Transformers vs. Star Trek

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by weeklyhero, May 3, 2010.

1. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

I still reckon it's reboot by way of a sequel, sure it doesnt disgard all existing continuity, many of the event and characters of the movie occured within the original continuty but once the continuity skewed away from the original series we were in roboot land. So in short Id say its both a sequel and a reboot.

2. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

In direct response to the OP's question and thoughts, I think being a hardcore fan of anything in particular is a defining way of life more than what in particular you are a fan of. You can stereotype fans of certain things to a degree but in all honesty everyone appreciates their target in different ways.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's a lot easier to live your life in the style of Star Trek or Star Wars than in the style of Transformers. Throw on a certain design of clothes, eat certain themed foods, follow a certain creedo and religion and do up your house like a star ship. SW and ST are mostly human-like people anyway, even the aliens.

Living in the style of a Transformer would be harder. The costumes would look sillier for a start and not be as comfortable or suitable to everyday life. Would also be half measures too as it's not like you can live the main defining lifestyle part of a TF and transform and drive to work. You'd have to pretend your car is your alt mode and dress in a costume that looked like your car and make the transforming sound when you got in and out of it. Which would be extremely insane-looking to everyone and you'd probably soon find yourself in a room with padded wallpaper and wearing a nice jacket that buckles up at the back.
    At least it would be easy to consume 'energon' as you could eat jelly and drink some of those day-glo sodas. Although you'll probably then die after a short while because of a lack of proper nutrition. And unlike a real Transformer you won't be revived in a later episode.

Don't forget to dress your twin brother up like your repaint. :p 

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yup.

This.

A sequel for only the most die-hard established fans, but a significant reboot for everyone else. Hell, we don't even know for certain that Old Spock and Nero came from the exact same timeline / universe / dimension / whatever as was displayed in the 1960's TV show.

You need no knowlege what-so-effing-ever of existing Trek for JJ's Trek.

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Some just dont understand.

Thanks for the insight.

You would still be describing it incorrectly.

Time travel does have the ability to erases what came before [not that it did in this case....but thats a different debate], but since the story relies on elements of the original continuity it can never be called a reboot.

Its may have had the same effect as a reboot but its still not one.

Sorry but but thats all kind of fail.

Yes we do.

In every "time altering/universe changing/ dimension jumping/ or character doppelganger story .....we were shown by stories end that we werent seeing the original version of those characters.This did not accrue in JJ's film.

Star Trek satories are sometimes vague......but never so vague that we werent told if we were seeing alternates versions of the characters.

Furthermore, old Spock was referred to a Spock Prime in every production not in the making of the film.

Prime....as in from the Prime Universe.

Which is irrelevant.

It could be said that JJ "had his cake and ate it too" when he made this film.

The story has the "effect" of a reboot while not being one at all.

Now you can try again if you like....but theres no way around it.

JJ's film was not a "reboot".

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Hmm, I do agree with Sto vo kor on this.

7. alex_kingdom

Agreed it has the same effect as a reboot without officially being one, which is pretty much what I was saying. Star Trek (2009) has all the hallmarks of a Reboot, they just thought they'd be 'smart' and chose to tie it to the original continuity is such a way they could effectively rewrite it from the beginning. Ok technically to the anally retentive among us its not a reboot and to the obsessively pedantic it may be a sequel, but to all intents an purposes it has wiped the slate clean allowing all future movies to deviate from the original continuity as they wish. So it may not be a reboot but Star Trek continuity has been well an truely rebooted.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Now your on the right track.

Althou , according to the theory this film is based on,the original history wasnt "wiped clean".What happened was that a "new branch" was created at the point of change.

But thats a different conversation.

Thanks.

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    You wife was a douche which is why she is now your ex.

She attacked your fandom which means somehow she was threatened by it.

All I can say is you can "cool" TFs but there is no way you can "cool" the Trek.

I am a Treker not a Trekie, which means I like watching the shows but I am no where near a fan or a hardcore.

TF's....man I love me plastic crack. Check out my room with over 1000 Transformers on display and tell me it isn't a lifestyle. I never wear a TF T nor anything that would identify me as a fan but they are deep in my heart. I don't have many memories of my 8th year on this planet but I do remember the first time I watched TF on a random Sunday on the Commander Tom show. If that isn't real love what is lol.

10. alex_kingdom

I was always on the right track, thank you very much! :rolleyes: 

I would say however in effect the original history was wiped clean as it went back far enough that there is very little canon documenting what happened before that point. Yes the original history (the original continuity) continues to exist as an separate branch/alternate reality but that is by the by. The same could and has been done with any other franchise which has been rebooted, the alternate continuty will always be available to be uses as alternate realities/dimensions/universes/timelines or or can be conveniently forgotten about or ignored.

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ok:wink: 

12. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    +1

Which is a better way of saying what I did:

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

And yet you labeled it "reboot" when it technically was not.

14. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Fine.

It's a pineapple.

15. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Whoa, that got outta control.

:lol 

Yeah, I'm with you, dude. Cool that it's tied to the series, but it's still functionally a reboot. 'Cept for some rather convoluted plot points, none of which were crucial to the overall story, and an expectation of some serious suspension of disbelief (both done out of courtesy to the fans), it would be a reboot in every sense of the word.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

That I can get behind.

17. Deathbringer

Deathbringer Banned

OPTIMUS Prime+Shatner's voice--Awesomeness.

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    My favorite scene in Star Trek is that one scene where the Star Trek Enterprise blows up the big square ship and the Death Star comes out of it and they fight the girl that looks like C3P0 and then they meet a whole bunch of Mr. Spocks!!!!

19. E.Rabbot

E.Rabbot Abundant Member

Was that on Enterprise? I love that show.

20. ROTF Sideswipe

ROTF Sideswipe Well-Known Member

Being a major Star Trek fan, I take offense to that. But anyway.

I may be a huge (And I do mean Huge) Star Trek fan, but atleast I am not so much of a bigot and a "Fandom Racist" to insult other people and their fandoms. Okay, your a Star Wars fan, hell, so am I. I wouldn't put it beyond myself to dress up as Qui-Gon Jinn.

I am also a Transformers fan, but it's a little harder to dress up as Optimus or Bumblebee then it is to dress up as a Jedi Master or Captain Kirk.

Therin lies the problem. People like me usually shrug off the usual debate between which is better, Star Wars or Star Trek, because, in my own humble opinion, both are good. In a perfect world, everyone would like everything, but this is not a perfect world. Also, in a perfect world, a lot more people would be like me. But alas.