "alpha" release to an online engine for internet play, so if you'd just like to see the game in action that'll be up soon~

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Neat idea, I <3 VS System.

Good job curbing possibly broken-ness with the "Transform" mechanic, too. First thing I'd thought was having a character Transform multiple times and basically shrinking the deck size to the player's advantage.

May want to keep a careful eye on it though...being able to swap low-drops for high-drops will need some kinda downside IMO. Being forced to go from robot to altmode and vice-versa is a good start though.

7. daMooseVS

We'll see in the online playtests just how well that works. I agree- the whole concept of being able to swap out cards at will is dangerous. For the most part, having to Activate the character to use it and getting their other form exausted should delay it enough.
    For now, in the limited tests I've done, I'm getting the larger bots out generally a turn early, so nothing SO severe, but it goes give a bit of a lead. After all, "More than meets the eye" and all that ^_^

*edit* Small thought, now that you have me thinking of it. If the character were KO'd instead of removed, the controller would take damage from the stun. "Evasion" uses a similar wording. I'm afaid that'd be too much damage, however, because we do want to encourage generous use of the Transformers trademark ability.

8. daMooseVS

Dropped down a bit I see, so pardon the bump (I know some sites don't like replies to threads that drift off page 1- I just want to keep all of this in one, neat and tidy thread ^_^)

Got some fun news: Transformers VS is available to play, online, for free! Fully illustrated and ready to rock & roll with the first wave of 70 cards for your building pleasure! Build an army of Autobots & swarm your opponent, load up on a couple of heavy artilary Decepticons and go to town anihilating your enemies, and just have a blast!

Attached, please find a couple of screens, one of the Drafting portion of play (What fun ^_^) and a shot of the game table:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Signal Lancer

Signal Lancer Brave Soldier of Justice

News Credits:
    It's probably been about 5 years since I was into CCGs, but I'd like to play this. Unfortunate for me then that I don't have a running windows box, and lackey hasn't been ported or run under wine at the moment...

10. daMooseVS

New release available on the site: Generation 1, Wave 2 Alpha set!
    Covers the second wave of figures from 1985, ALL OF THEM! ^_^ 111 cards all total, 98 of which are currently online, watch for the 13 "promos" to show up on the LackeyCCG release.
    Of particular interest in this set: Subteams! Dinobots, Insecticons, Constructicons! And, with the Constructicons, we have our first Gestalt! Discard fellow Constructicons and drop a 20/20 Devastator onto the board- nothings gonna stand in his way! We also have some of the other fun-loving Autobots, the dastardly Triple Changers, Dreamwave's favorite badguy Shockwave, and all sorts of fun to add to the TF VS game!
    This set is in a very rough stage and in need of some good TLC. Drop on by and speak up for your favorite bot and let us know what would be cool! Or, check out the attached clips to see whats in store!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I really like CCGs and, if there was one that was transformers-themed, I would TOTALLY be in on it. I think I'd enjoy it more if they were printed cards, but I uess an online version of the game would be cool too.

12. daMooseVS

Well, its online via LackeyCCG, and as soon as we get the text nailed down for the cards I'll be working something out where you'll be able to print your own decks. Been doing some testing myself, some good 110 lb Cover Stock, like the kind you get at Walmart or an office supply joint is more than durable enough for this kind of play.
    I was just geeked to find Lackey, this gives me a chance to playtest online ^_^